What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I have to admit that I was lucky - I'd convinced myself Steve was right with Canada, so I searched Lighthouse, Horse, Canda, and it appeared!! That was a good one Ivy, 'cos it really could have been in any of a very large number of countries. Yvneac hit the two I originally thought of.

So .. on a very similar theme (and again to be credited when solved) - what about this one? Not all that dissimilar to Ivy's.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

New Zealand's North Island, Wellington region.

Cape Palliser Lighthouse?

http://www.tikitouring.co.nz/wairara...lighthouse.htm

I googled 'Lighthouse and coast road' for that one.

I nearly missed it in the google results because the picture of the lighthouse is squished, making it look thinner and taller.
      Last edited by Steve.B; March 22nd, 2012, 02:33.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Yep - absolutely. I was just struck by how far away it was from Ivy's lighthouse, and yet how it looked similar. I suppose there are only so many ways of putting a light on top of a shed!

Well done Steve - yours!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You nightbirds .....!
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The nightbird caught the worm, or in this case, a lighthouse. Could not sleep last night, so thought i would have a bash at the latest offering.

Ok, let's toughen things up just a little, or at least try.

Which Place is This?

Photo Credit - jacashgone's flickr album. Creative Commons license
            Last edited by Steve.B; March 28th, 2012, 02:04. Reason: Attributing Photo
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Now Steve, you led us a merry, very enjoyable dance once, are you trying it again? Is this by chance a miniature or model church and lychgate?
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                Now Steve, you led us a merry, very enjoyable dance once, are you trying it again? Is this by chance a miniature or model church and lychgate?
                I must admit that this building does look very immaculate, just like a newly built model. But i assure you this one is the real deal. Maybe it had just been restored shortly before the photo was taken, or even just built. That's not a clue by the way, well not that i am aware of. But i think i should go off and see what facts i can find out about this place, just so i am ready with clues if needed.

Comment

First thought; are we in Australia???
                  Hunter Valley maybe??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    First thought; are we in Australia???
                    Hunter Valley maybe??
                    I am feeling quietly confident that this one will keep you all busy for a while to come, so i have no problems in ruling out the whole of Australia for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      I am feeling quietly confident that this one will keep you all busy for a while to come, so i have no problems in ruling out the whole of Australia for you.
                      OK, at first glans it looked like somewhere semi-dry, where tin roofs are still common and a lot of sand stones are available as building material.
                      My first search with the criteria; Sand stone chapel with square tower, Australia turned up a lot of wedding chapels in in Hunter Valley.
                      Maybe I need to get more serious about this one, time permitting.

PS> I just noticed that this thread has become one of the most viewed (>82,500 views) and with the most posts (nearly 2,400)
                      A lot of guests, not just a few consummate "Puzzlers" visiting regularly.
                      Last edited by ombugge; March 24th, 2012, 05:32. Reason: Add PS

Comment

I guess we are in South Africa, but haven't found the match yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          I guess we are in South Africa, but haven't found the match yet.
                          Well i was not expecting someone to narrow this one down so quickly, but well done Ombugge, we are indeed in South Africa. But luckily for me South Africa is rather large, so still a long way to go yet. Again, very impressed you found your way there so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            Well i was not expecting someone to narrow this one down so quickly, but well done Ombugge, we are indeed in South Africa. But luckily for me South Africa is rather large, so still a long way to go yet. Again, very impressed you found your way there so quickly.
                            Having a curious mind and good general knowledge is the key. Having traveled the world for 52 years may help a bit as well.
                            I'll look for the right chapel or whatever tomorrow, if the puzzle hasn't been solved by then.

Correction, that should read 53 years now.
                            Last edited by ombugge; March 24th, 2012, 18:27.

Comment

You have found a difficult one here and South Africa is indeed big, with any number of sand stone churches and chapels.
                              Let me try to narrow it down a bit. Are we in the Free State??
                              Why the Free State?? I notice a lot of sand stone buildings with similar colour there, and the area is suitably dry.

Comment

No, we are not in the Free State, but no too far away from there. The area we are in borders the Free State. But seeing that the Free State is bordered on all sides, i am not sure how much this information will help you.

If it helps, you should stay within a 200mile radius of Winburg.

Comment

Working...
                                X