What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I must be very careful with my clues - thin ice....you are quite close.

It is correct, that a "regular use" ended a couple of years ago, but it does not mean that the place is completely abandoned.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      I must be very careful with my clues - thin ice....you are quite close.

It is correct, that a "regular use" ended a couple of years ago, but it does not mean that the place is completely abandoned.
      Next guess!! Avus, near Berlin???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        Next guess!! Avus, near Berlin???

Olympiastadion entrance, Munich.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11803687
        Last edited by PoloUK; March 6th, 2012, 19:34.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well done Mark, that cannot of been easy to find. I looked at that stadium yesterday but failed to spot those booths. And even after seeing your answer i still could not find the one in Ralf's photo. But i did find a picture of one of the kiosks standing apart from the rest of the stadium, certainly the same design.

https://foursquare.com/v/olympiastad...64a520286b21e3

Good puzzle Ralf, certainly kept me busy for a long while. I look forward to the next offering!
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I think we need Ralf to confirm that we have got the right place - just in case! These look a fairly 'pre-fab' design, so they may be elsewhere too.

Were we right Ralf?
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Aaaah.... it was a good feeling to keep you busy for some time!
              And Ombugge was very close with his first conclusions!
              So many right guesses, sports arena, international event...but then he searched in Switzerland.
              1970ies design, next right step.

The area was built for the Olympic Games of 1972 and is still an architectural highlight (however maintenance costs a lot of money).
              The stadium was also the home for FC Bayern München until 2006, when they completed their new, own arena. A lot of people say, that the fact that they were allowed to use this wonderful stadium for a low fee, was the fundament for their financial and sportive success since then.
              Until 2006 the stadium had a regular use, now it is used for concerts and sport events several times a year.

You found the Northern main entrance to the stadium. Here most people come in from train and the parking areas (red circle).
              I photoghraphed the Southern entrance which is only accessible for pedestrians after a walk through the Olympic Park (yellow circle).
              That might be a reason, why it looks more abandoned here. I don't know, if and how often they use these ticket houses today...

Over to you again, Mark!

Comment

Right then - back into the sunshine.

What place is this?

(Attribution will follow when solved - which I anticipate may take as long as an hour!!)
                From Storeyline Tours website: http://www.storeylinetours.com.au
                Last edited by PoloUK; March 7th, 2012, 22:10.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Hmmm, driving on the left hand side of the road, palm trees but sub-tropical type vegetation. People of European stock and wearing jackets or sweaters.
                  Looks touristy. Hilly. Rock house with a water wheel stuck to the front, with a sign saying "xxxxrose". Some present or former British Colony?

I'll venture a guess; Queenstown, New Zealand??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Hmmm, driving on the left hand side of the road, palm trees but sub-tropical type vegetation. People of European stock and wearing jackets or sweaters.
                    Looks touristy. Hilly. Rock house with a water wheel stuck to the front, with a sign saying "xxxxrose". Some present or former British Colony?

I'll venture a guess; Queenstown, New Zealand??
                    No - but interesting logic. Certainly touristy and hilly.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I realized that Queenstown was a bit too far south and cold for the type of vegetation.

This is Montville, Qld,. Australia. A bit north of Brisbane and inland from the Sunshine coast:

Link: http://www.brbta.com/montville.php

Comment

Very good Ombugge. It is indeed Montville - near the stunning Glasshouse mountains. To me it looks so European - if it wasn't for the Holdens, funny number plates and abundant tropical trees, it could pass for somewhere on the Scottish borders.

I had two fantastic trips to the Sunshine Coast (clue was in the original question!) when I was working in Singapore - hence this one springing to mind as a puzzle. First trip I got sunburnt to smithereens, second trip it rained the whole time!

Particular highlight of Montville was the Camphor Cottage tea rooms and the wonderful Peach Melba there. Happy days, long time ago.

Over to you Ombugge - we're ready for the next aeroplane view of the jungle somewhere between 23N and 23S latitude!!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well done Ombugge. I had downloaded the image this morning with the intention of having a look after i had been out. Got back to find you had nailed it.

Like Mark mentions, some of the cars, the number plates and the vegetation ruled out the UK. I think i would have also been heading down under for this one. I think Mark was far too kind to us by leaving the pub name untouched. I may have been tempted to get the paint brush out.
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            Well done Ombugge. I had downloaded the image this morning with the intention of having a look after i had been out. Got back to find you had nailed it.

Like Mark mentions, some of the cars, the number plates and the vegetation ruled out the UK. I think i would have also been heading down under for this one. I think Mark was far too kind to us by leaving the pub name untouched. I may have been tempted to get the paint brush out.
                            The fact that the vegetation was tropical, or sub-tropical and the cars driving on the left just said a former or present British colony and not too far from equator. What clinched it was that there were few if non-white people to be seen, hence New Zealand or Australia was the most likely places.
                            The type of cars didn't really register with me, as I'm not much of a car person, (haven't owned one for 18 years) although I used to drive Holden and Ford Falcon in Australia at one time. (40 or more years ago, though)

Now for the next puzzle:

Where in the world is this????

Comment

It's gone quiet.

First thought is why the colour tint? Is Ombugge trying to confuse us, or is it art?

Second thought is that it looks Scandinavian to me. I had a little virtual tour around Ålesund, but can't find these buildings - that seemed like a daft idea, but Ombugge confused us with a Norwegian one when we weren't expecting it before!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Alesund was also my first thought, but i had some work to do and are not really through yet. I guess it is B/W to make a picture search more difficult.
                                I think there could be a way by identifying that old warehouse. There are thre big "C" on the gable. The company name begins with "S". You can see it an the side. The front sign seems to be photoshopped. Will have a look later on...

Comment

Working...
                                X