What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Something a little different. I didn't take this one - in fact it was taken around 80 years before I was born.

Which mountain pass is this?

Two clues: It's not in Wiltshire and there's a railway there.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Seems that this is a real puzzle! We hadn't one since a long time. The quick and classical searches were without effort. But since it is a railroad puzzle, no further clues are needed at this point. Just time...

Congratulations Mark. Good work.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Somewhere on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway in India.

That is about the only mountain railway I can think of that is old enough to match your statement; "in fact it was taken around 80 years before I was born".

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          Somewhere on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway in India.

That is about the only mountain railway I can think of that is old enough to match your statement; "in fact it was taken around 80 years before I was born".
          Aren't the rails a little too far apart for that?
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

According to Wiki, the Nilgiri Mountain Railway was built in 1908. That makes Mark a young stripling barely out of his teens. (Better not put in a smiley here - he asked me to be nice to him a while ago.....)
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Would it be correct to say that Ombugge is in the correct continent but wrong country?
              Then if the answer is "No" is he in the correct continent?
              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 29th, 2012, 19:00.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                Would it be correct to say that Ombugge is in the correct continent but wrong country?
                Then if the answer is "No" is he at least in the correct continent?
                Right continent - and country - but it's a big one!!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Could we be somewhere along the Western Ghats? Possibly near Bhor Ghat?
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                    Could we be somewhere along the Western Ghats? Possibly near Bhor Ghat?
                    That is an absolutely spectacular bit of detective work Steve! Yep, we're on one of the reversing sidings on Bhore Ghat, on the Great Indian Peninsular Railway between Bombay and Poonah.

This one is from the Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co archive (the antecedent of the company I work for today), taken some time in the 1890s. One of WB&S's ancestors was the Saxby & Farmer Company - set up by the inventor of railway signalling, John Saxby (a man with a stellar beard!).

Bhore Ghat was signalled with S&F equipment, and the archive therefore benefited from the addition of some stunning glass slides like this one from some time in the 1890s. Legendary Railway author O S Nock highlighted this part of the GIPR as a particularly important milestone in railway technology in his centennial history of Westinghouse, A Hundred Years of Safety - written in 1980, but not published until 2006 when I managed to get the Company's permission to print, many years after Nock's death.

The railway is still there today, but looks rather different.

Superb Steve, well done.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh how well done, Steve. And many thanks to you, Mark, for all the information about it. Now that was a really good puzzle.
                      Ivy

Comment

Brilliant puzzle, Mark, i enjoyed going after that one. Many moons ago i posted a puzzle that showed Karnala Fort, Maharashtra. When i first looked at your image i thought the terrain and plant life looked very similar, so i started looking in that direction.

I struggled to find a photo that showed the same, or a similar view to your image. Plus i realised that your photo must pre-date 1929 because the line was electrified by then (1500v DC - Ouch, don't touch!).

But eventually i found this image, i believe your photo must have been taken from the far right in this view, possibly a bit further back.

Not sure how much of this section survives today, looking on google earth it's hard to even see where this section is. Lot's of roads have been built. The railway these days has just been converted to 25kv AC operation.

That is going to be a tough puzzle to follow. i shall see what i can find.
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

It was an amazing bit of railway construction at the time, and the fact that it was fully signalled was pretty significant too.

Glad you enjoyed that one - there are some 400 odd photos in the archive, mostly of railways and mostly of signalling, but also of brakes for trains and lorries, control gear for power stations, ships and anything else you can think of, colliery plant -all sorts of things.

Maybe there'll be more in this thread in the future.

Well done again Steve.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

After several hours of looking, i think i may have found something that will provide a little interest. Which town can we see in this one?

Which Place is This?

Photo credit - Fenners1984. Creative Commons Licence
                            Last edited by Steve.B; March 2nd, 2012, 19:52. Reason: Adding link to larger image - just too kind to you all :-)

Comment

Well I'm going with Alpine: Switzerland, France or Austria.

Immediate suspicion is Lauterbrunnen - but I can't convince myself yet.
                              Last edited by PoloUK; March 1st, 2012, 13:57.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Mark, i agree. The houses down in the valley look very much Swiss, also the railroad. But i don't think, we 're in Lauterbrunnen, the waterfall in completely different and i couldn't find such a bridge there.

The bridge looks very much like Ponte della Boggia in Italy, but i cannot confirm the surrounding - and as i said, valley and houses look different.

Steve, i was very impressed about your quick solution of the railroad puzzle. The signals and technical equipment was leading me to Great Britain, as well as the apparent age of the picture. So in was searching and quite disappointed that the signals there looked all similar (same type), but had different color markers. Also the signal box building looked very British. And since there are no high mountain passes in GB i didn't even had the idea that this could be a reverse place. Of course it fits, if you know and have a closer look. That would have quickly leaded me to the right country, but --- i was to fixed to my first suggestion.

But now we have a second thrilling picture now in row, so let's proceed our research...
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X