What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I cannot believe how fast these are being solved! That's twice i have taken a quick look at a puzzle and thought, "i will look into this one later", only to find that the puzzle is history by the time i get back to my PC. Mind you, i must thank Ralf for solving that last one, i had a quick look earlier and did not have a clue where to start with that one.

I look forward to what Ralf can conjure up this time around.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

May oh-May, that was another come and gone within a few hours!!!
      It is obviously not possible to get a picture on Google and post it anymore.
      Yes, I knew that the type of mountains would be a dead giveaway to some and say the Andes, but I did not count on travelling brothers.

I picked this picture because my oldest son is trekking in these mountains at the moment. Should have waited until he sent some pictures.

Well Ralf, back to you again. Hope you find something more challenging, since I failed.

Comment

Maybe someone finds the right keywords to find the exact location, i did not while testing, but...

Where is it?

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Tunnel d'Arzwiller, Canal de la Marne au Rhin (or Tunnel near Arzweiler, Rhein - Marne Kanal).

http://www.tripmondo.com/france/lorr...-of-arzviller/
          Last edited by PoloUK; February 24th, 2012, 10:59.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Was this personal knowledge, Mark, or brilliant deduction!? Even though you had already solved it, I've just spent a few quick moments trying various permutations of keywords and, like Ralf himself, got nowhere.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              Was this personal knowledge, Mark, or brilliant deduction!? Even though you had already solved it, I've just spent a few quick moments trying various permutations of keywords and, like Ralf himself, got nowhere.
              Hi Ivy. To be honest I didn't know where it was, although I've had some lovely holidays not far away from it. What I've found for Ralf's puzzles is that the trick is to swap into the German Google site and search in there - even with English terms. That often comes up with something fairly quickly - and I struck lucky this time.

With Ombugge's puzzles, my technique is to get a globe, spin it around hard, wait for it to stop and then choose some where on the line of longitude I'm looking at!!! That's probably why it doesn't work.

We do of course need Ralf to confirm that we have got it right!!
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                What I've found for Ralf's puzzles is that the trick is to swap into the German Google site and search in there - even with English terms. That often comes up with something fairly quickly - and I struck lucky this time.
                It is surprising just how different the search results can be when using this method. I have solved a few puzzles in the past by using the German Google site. I remember a clock tower that Thijs posted sometime ago, nothing on the UK google, but it was in the first page of results on the German site. Further differences can also be found when you search using a different language.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Of course it is confirmed!

It seems almost to be impossible to post a picture of an unusual place.
                  What makes me wonder, that when i crosschecked the Google search, nothing popped up. Maybe Google stores the searches and brings them back, if anyone else is looking for it? That would make the self-test ridiculous, because one is laying out the own trace then...

Well Mark. Your challenge again...

Comment

To set the challenge IS the challenge. Good luck Mark.

Comment

OK - try this one. A failed attempt at a trendy depth of field photo!

The way we're all going at the moment, it's probably good for an hour!!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        Of course it is confirmed!

It seems almost to be impossible to post a picture of an unusual place.
                        What makes me wonder, that when i crosschecked the Google search, nothing popped up. Maybe Google stores the searches and brings them back, if anyone else is looking for it? That would make the self-test ridiculous, because one is laying out the own trace then...
                        I have also wondered about this. I am careful not to give google a trail to follow. If i find an image on the net i want to use, and wish to check to see if the google image search can find it, i always upload that image to my photo bucket account first. Then, i use the url from the photo in my account to do the google search.

Why do i do that? I have a feeling that google logs images and data once it's found them. So if i were to copy the url of a photo from it's source on the net - in order to see if google can find it, the first place google will look for information is the site that hosts the photo. I have a feeling google will then add that photo and it's information to it's massive data base. So google will then have logged where that photo can be found on the net. But, when up-loading to your own account first, google will not know where the photo came from. That is assuming it's not already found it in the past.

I also wonder if google likes to use information from cookies on your computer, so for that reason i use a different browser when doing the google check. I find a suitable photo using firefox, and i use firefox to upload that photo to photobucket, but i then switch to IE to do the google check, just incase google is following leads from my browsing history in firefox.

Ombugge is so right when he says "To set the challenge IS the challenge".

Right, back to Mark's chalk cliffs, let's see if this one lasts the day out.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post

Right, back to Mark's chalk cliffs, let's see if this one lasts the day out.
                          Nope, do not think this one made the day.

A google of 'Rusty iron railings along the seafront +chalk' got the job done!

Third picture down on this link.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/use...%27s_at_Cliffe

St Margaret's at Cliffe in Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            Nope, do not think this one made the day.

A google of 'Rusty iron railings along the seafront +chalk' got the job done!

Third picture down on this link.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/use...%27s_at_Cliffe

St Margaret's at Cliffe in Kent.
                            Hee hee!! It's more fun when they're soluble I reckon!!

Yep - I rather like St Margarets - the beach is secluded and beautiful, and there are plenty of low flying ferries and commercial ships going through the English Channel. If you'd been watching the Silhouettes thread, I'd given the answer away rather more than I meant to there.

Over to you .................
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I used to spend time down that way when i was a child, i like that stretch of coastline between Dover and Dungeness.

Ok, right you lot, let's see if this one will keep you going over the weekend, yeah, i know, fat chance!

Which Place is This?

Photo credit - Wheelz24 under the Creative Commons licence.
                              Last edited by Steve.B; February 26th, 2012, 01:20. Reason: Attributing Photo.

Comment

Hahahaha!! Half an hour not locked in and the next picture is posted and solved!!

And Steve added a complicated explanation of his crosschecking procedure. Well, Buddy, we will see, if this will help you with your next picture!!

Don't hurry, take your time, while uploading and opening several browsers......nah, i see you didn't!!

And isn't that amazing, how "they" stalk our movements in the net??
                                George Orwell, you would never imagine, what is possible today!
                                Last edited by Ralf__; February 24th, 2012, 16:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X