What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I'm studying that image until my eyes hurt, but can't find any clues to where we might be.
    I don't know what letters I see any more and in what order they must come, and I can't find the place with such buildings along the dockside with trees behind, and clearly a higher city center behind that again.
    The only clue must be that it seems like there are no difference between high- and low tide, and that means we have to be around the southern part of Norway.
    Can't use more time on this (have to socialize with family too)..., will have to wait on an answer.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

With the various clues and conclusions drawn by you all, I'm puzzled that this puzzle hasn't been solved long ago.

With Sterkoder's observation of the tides and Mark's direct questions (the answer to which is; Yes) and observations, the answer is more or less given.

Comment

I've trawled (on the map) this city, but not at that place due to info that this building should be a "main attraction". (I now see what you mean).

It's out at Sandvigå in Stavanger, but don't ask me about what company once held the building

Comment

Well done Svein - that took some doing!!

I'd had a happy 20 - 30 minutes around Stavanger on Google Earth, without making any progress. For some daft (work related reasons!) I'd got stuck with Sandnes, but couldn't find anything vaguely similar there.

That kept us out of trouble for a week then.
          Last edited by PoloUK; March 12th, 2012, 10:34.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            I've trawled (on the map) this city, but not at that place due to info that this building should be a "main attraction". (I now see what you mean).

It's out at Sandvigå in Stavanger, but don't ask me about what company once held the building
            You are right, the old building in the picture is at Sandvigaa 27 and today contains a variety of offices for companies and organization.
            As far as I know it was originally owned and used by Stavanger Canning Company. (hence SCC)
            I could not find anything to prove that though, but maybe somebody with more local knowledge can confirm.

The picture was taken from a tug passing by when I was in Stavanger in Sept. last year.
            By accident I tinted it in Sapia but, instead of discarding it, I saved it for use as a puzzle at some time in the future.
            I don't think anybody got confused by the tinting, though, due to the new look of the buildings around, and by all the containers, skips etc. on the wharf there.
            The area is under major upgrading into a cultural and hotel district.

As said earlier, I was surprised this one lasted that long. Now we will see what Sterkoder can come up with to match that.
            Last edited by ombugge; March 12th, 2012, 14:08.

Comment

I forgot to add some pictures I had prepared for when this puzzle got solved.

Here is the actual location of Sandvigaa 27:

And it's position relative to more well known parts of Stavanger:

A bonus picture I found showing how busy it can be in the Cruise Harbour of Stavanger:

Maybe somebody care to name the Cruise ships seen here??

Comment

the large one looks like the funnel has a letter on it, so it could be one of the Costa Cruise ships as they have the letter C on the funnel.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

looking at the fleet of Costa ships i think it is the Costa Atlantica or the Costa Mediterrenea.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

My guess is that it must be:

MSC Orchestra, Saga Pearl II, Costa Atlantica and Adonia.

Comment

Actually I am supposed to be at work...but my mind is in vacancy.Then French National Education offers you this little game:where is this port?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                        Actually I am supposed to be at work...but my mind is in vacancy.Then French National Education offers you this little game:where is this port?
                        Thanks for posting the puzzle Yvneac - I don't immediately know where it is, but I do know that it looks a lot sunnier and warmer than our little corner of England today!!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                          Thanks for posting the puzzle Yvneac - I don't immediately know where it is, but I do know that it looks a lot sunnier and warmer than our little corner of England today!!
                          My first thought; somewhere on the Med. coast of France??

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                            .....and than Normandy too!I snapped this picture in NOVEMBER...

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              My first thought; somewhere on the Med. coast of France??
                              Correct,Ombugge.Castle and boats can be a clue.

Comment

According to the french small boat registery, MA is Marseille.
                                (So that's the closest answer I can give).

Comment

Working...
                                X