Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    an old image (but i made it this afternoon) of a city at a river.
    now which city,which river and which country,is this i think 30 years old image taken.
    i painted some things,other wise it would to easy

that issn''t any problem Mark,i placed this puzzle in sept last year,from a travel brochure.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
      that issn''t any problem Mark,i placed this puzzle in sept last year,from a travel brochure.
      Excellent Thijs - thank you - that gives me some more options for the future!

Today's puzzle has lasted longer than I expected - I thought it was a '10 minuter'.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Vardo tunnel, east bound.http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...t:429,r:7,s:41
        Last edited by wherrygirl; February 26th, 2012, 12:48.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Well done Ivy - yep, one end of the tunnel between the mainland and the island of Vardø, Norway's most easterly 'by' (I'm not getting caught up in that village, town, city thing again!).

Norway's first Undersea tunnel, many have followed this one, but the Hurtigruten is probably still the main means of approach for any non-residents - hence I thought it would be worth a go.

I did worry that someone may have remembered that I mentioned that my wife is a Vardø witch previously. Meant in an entirely non-derogatory fashion, this is simply a reference to the fact that Vardø was one of the prime places in Norway to seek and kill witches - or women who could be considered, from time to time, witch like! This was as recently as the second half of the 17th Century.

For the record, that little Rover had done something like 2,400 miles (just under 4,000km) from home by that stage on a visit to see my much loved, but sadly now departed Mother-in-Law.

As an aside: I remember on that trip stopping at Ivalo in Finland for some petrol. A big Finnish bloke drew up to the car in his massive JCB, and shouted down: "Good car in winter". I hadn't got a clue what he meant, although we hadn't seen any cars like ours since Denmark, so I said "Yes, good car." He shouted down again - "No, really good car in winter", and then he added "I did the winter testing for Rover up here a couple of years ago - this is a good car". During the long summer days, it's often easy to forget that one of the big industries in the coldest bits of Sweden and Finland is the environmental testing of the new European cars - as borne out by the pictures in the Scandinavian press at the moment of various new Mercs and BMWs being tortured in ridiculously low temperatures.
          Last edited by PoloUK; February 26th, 2012, 15:16.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Just discovered that the first attempt to post the puzzle pic. was still here, I had difficulty in posting it, goodness knows why. So have deleted it.
            Last edited by wherrygirl; February 27th, 2012, 13:48.
            Ivy

Comment

Strange how easily this solution appeared in contrast to previous problems. Looking at the tunnel I quickly decided that it must be under water and appropriate keywords produced the answer a few rows down the photos. Yes, Mark, I had not forgotten that your wife is from Norway, but must admit I did not remember her actual home-town, and even when I solved the puzzle it did not ring any bells.
              Right - next one, where is it?

Last edited by wherrygirl; February 27th, 2012, 13:04.
              Ivy

Comment

Strange how easily this solution appeared in contrast to previous problems. Looking at the tunnel I quickly decided that it must be under water and appropriate keywords produced the answer a few rows down the photos. Yes, Mark, I had not forgotten that your wife is from Norway, but must admit I did not remember her actual home-town, and even when I solved the puzzle it did not ring any bells.
                Right - next one, where is it?

Somewhere trying to compete with Aksla, in Aalesund?? (418 steps)

Comment

I'm sure there was no element of competition here!
                  Ivy

Comment

I'm sure there was no element of competition here!
                    Well, we can see what is at one end of the steep steps, a small town and probably a bit of touristy stuff.
                    But what is at the other end is the key here I think. I have tried Light house, but without luck, so far.
                    The fact that there is lights shows that it is not a disused step to some derelict war time installation,I think.
                    Last edited by ombugge; February 27th, 2012, 14:18.

Comment

I tried to search for "longest staircase" and a lot of other results popped up. But a bit further down there was a description of the "longest straight staircase in the world": And there it is: Jacobs Ladder in St.Helena. The island which is still without airport and therfore is still served by the last "Royal Mail Ship" RMS St.Helena!

http://todayilearned.co.uk/2011/12/1...has-699-steps/

http://rms-st-helena.com/

As you can read the stairs were first used as a kind of funicular (cable car).
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Well, I'm blowed. Very well done, Ralf. I really thought that this would be a relatively obscure one, it was not in anybody's favourite haunts, highly unlikely that anyone on CVF had been there so gave an equal platform for all to start from.
                        The site I had it from said that it was used for carts to carry produce down and manure up to the farms in the interior of the island. The carts used the slides each side of the steps and had to be carefully balanced one each side.
                        So, Ralf, over to you.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; February 27th, 2012, 21:19.
                        Ivy

Comment

O.K., one with special regards to Thijs:

Where is it?

Comment

Historic windmill near Schloss Sanssoucci, Potsdam?

Searched in google.de for muhle, garten!!

http://www.parkettstudio24.de/files/...11/picture.jpg

http://www.spsg.de/index.php?id=158
                            Last edited by PoloUK; February 28th, 2012, 15:50.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              I tried to search for "longest staircase" and a lot of other results popped up. But a bit further down there was a description of the "longest straight staircase in the world": And there it is: Jacobs Ladder in St.Helena. The island which is still without airport and therfore is still served by the last "Royal Mail Ship" RMS St.Helena!

http://todayilearned.co.uk/2011/12/1...has-699-steps/

http://rms-st-helena.com/

As you can read the stairs were first used as a kind of funicular (cable car).
                              So it does beat the steps to Aksla (418 steps)

Jacob's Ladder is also the name used for a simple rope ladder at sea.

Amazing the places we end up in this thread.

Comment

Of course you made it, Mark. It seems nearly impossible to take a picture of a place, which isn't already shown in the net...
                                This time i made no crosscheck. I just thought there are so many windmills, google will not find it at once... wrong thought.

Over to you!

Comment

Working...
                                X