Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    I remembered, where i had seen the site: I was in the "E is out navigating" thread: FlightAware.com

http://de.flightaware.com/live/fligh...100Z/RJFF/WSSS

http://de.flightaware.com/live/fligh.../WSSS/tracklog

But the graph is showing "my" route, while the tracklog puts you near Brunei at the asked time...

So not very exact. What a pity...
    Can you imagine the look on Ombugge's face if you had got that spot on? Now that would have been something! If he was wearing a hat he would have eaten it.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      Be fair to me Ivy!
      Why? ......
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Why? ......
        Note to self: Find emoticon of hitting own head with large Frying Pan.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          So, a picture of nothing but clouds and Ralf gets the location down to about 500km. I think that is rather good!
          A couple of hours of 250 km/hr. headwind would count for the 500 km.

Total flight time going south that day was 06 hrs. 17 min., while the north bound flight is only 5 hrs. 35 min.

It is indeed incredible that Ralf even took the time to look at that one, much less getting close. I did not expect it.
          Last edited by ombugge; February 16th, 2012, 12:04.

Comment

So without that headwind we can say that our Ralf really won the day with that one. As I said before, he left me gasping with his calculations.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I hope Sterkoder does not mind, but to keep us going i will nip in with this one.

Which Place is This?
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Just wanted to say hello Steve!! I'm thinking - was hoping someone else would come up with something to work with first!!

Doesn't look very European - perhaps America or Australia?

(Or as they say around here Americkle or Australial!)
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Are we nearer to home in the UK ?

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

No, sorry Kiki, Mark is correct when he's says it does not look very European, so not near home this time around.

Comment

I hope Sterkoder does not mind, but to keep us going i will nip in with this one.
                      Please, go on! I don't mind at all...., as I like so much more to guess than to come up with a quiz....
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Was Marks Australia or America a yes or no ?

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          Please, go on! I don't mind at all...., as I like so much more to guess than to come up with a quiz....
                          Thank you Sir, i am glad you did not mind.

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                          Was Marks Australia or America a yes or no ?
                          Darn, i was hoping i had got away without answering that one! But, seeing that you worded it like you did..............the answer to one of those was a 'no', and the other was a 'yes', cannot possibly tell you which applies to which though!

But, even with that answer to your question, i have still ruled out 2/3 of the planet. So things should be a bit easier for you all now.

Comment

Let's see what we know about this one;
                            It is either in Australia or America (America as the continent, not the US I think??)
                            We have a dam that is not very tall or very long, so it is no use to look at world record dams.
                            The type of dam appears to be arch-gravity due to the slop on the "down-river side. Probably Hydro-Electric.
                            The vegetation looks tropical, but not at very high altitude. (Or sub-tropical?)
                            The house that can be seen is typical tropical style and probably British colonial inspired.

That leads to Australia, But I have not been able to pinpoint which dam this may be.

Than again, i could be entirely wrong. What say you Steve??

PS> The dam does not look very old.
                            Last edited by ombugge; February 18th, 2012, 05:21. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

That leads to Australia, But I have not been able to pinpoint which dam this may be.

Than again, i could be entirely wrong. What say you Steve??
                              I say i am thankful that Australia is rather large! They must have a few dams for you to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                                I say i am thankful that Australia is rather large! They must have a few dams for you to choose from.
                                Australia was once a pioneer in building arch dams, so there are quite a few to choose from.
                                The lush vegetation take out a lot of Australia from contention though.

Unfortunately I have to do the accounts from last year now, so somebody else may solve this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X