Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    According to the french small boat registery, MA is Marseille.
    (So that's the closest answer I can give).
    Right,Sterkoder you're almost arrived.Just sail further east and enjoy the cliffs on babord(left side in english?)

Comment

As always, I'll venture a guess, without having found an absolute match; Les Goudes???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        As always, I'll venture a guess, without having found an absolute match; Les Goudes???
        Very near ombugge.Les Goudes is a charming little port on the outskirts of Marseille.The puzzle harbour is situated very close of it.
        Two clues:French word CALANQUES and English word BLACKCURRANT.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          Very near ombugge.Les Goudes is a charming little port on the outskirts of Marseille.The puzzle harbour is situated very close of it.
          Two clues:French word CALANQUES and English word BLACKCURRANT.
          In that case I think we are in the town of Cassis, still within the Marseilles Province:

Link to Blackcurrant?? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_de_cassis

Comment

[QUOTE=ombugge;84764]In that case I think we are in the town of Cassis, still within the Marseilles Province:

That's it.CALANQUES is the geologic word naming the canyoned cliffs between Marseille and Cassis.The french translation of blackcurrent is cassis.
            Nice place both for sailing,diving or scaling.The castle(13th century) in the background is actually owned by MICHELIN family (tyres).
            Well done,Ombugge. Yves.

Comment

Since Yves kind of jumped the gun here, it is only fair to hand the baton back to Sterkoder, who had actually solve the previous puzzle.

If he doesn't have anything ready I am ready to jump in however.
              Last edited by ombugge; March 18th, 2012, 14:31.

Comment

Since Sterkoder doesn't appear to have anything to occupy the puzzlers yet, I take the liberty to post the next one.

This should keep you occupied a while, I hope:

Warning!!! Since it is not one of my own pictures it is no use to try to figure out where I have been lately.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Warning!!! Since it is not one of my own pictures it is no use to try to figure out where I have been lately.
                  Hmmm - but following you around Asia is one of the best bits of this thread!

Peru? Sacred Valley, Pisac? Near Machu Picchu?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_knmk9YAl4A...credValley.JPG
                  Last edited by PoloUK; March 18th, 2012, 19:28.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Beat me by half an hour, while I was busy being good and uploading my 366 photo! Grr-rr.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; March 18th, 2012, 20:01.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      Beat me by half an hour, while I was busy being good and uploading my 366 photo! Grr-rr.
                      Are we sure it's right then Ivy?

If so, I just got lucky with Google - whereas you were being artistic with a stunning camellia!!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Seems to be a wet climate.
                        Former terraced cultures.
                        Exept the river it could be Madeira or Azores islands.
                        Maybe North Portugal ????

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                          Are we sure it's right then Ivy?

If so, I just got lucky with Google - whereas you were being artistic with a stunning camellia!!
                          99.9% sure, because I found several possible photos and then one which although not Ombugge's gave the roads on the opposite side of the river exactly as in the puzzle, as well as terrain markings on the mountain side coming down to the roads, as well as other similarities in the foreground.
                          Will now spend all night trying to locate the photos I saw.

Later.
                          There are loads, but this is the one that clinched it for me:
                          http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pisac012.jpg
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; March 19th, 2012, 00:23.
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            99.9% sure, because I found several possible photos and then one which although not Ombugge's gave the roads on the opposite side of the river exactly as in the puzzle, as well as terrain markings on the mountain side coming down to the roads, as well as other similarities in the foreground.
                            Will now spend all night trying to locate the photos I saw.
                            That makes sense - the photo I linked to in my answer looks right too - the hairpin bend on the far side of the river, and the strange rectangular enclosure opposite.

Hopefully Ombugge can confirm in the morning (which it nearly is where he is!).
                            Last edited by PoloUK; March 19th, 2012, 00:14.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I must emphasise that it was a relief to get a puzzle which was out of Europe and a certain part of Asia , did not involve knowledge of cars, or familiarity with a particular country by some but not all participants. This is how it was when I first joined in ages ago. We all started on a level playing field, all equally ignorant and relying on wits and reasoning and whatever else we could conjure up in order to ID the object, the terrain or the building set.
                              By choosing other photographers' photos which are in the common domain, there is still plenty of scope for good puzzles. I fouind this one particularly interesting because it made me think.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; March 19th, 2012, 00:42.
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                                Hmmm - but following you around Asia is one of the best bits of this thread!

Peru? Sacred Valley, Pisac? Near Machu Picchu?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_knmk9YAl4A...credValley.JPG
                                Well I'll be de***, solved within an hour. I realized that it was in South America would be easy to establish from the terrain, but not that it was such a well known place to some.

Our oldest son were tracking in the area a week or so ago and sent some nice pictures: incl. this typical one of Machu Picchu:

I should have picked this one in stead:

Or this one:

One of those may have lasted longer. Well back to you Mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X