Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    No, we are not in the Free State, but no too far away from there. The area we are in borders the Free State. But seeing that the Free State is bordered on all sides, i am not sure how much this information will help you.

If it helps, you should stay within a 200mile radius of Winburg.
    I haven't had much time to look at this one today. only to determine that Winburg is right smack in the middle of the Free State and that 200 miles means this is reasonably close to the border somewhere. Since one side boarders Lesotho, which is technically NOT South Africa (??)
    I think we are somewhere to the West of Winburg and the Free State, maybe near Kimberley???

Comment

This appears to be a one horse race at the moment, Ombugge leads Ombugge by half a mile. But is he running in the right direction? Nope! Not near Kimberley i afraid.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
        This appears to be a one horse race at the moment, Ombugge leads Ombugge by half a mile. But is he running in the right direction? Nope! Not near Kimberley i afraid.
        The usual search techniques aren't helping me - so I'm going for Plan B and watching Ombugge home in!!

200 mile radius! Cheers Steve!!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ahh - progress!!

St Michaels Church, Mooi River in KwaZulu Natal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew_ashton/3619920882/

That took some finding - in the end I kept coming back to another church that wasn't right - Pacaltsdorp in the Western Cape. I clicked 'similar images', and that eventually brought me to this gem. It's a beautiful little building isn't it.

I could never have got there if Ombugge hadn't narrowed it down though.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
            Ahh - progress!!

St Michaels Church, Mooi River in KwaZulu Natal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew_ashton/3619920882/
            Very well done Mark, very impressed that you found the image i used. But, are you sure that the church is named correctly on that link? Is that really St Michael's Church in the picture?

Now i could be mean and send you off to double check, but i will let you off. After finding that photo i wanted to learn a bit more about the church in case i needed to provide clues. Try finding any other photos of St Micheal's Anglican Church, Mooi River on google, other than those found in that album. My guess is you will struggle. I looked for ages and could not find any. There is a St Micheal's Church in Mooi River, it's near the centre of town and it looks nothing like the church in that photo.

A bit of investigating and i finally discovered this page on the interweb thingy. http://chillbike.co.za/enter/?tag=mooi-river

And this one that shows the church in the news recently.
            http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=75920

So the photo actually shows St Andrews Anglican Church, it is situated a few miles out from the town itself. I did find it eventually on Google Earth, i was going to post a grab shot, but my broadband connection is broken at the moment, only giving 100kbps down speed, so i am not even going to attempt firing up G/E.

Anyway, very well done for finding that one, very few photos to be found on the web, so you done well, even with Ombugge guessing South Africa, and narrowing it down to the adjoining state so quickly, that still left a lot of South Africa to search. Good job (But get the name right next time!!)

Have to agree though, it's a lovely looking building, hard to believe it's 100 years old, it looks like it could have been built yesterday.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Yep - you're right - it must be St Andrew's - but there was at least one other photo on the net from another photographer, also labelled as St Michael's!!

Should have settled for just saying "Mooi River". Great puzzle Steve.

Try this one - see if one of my puzzles can last longer than an hour.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

...somewhere in Greece?
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  ...somewhere in Greece?
                  Nope.

(I'm following the Ombugge method of detailed responses!)
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

...Ukraine?

(only the most necessary words - a real male conversation)

Comment

...Ukraine?

No. But right hemisphere!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

That means around the Black Sea?

Comment

...Ukraine?

Europe???

(I'm joining the male conversation and the homing instinct kicking in)

PS> Well done on that last one, Mark. I had more or less given up and no time to look at more churches and Chapels.
                          Every damned little hamlet in SA has a church or more and every resort has a Chapel.
                          Last edited by ombugge; March 28th, 2012, 13:23. Reason: Add PS

Comment

First I thought to Canary Islands,I saw there that kind of fummels.But the hill is not volcanic,seems to be limestone.So considering tiled roofs ,wooden windows and doors, accacia tree, pavement of street,white number plate,dry river bank, I'd say south of spain.
                            Lost again, he says!

Comment

Melik, Bulgaria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melnik,_Bulgaria

I kind of "cheated" a bit here, since I used the Similar function in Google and up came this very similar picture:

I normally don't do that, but I was kind of clueless.

Sorry Mark, but it did last more than an hour.

Comment

Oh! Right, Bulgaria is also using kyrillic letters (the blue sun umbrella was my clue). Somewhat told me that this would be a village ashore the sea. So i spend some time around Krim but couldn't find a fitting landscape. And then Mark erased Ukraine...

But i will throw in something out of the row, because during my search i stumpled by hazard over the following. I am sure, it is not difficult to find, did not crosscheck, so surely popping up Similar Pictures, but what an interesting story. I could not hold on.

Strange building:

Can still be seen in the background. Is there a relationship?

What kind of plane is that?

Comment

Working...
                                X