Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    Alesund was also my first thought, but i had some work to do and are not really through yet. I guess it is B/W to make a picture search more difficult.
    I think there could be a way by identifying that old warehouse. There are thre big "C" on the gable. The company name begins with "S". You can see it an the side. The front sign seems to be photoshopped. Will have a look later on...
    I don't do photo shopping and have no plans to start now. What you see is what it still looks like, as far as I know.

Comment

Something tells me we are in Bergen...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        I wish the same 'something' would tell me where it was, i have had not luck yet.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Something is not telling you the truth. It is not in Bergen but you are all on the right path.

Comment

I've looked holes through that picture now without getting any closer to where this might be. The letters CSC on top of that "old" building gives me no clues whatsoever.
            In Norway, my choise would be either Ålesund or Bergen, and if it's not..., then where can it be...?
            And going through places in Norway with such houses, quais and stuff, not being the two cities mentioned, how on earth can we be on a right path?
            I need a little hint 'ombugge', just a little tiny hint...

Comment

The letters CSC on top of that "old" building gives me no clues
              Are you sure that is what you see???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                Not sure I see CSC - I think I see CCC - or they could even be Gs! But it's been a long week, so anything's possible! Not many places in Norway beginning with C are there? G possibly more likely?
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ummm, i tried C C C, G G G, C G C, still none the wiser!
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Nope, not any more. The two C's are now of different size (slightly) and the uppermost letter can be an E. And since you ask, it could well be that what I see are ornaments and not letters at all.
                    I can't puzzle this without other hints that we are on the right path....

Comment

Nope, not any more. The two C's are now of different size (slightly) and the uppermost letter can be an E. And since you ask, it could well be that what I see are ornaments and not letters at all.
                      I can't puzzle this without other hints that we are on the right path....
                      The letters CSC on top of that "old" building gives me no clues.
                      My comment there may not have been entirely fair. You had the right letters but in wrong order relative to the name of the original owners.
                      Sorry if I lead you on a wild goose chase.

By the way, "C" was commonly used in Norwegian names up to the beginning of last century.
                      Example; Christiania, Christiansand etc. (That is not to say that this is in either of those places)

Comment

I am not getting anywhere with that particular building, will now give more attention to other details. Those tyres seem to be a good target, i do not know too many harbours that rely on so many tyres like that. Maybe it is more normal in Norway, but could be worth looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                          I am not getting anywhere with that particular building, will now give more attention to other details. Those tyres seem to be a good target, i do not know too many harbours that rely on so many tyres like that. Maybe it is more normal in Norway, but could be worth looking at.
                          I wouldn't give up on that old building, as that is the main "attraction" here. The letters are the main clue as they stands for the name of the original company owning and occupying this building, which will give you the name of the place.

Comment

Just to avoid us being led up a blind alley by the master of cryptic clues, let's confirm what we think we all know!

Ombugge - are we looking for somewhere in Norway?

(We've had a "you're on the right track", and we've had a useful indication that the Norwegian 'K' towns have sometimes been 'C' towns in the past, but we've never absolutely confirmed that we are in the right country!)
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                              Just to avoid us being led up a blind alley by the master of cryptic clues, let's confirm what we think we all know!

Ombugge - are we looking for somewhere in Norway?

(We've had a "you're on the right track", and we've had a useful indication that the Norwegian 'K' towns have sometimes been 'C' towns in the past, but we've never absolutely confirmed that we are in the right country!)
                              Yes we are in Norway.

Comment

Yes we are in Norway.
                                Well, that's a start. 25,000km of coastline to start with.

Lush foliage on the trees means we're probably not too far north, and there's definitely some hills behind the building. If it was on the Hurtigruten run, someone would have spotted it by now, so I reckon we're in the bottom half, and probably the left hand side!

Let's push our luck with another direct question - I understood Ombugge to tell us that we had the right letters but in the wrong order. Even with Ombugge's helpful reminder that many Kristians were originally Christians in Norway, there aren't many 'C' towns, we're struggling:

So ... is it a town beginning with 'S'?

(Not that that helps much if it's true - Stavanger, Sandnes, Sandefjord, Stokmarknes, Svolvaer, Sortland, ........)
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X