Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    It means "Fährschiff". It is the carferry "Wischhafen", operating on the Elbe between Glückstadt and Wischhafen:

http://www.europa-kutsche.de/data/in...ture/20681.jpg

Please confirm.
    HEEEE don't spoil this for us,firts a few guesses and then the solution.

so it is fahrschiff then
    best regards Thijs

Comment

A lot of puzzlers at the same time... so it was a race again. Did i win this time?
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ah, i should have been thinking in German for that one. Well done Ralf!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

h
          Ha-ha, this time I had discovered the NVO link with Scandinavia, like Ombugge, but still was getting nowhere.
          Well done to Mark and Ralf for the last two puzzles.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I have to admit that I was thinking that the length of time to solve would be directly related to what Ralf was doing this afternoon!!

Well done - I think you were all going the right way and would have got there quickly anyway.

Yep - last year, on our back from Honningsvåg. The Elbe ferries can be terribly busy, but even with an hour's wait it avoids all of Hamburg. Next stop northbound is usually Kiel, then Stena to Göteborg, next stop southbound usually somewhere in the Netherlands - home the next day.

I think that the ferries are like little 'tea trays' - scuttling across the Elbe in between the very big ships, but they're comfortable and fun, and the crews are very nice people. Just a very slight sense of being a hedgehog crossing the motorway when the big container ships are going into the port though!!

Here's another view, on our autumn trip to a Trade Show in Sweden:

Well done Ralf - you seem to usually work out the puzzles I set!! Look forward to seeing what you've got for us this time.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

cant keep up with the puzzles, only good if i have been there or a very, very very good guess

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                cant keep up with the puzzles, only good if i have been there or a very, very very good guess
                Keep trying Kiki!! The more of us that are having a go, the more likely we are to know where it is!

You got the Helsinki one really quickly.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Did we have a helicopter search before?? I think, no. Well let's see, how tricky that is.

Where is it?
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Oh heck, now I have to learn about whirly-birds!
                    Ivy

Comment

Think it could be an Mi-8 - not sure that helps us much though!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Learner pilot here:
                        Are they jet intakes up front?
                        Ivy

Comment

Yes, those holes are air intakes to a jet engine, and later two..., depending on the type of MIL Mi-8.
                          Other operators than Russia were (are) Finland and Yugoslavia (and then her new states)...., so initially, we have a large circle of where it can be.
                          Right now I can't say I recognize that camo paint, so I can't place it in any former Yugoslavioan republic nor Finland, but given those areas, maybe it's time to fire up the good old Google Earth. (A tips: Google the air forces and try to sort out where they had their helicopter squadrons stationed).
                          I'm currently at work, so I have no time to go deep into this...., interesting as it may be, now that there are a flying machine involved...
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I don't know where this is, but one thing for sure; this one hasn't been in the air lately and probably never will again.

I'll go with one of the Baltic states as a likely location.

PS> I have flown in MI8s in India and Burma, but that is not the location here.
                            Last edited by ombugge; February 20th, 2012, 18:15.

Comment

Of course there's always East Germany - looking at some nice pictures from Berlin Gatow - their Helicopters look rather smarter than this one - but maybe this one has had a facelift since the photo was taken - or not!!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...-Gatow_383.JPG
                              Last edited by PoloUK; February 20th, 2012, 20:13.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Mödlareuth, Germany? The Border Museum?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7746098

If that's not right, I invite my colleagues to join me at www.helicopter-database.de and work their way through 1,700 possibles!!
                                Last edited by PoloUK; February 20th, 2012, 20:41.
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X