What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Well done folks - thought that one was a little different. I have a friend who has today flown back to her family in Bulgaria - which is what made me think of it.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      But i will throw in something out of the row, because during my search i stumpled by hazard over the following. I am sure, it is not difficult to find, did not crosscheck, so surely popping up Similar Pictures, but what an interesting story. I could not hold on.

Strange building:

Can still be seen in the background. Is there a relationship?

What kind of plane is that?
      Don't you remember, Ralf? Thijs set us this ages ago see #840 -872. Cecilia eventually found two articles about it, one was Wiki see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan and the other was: http://ru-aviation.livejournal.com/1347006.html (in Russian).
      Just now I can't remember what the building is, and it's getting late - must to bed.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I see.... of course you remember three days of search, leaded by Thijs' clues. I was not aware of this one, because it was during Christmas and i was not logged in. I joined your next one again, with the baskets full of sponges.

I came to it while flying over the Black and Caspian Sea to watch out for Mark's place and was immediately fascinated.
        I have no proove for the relationship of the building and the Ekranoplan project, but the tower habit of the building is obvious.
        It was called "Caspian Sea Monster", because the Secret Service for a long time did not regognize it from early satellite pictures.
        A detailed report of the project can be seen here, combined with stunning sequences of the "flying ship":

Part 1:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujrne...eature=related
        Part 2:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvyXd...eature=related
        Part 3:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFwCp...eature=related

The is even a society of private people which wants to complete the last, unfinished one!

So thank you for pushing me to Thijs puzzle and sorry, Ombugge for stepping inbetween, i was so fascinated yesterday about my find, i had to share it.

Over to you, Ombugge!
        Last edited by Ralf__; March 29th, 2012, 09:26.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Found another interesting Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2zs-7je_s
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Here is the next one for y'll:

Should be plenty of recognizable features here, but hopefully not enough for Google to pick

Comment

Hmm - looks a lot like the 'a few images from Burma' thread. Coincidence?
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Hmm - looks a lot like the 'a few images from Burma' thread. Coincidence?
                Yes, coincident..........

Comment

No takers?? OK let me widen the view a bit:

View all the way to the open sea.

Comment

Well, perhaps a bit of stalking needed here. We know from 'Ports of the World' that you were recently at Bintulu. This doesn't look like Bintulu to me (all right, to Google Earth!). So tracking back a bit, a quick search for flights from Singapore to Bintulu takes us either via KL or Kuching. Doesn't look like KL - but there are some bits and pieces that look like Kuching - especially the stadium which could be Sarawak Stadium.

I'm not by any means certain - but is it Kuching Ombugge? (Since no-one else is guessing!!)
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You have done it again Mark.
                      Yes, this is Kuching and from my recent trip to Bintulu.
                      That last picture show a peculiar feature; relatively tall hills at the coast with a flat river delta area otherwise.
                      I'll be posting some more aerial pictures from Kuching and Sarawak later.

Kuching is an interesting town with a long history. The largest town and the capital of Sarawak, with a large Chinese population, although the relative numbers have shrunk with the large number of Malays from the Peninsula having arrived since Sarawak joined Malaysia in 1963.

It was the capital during the Brooks family reign in Sarawak for over 100 years.
                      Here is a link to the wikipedia page about Kuching: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuching

Kuching = Cat (in Bahasa Malayu)

Back to you Mark.

Comment

Got lucky.

OK - what about this one. Not one of mine (wish it was!) - will credit when solved (about 20 minutes if as per normal!).

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

At first glance, Buenos Aires???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                            At first glance, Buenos Aires???
                            Afraid not. Nowhere near the sea.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh well, it was worth a try. Reminded me of a part of Buenos Aires, along Avenida 25. de Mayo:

It is 30 year anniversary for my first visit to Argentina and Buenos Aires in a couple of days, so my memory may be a little rusty.

Now let's see if we can narrow it down a little more;
                              It is far from the sea, but there may be a fairly large river somewhere in the background on your picture?
                              Wide avenues, but not too much traffic. Not many West European inland cities has that. (Driving on the right by the way)
                              The area looks flat, at least within the picture frame, so maybe on a floodplain along a major river, or at a river delta into a lake or inland sea?
                              No determinable pictures or readable letters on those posters, so that doesn't help much.
                              The architecture is mixed but mostly low raised and kind of "boxy".

Conclusion; East Europe or Russia? Most likely Russia.
                              Last edited by ombugge; April 4th, 2012, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                Conclusion; East Europe or Russia? Most likely Russia.
                                You're incredible Ombugge! Yes, it's Russia.

That does however narrow it down to 9 time zones, places inhabited by 140 million people, and 17 million square km.

That'll probably mean that it takes you as long as 10 minutes to completely solve the puzzle!
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X