What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Yuk!!!!!!!!! I don't know about the others, but I excluded Norway from my thinking for this thread, purely because we have a 'Where in Norway' thread!!

Ombugge has confused us again! Learnt that lesson.

Well done Svein!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Kløfta...., just north of Oslo
      Klofta it is. Either coming in to land, or taking off from Gardermoen during my visit to Norway in Nov. 2010.

I'm sure a lot of the active puzzlers would like to know if you just dropped in and went; Ahh, that is Klofta!!!
      If not, how did you reason to solve this??

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Yuk!!!!!!!!! I don't know about the others, but I excluded Norway from my thinking for this thread, purely because we have a 'Where in Norway' thread!!

Ombugge has confused us again! Learnt that lesson.

Well done Svein!
        I'm very sorry if I confused everybody by picking a picture from Norway, but I never said that any part of the world was off the table.

At least I did not post another puzzle from S.E.Asia.

Comment

No - it was clever! Your command of psychology continues to impress Ombugge!!

Just to confirm - Steve and I were looking at the railway and getting confused - yes, it is electrified. Four track in the station, three line either side, on the mainline 'Hovedbanen' and airport railway 'Gardermobanen' (although I wouldn't try to catch an Aiport train there, they don't stop! Local trains take 8 minutes from the airport). The overhead line kit merges into the background beautifully.
          Last edited by PoloUK; February 9th, 2012, 11:47.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

If not, how did you reason to solve this??
            I haven't visited this thread often, and before work this morning I just surfed into it to take a look. As an ex. truckdriver for Linjegods (today Schenker) driving up and down E6 between Oslo and Oppdal three times a week for three months, it was the E6 main road which gave me an immediate clue. Then it was Ullersmo prison and the roundabouts.
            Last edited by Sterkoder; February 9th, 2012, 12:06.
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Is that the prison on the left hand side?

We nearly got that bit anyway: Post #2077
              Left hand side may be a clue. Square enclosure - that otherwise looks like a racecourse. Horses don't do 90 degree bends though, so would love to work that one out. Could that be a prison or something like that?
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh, very well done, Svein. This one certainly got us all confused and in a way I'm glad it is solved because I just didn't know where to go next! Last seen roaming hopelessly round the Baltic States.
                Now we await your brain-teaser.
                Last edited by wherrygirl; February 9th, 2012, 12:32.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Congratulations Svein, and thank you! You have saved my eye's some serious strain trying to find this one.

So the large square shaped compound is a prison, obvious now. That was the main thing i was keeping my eye's open for whilst carefully tracing all the railway lines out of possible towns and cities. And believe me, i followed a lot of them.

So it was Norway, darn, a few times during my search the idea of looking around places like Oslo popped into my head, but i kept getting too carried away with the idea it was somewhere around the Denmark/Holland area. And when i finally gave up on those i rapidly moved onto Sweden. The idea of looking around Oslo kept getting brushed aside.

Well Mr Ombugge, you certainly got us all running around with that one, a good puzzle. Let's see if Svein can find something to follow that one. It's been a long, long time since he dropped in here.
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

For you most active members in here, don't sit up and wait for my puzzle. I'm at work now, and come evening, I'm attending a meeting at the Norwegian Shipping Historical Society.
                    Belive it will not be today I give you a new quiz
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; February 9th, 2012, 17:05.
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I hope I speak for the others, Svein, but I'm sure that no-one will mind waiting. We are all busy at some time or another and have to wait for the "poster". It will be nice to have one from you if you can.
                      Ivy

Comment

So you were puzzling the last one all the time i was travelling. It was obvious that this was only solvable for someone, who knows the place and has been there. I am with you, Ivy, i did not have a single idea to puzzle the different clues and "landmarks" together to get a result. The discussion of right or lefthand drive was a genious path leading in dense fog!

Mr. Sterkoder, take your time. It is big fun to wait for a "strangers" puzzle.

The hard core puzzlers are tending to develop some strange habits. Since we don't use any free pictures from the net (because we can find them via google picture similarities), each personal step is stalked to get a solution via the pictures date. The real perfect puzzles hide their solution IN the picture. So i would like to reqest a higher puzzle picture resolution, that we can see closer what we see...
                        Last edited by Ralf__; February 9th, 2012, 18:35.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post

The hard core puzzlers are tending to develop some strange habits. Since we don't use any free pictures from the net (because we can find them via google picture similarities), each personal step is stalked to get a solution via the pictures date. The real perfect puzzles hide their solution IN the picture. So i would like to reqest a higher puzzle picture resolution, that we can see closer what we see...
                          Are you accusing me of stalking Mr Ralf? But it is true, i have been known to make use of the picture information from time to time. I think that it's within the rules of fair play. But the puzzle poster can always remove the information. Some times the info contained can be helpful, other times not so much. But do be careful if you use smart phone images and your smart phone uses anysort of GPS app, i have found the odd picture on the net that even contained the lat and long co-ordinates contained within the picture info! You have all been warned.

About the only tool i will not use anymore is that darn advanced google image search, that thing just takes any enjoyment out of solving the puzzle. Plus i hate it! Because of that thing, finding a puzzle to post is now harder to do than solving most of the puzzles themselves.

Yes, i agree, hi-res would be nice all the time, but that is just not possible on each occasion. Sometimes it's hard enough finding a puzzle picture in the first place, let alone having to find one in HD each time. (But wherever possible would be nice)

No rush Mr Sterkoder, do not feel pressured to find one quickly, we can all wait, no problem at all.
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

It's certainly harder to find a puzzle picture now, but I agree with Steve on refusing to use the Google advanced search, where it throws up similar images. If you know the area there is Google Earth, but I'm afraid that I just forage through the ordinary image sites for the keywords I put in Google's Search. That's always assuming I can think up some original keywords - what a hope.
                            However, there are plenty of pictures on Wiki which are usable without problem so long as they are acknowledged, and those of us who use them add the photographer's name as soon as the puzzle is solved, so fulfilling the condition for their use.
                            I have little left of my own photos that would not be easily solved - I have thought of one or two west country ones which might keep Ombugge quiet for a few moments, but there is a certain someone sitting down there in north Devon who would be on to them in a flash! So looking longingly at the standing stone row on Dartmoor I reluctantly put it back in the box.
                            Ivy

Comment

I'm easily pleased - I enjoy all of the puzzles - and I find some of the simpler ones fun too!!

I'm with Ralf though - finding the clues in the puzzle is often the best fun - although interrogating Ombugge has its moments of enjoyment too!!

I just look forward to solving these as the little group of disparate and well travelled souls that we are!!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I am with you Steve, it is a way to solve a puzzle, while using the pictures information. I do not condemn that. Even google picture search does not find all similarities, if a picture is very colorful and has chaotic patterns, google is giving very - eehm - creative proposals. But yes, finding a puzzle is very hard by checking all this possibilities, and now Steve even is able to use GPS coordinates... It has become a very technical task now. We all should think about it while putting in or solving a puzzle. I don't think it is necessary to set up rules, but in my opinion the wonderful aspect of this thread is to learn something new about foreign places with an outstanding certain historical or natural detail. And you only learn about that while searching via keywords.
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X