What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

All good stuff. I've been looking at the dams in New South Wales - many of which look something like this - but I can't find one that looks exactly like this!! I've had a very pleasant 10 minutes around the Nepean Dams in NSW (on Google Earth!).

I could be cheeky and ask whether we were in the right hand half of Oz or the left hand half - but Steve will probably classify that as being cheeky, and Ombugge's probably found it by now anyway!!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

List of dams in Australia for the consummated puzzle solver:
      http://www.damlevel.com.au/list_of_dams.shtml
      If you start from the top and work downward SOMETHING must show up.
      Still busy with the accounts.

Comment

I can confirm this dam is indeed amongst that long list Ombugge found. When i posted this puzzle i had no idea there were so many in Australia, what a stroke of luck to find out i was wrong!

Mark, i don't think i am minded to narrow it down too much, not at this stage. I am happy to let you all explore for a while longer yet. But, i will help you a little, you can cross Canberra and Melbourne off your lists.

Now, let it not be said that i have not helped!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I can also add that when this dam was built, it came in under budget, and was completed ahead of schedule. Should give you another line of investigation to pursue.

But mind you do not go chasing red herrings with that bit of info.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            I can also add that when this dam was built, it came in under budget, and was completed ahead of schedule. Should give you another line of investigation to pursue.

But mind you do not go chasing red herrings with that bit of info.
            Hmmm - it would appear that all Australian dams are completed under budget and ahead of schedule!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Canning Dam, Perth perhaps?
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Canning Dam, Perth perhaps?
                You have got it. Canning Dam it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Dam

Well that did not take you too long, considering the amount of Dams you had to choose from. I hope my clues did not make it too easy.

I have had that puzzle tucked away on the back burner for a few months now, it was something i spotted whilst looking around that area for one of Ivy's puzzles in the past.

So well done Mark, back over to you, do you have something lined up for us?

Comment

Lucky bit of Googling Steve! I switched to the Australian Google, then searched for images of dams and it popped up quite quickly!!

This one may be too easy - especially with a forum that likes things that float, and a number of truck and ex-truck drivers around - but it's fun to have an easier one sometimes too.

Where in the world (OK, where in Europe!) is this?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

a english car with a german enviremont sticker with a dutch truck,3 nations,but don't think we're on a dutch ferry
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Trying to work out what the 'FS' prefix is for? Looked through the wiki, all i can find is that the French Navy can use the 'FS' prefix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix

So i am guessing the 'FS' must just be part of the ferries name.

Comment

i'm thinking german ''Fahre Shif'' but germans ''ferry'' is ''fahre'',so where stands the S for.

i was trying FS wiso.... fs wisc.... nothing on google

i can't remember a dutch ferry with such a bridge,but then again, i don't know al dutch ferries
                        Last edited by janihudi; February 18th, 2012, 17:57.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Yes, Steve, I followed that line, seemed to be tied up with German student/uni. organisations.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; February 18th, 2012, 18:09.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                            a english car with a german enviremont sticker with a dutch truck,3 nations,but don't think we're on a dutch ferry
                            NVO Transport, Groeningen specializes in transport to/from Scandinavia, so we may be on a ferry somewhere in Denmark or Germany.
                            Across the Kiel Kanal maybe??

That English car may be on the way to Honningsvaag for all I know??

Comment

It means "Fährschiff". It is the carferry "Wischhafen", operating on the Elbe between Glückstadt and Wischhafen:

http://www.europa-kutsche.de/data/in...ture/20681.jpg

Please confirm.
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

That English car may be on the way to Honningsvaag for all I know??
                                i also think that's mark's car
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X