What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Isn't he just a dreadful chap, Steve? Can't do a thing with him.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Oh Gawd - just trying to be helpful. Will keep my mouth well and truly shut now.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the 'young man' bit though Ivy. One shaft of brightness in a rainstorm of discipline.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          Actually it was just the language. The sign could either be Danish or Norwegian, so googled Danish Castles - and it was sixth on the list!!
          Far too easy! I thought there would be much more and this one seemed to me more unknown...

Another try: What place is this?

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I think we are at some sort of museum or touristy exhibition, not an everyday dwelling.
            Could it be Pfahlbau Museum Unteruhldingen???

Comment

This is amazing! This is all far too easy!! Over to you, Ombugge. Well done.

More about this place at the Lake Constance here:
              http://www.pfahlbauten.com/

O.K. it is UNESCO world heritage, but i thought, at least the first try would go to a wrong continent..

Comment

Sigh.........
                Hadn't even seen this new puzzle. Could someone send a telegram when they post one?
                Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  This is amazing! This is all far too easy!! Over to you, Ombugge. Well done.

More about this place at the Lake Constance here:
                  http://www.pfahlbauten.com/

O.K. it is UNESCO world heritage, but i thought, at least the first try would go to a wrong continent..

At first glans I thought South America (not Asia as the building style and roof is not "right" for here).
                  It was also clear that this was not a place of dwelling due to the long grass growing around the "mandi" steps.
                  The poster on one of the houses said that it was some sort of exhibit and the rest of scenery said Europe, so a google search for "stilt house exhibit Europe" quickly brought up "numerous" pictures from this museum. Quick and easy.

I'll be back with something that may be a bit more challenging, when time permits. (All continents on the table)

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    Sigh.........
                    Hadn't even seen this new puzzle. Could someone send a telegram when
                    post one?
                    i agree, i am thinking the same, the boys are too good, no chance for me , although i am picking up a few tips from them on how to search for answers, but by the time i do that they will have solved it.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

No, no, Kiki, rubbish, they're not too good for us. You have only recently come in on this game, I've been in it for well over a year now, and won several. Yes, the chaps have the lead on us when it comes to things like the chopper where technical knowledge can give them a vital clue, and they are all far more well-travelled than I am, but that doesn't stop me. It's all the luck of the draw. You also have to remember that Mark is sitting dozing at his desk with not even a CVF puzzle to do at the moment, so if Ombugge posts one he'll leap on it with glee.
                      Ivy

Comment

OK, here is my attempt at challenging:

I don't know if it pops up on Google at first attempt, but let's see.

Where is this beautiful mountain lake located??

PS> I got a bit ahead of myself there. Here is the correct picture. Sorry if anybody went chasing around looking for anchors in the meantime.
                        Last edited by ombugge; February 23rd, 2012, 16:05. Reason: Add correct pics.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                          You also have to remember that Mark is sitting dozing at his desk with not even a CVF puzzle to do at the moment, so if Ombugge posts one he'll leap on it with glee.
                          Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Reviewing lots of documents related to a bid for a major project for a European Railway at the moment - barely enough time to watch Finnmarken work her way southbound, let alone solve Ombugge's next (impossible) puzzle.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Maybe it was helping that my brother made a travel to South America last year and showed me the pictures. There are special light conditions in Peru and Chile which make it easy to decide if a picture is made there. The Alps look different!

So i searched for the lakes in Chile and Peru. Soon i found similarities in the Alpamayo Area. See picture 1 and 6.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=947698&page=4

But Google Earth showed various possibilities. Lots of lakes there.

A search in some trekking pages showed me this picture (bottom of page):
                            http://www.peruvianandes.com/joomla/...d=91&Itemid=53

And a little bit later i found the original picture at the same site:
                            http://www.peruvianandes.com/joomla/index.php?lang=ge

So it is Cullicocha Lake below the Alpamayo, Cordillera Blanca, Peru.
                            Last edited by Ralf__; February 23rd, 2012, 17:56.

Comment

Oh dear, I've been slaving away doing the first real gardening of the year all afternoon, come in and find another one been and gone in a couple of hours. Can we have something difficult???
                              All the same, very well done Ralf. I wouldn't have known where to start with that one, so many possibilities.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 23rd, 2012, 18:46.
                              Ivy

Comment

Tried two pictures, made by myself, years ago, unusual perpective, not too famous place, but:

Google picture search nailed both with the first hit!!

Must think about it until tomorrow!!

Comment

Working...
                                X