What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Steve, this is very interesting. I did exactly as you said, then clicked on sites with images at the side which was 100% useless, I've never seen such a miscellany of pics. in my life, no relation whatsoever to the search criteria.
    Using those immortal words: "Where did I go wrong?"
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

By the way, the Silhouettes thread comes under Photo Galleries, Rookie and Pro, i.e. it is a personal thread, not for general posting which can be done under Photo Assignments.
      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Steve, this is very interesting. I did exactly as you said, then clicked on sites with images at the side which was 100% useless, I've never seen such a miscellany of pics. in my life, no relation whatsoever to the search criteria.
        Using those immortal words: "Where did I go wrong?"
        Not sure what you did different to me, Ivy.

This is the search i did.
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&...89l189l0.1l1l0

About 5 rows down you should see this image.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=rus...w=1152&bih=708

Forth image down on that page shows the cliffs and railings from a different angle. From that image i got the location.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Now let's see what the search words; "Iron gate in stone wall" will bring.
          I'm sure you have done your homework so it will lead me on a wild goose chase. But that is for tomorrow, if the puzzle last that long. Good night.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            Not sure what you did different to me, Ivy.

This is the search i did.
            http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&...89l189l0.1l1l0
            Oh Steve, what next???? I clicked your link and got this from Google:

Your search - rusty iron railings along the seafront +chalk - did not match any image results.
            Sorry to go sort of OT on this and interrupt the flow of the current puzzle, (that's if it hasn't already been solved as I've just come home and haven't checked) but I just don't understand what's happening here. How can it be?
            Last edited by wherrygirl; February 24th, 2012, 20:19.
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              Oh Steve, what next???? I clicked your link and got this from Google:
              Sorry to go sort of OT on this and interrupt the flow of the current puzzle, (that's if it hasn't already been solved as I've just come home and haven't checked) but I just don't understand what's happening here. How can it be?
              Isn't that weird - Google has a mind of its own. I clicked Steve's link, got loads of piccies up, one of which was the beach at St Margaret's.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ivy, if your using Firefox it might be worth clearing your cache, i have had a few similar problems with this version of Firefox (10.0.2).

If not, what have you done to upset Google, you on their blacklist?
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Cleared it about 6 times, clicking on your URL each time - still the same old drivel. I can get the second url, at least when it comes to your pic. I can get a thin strip across the top. Below that is a green pattern, then below that blank.
                  Definitely, Google doesn't love me any more.
                  Many thanks, Steve, but not to worry. Back to the gate and see if we can hammer our way through that.
                  Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Now let's see what the search words; "Iron gate in stone wall" will bring.
                    I'm sure you have done your homework so it will lead me on a wild goose chase. But that is for tomorrow, if the puzzle last that long. Good night.
                    That didn't throw up anything. Somebody else will have to solve this one.

Comment

This one is doing well, it's got past the first 24 hours without being solved.

I shall give a small clue. The digits 6, 2 and 7 may help narrow this one down for you. hehehe, have fun!

Comment

Ok, I have made a right mess up of that last clue, the digits should have been 6, 1 and 7. Thank you to Mark for pointing that one out. Apologies all round here if i have caused confusion.

But it is only fair to say that Mark had this one nailed before i posted that incorrect clue. over to you Mark, i shall let you spill the beans on this one.

Comment

OK Steve - I'll do as I'm told.

It's Howden Dam in Derbyshire.

The numbers are a reference to 617 Squadron of the RAF - the Dambusters - who practiced at Howden and Ladybower before going to drop their bouncing bombs on the dams of the Ruhr. They were sad times.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think i might be in for a telling off for that little mess up. I am half expecting the clang of a frying pan.

Well done on getting that one Mark, i thought even you might have struggled just a little with that one, well, it did last 24 hours, so i must not feel too disappointed. (This is where he tells us he got it within 1/2 hour but did not want to spoil it for the rest of you).

Back to you Mark!

Comment

OK - I've got one in mind - will post tomorrow.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I find it completely impossible to predict which of these are hard and which are easy - and of course it depends very much on which of us look at these when, and how successful we are with Google searches.

So, continuing the attitude that anything is worth trying, some of us like the easier puzzles, some of us prefer impossible ones, and that no country in the world is out of bounds ... where's my car? (Actually four cars ago, but the view has remained the same).

Solved in 5 .... 4 .... 3 .... 2 ....

Unrelated question - do our photos have to be as they are now, or could we use older ones (i.e. >50 years ago) provided that the clues are in the photo, and a view of the same place today would be recognisably similar? Just wondered people's views on that.
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X