What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Mark, checking back, i do not think Ombugge's ruled out Germany yet, but he did rule out Spain early on.

I think that we should be looking at air routes from Singapore to Norway, where in Northern Europe would you change flights? I think maybe this photo was taken near to that airport. Why do i think this? A little birdy tell's me this photo was probably taken mid to late September last year. And that same little birdy told me Ombugge was in Norway at about that time. (Mind you, the little birdy might be telling me a load of rubbish, if so he will have to be dispatched)

I have also paid attention to that railway, i have strained my eyes trying to spot some overhead wires and associated gantries etc, if they are there they are not obvious. But because the photo is not the clearest i have not ruled out the possibility it is electrified. Looks like a main line rather than a branch line, looks like it's got two local lines and two main lines for trains not stopping at that station. So i might fire up Google Earth and check out airports that meet the criteria i mentioned above, a search of the surrounding areas might reveal a similar configured railway.
    Last edited by Steve.B; February 8th, 2012, 17:12.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Hi Steve!

Post #2088 - Ombugge told us not Germany, Poland or Czech Republic.

Air routes Singapore to Norway would normally see you changing in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich (I think), Paris or Heathrow - although there are dozens of combinations!!

We did have some fantastic photos of Oslo from 40,000 feet from Ombugge when he came home at Christmas - which led me to think that he was flying on the northerly route from Singapore - but that may be a red herring - especially if we're looking at his September trip rather than December trip. Are we convinced that the fields look September-y rather than Winter-y?

So, if we are on Western Europe to Singapore on the southerly route (when I was doing this often, we usually went on a more northerly route) - we're looking at eastern Europe - as per Kiki's suggestions. I'm getting caught up in roundabout recognition. I suppose that also flights from Europe to Norway would have overflown Denmark, but there seem to be a few little hills on the photo don't there?

I think that Captain Bugge must be highly entertained with how long it's taking us to sort this one out!! I think that the next one will have to be Ivy's grain of sand!!
      Last edited by PoloUK; February 8th, 2012, 17:16.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Hi Steve!

Post #2088 - Ombugge told us not Germany, Poland or Czech Republic.
        Darn, i missed that one when i looked back last night. If i had spotted it i could have saved myself sometime last night searching Germany!(dunno) Bugger!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

yes SteveB . i was thinking of him travelling to Norway, thats why i was thinking of Amsterdam, or somewhere between there and Norway, My mind has been all over the place, since thoughts of Romania and Budapest i have now moved to Scotland as the area looks the same when i was flying into Glasgow !!!!! please , we need more clues Ombugge !!!!!!!!

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
            yes SteveB . i was thinking of him travelling to Norway, thats why i was thinking of Amsterdam, or somewhere between there and Norway, My mind has been all over the place, since thoughts of Romania and Budapest i have now moved to Scotland as the area looks the same when i was flying into Glasgow !!!!! please , we need more clues Ombugge !!!!!!!!
            Stay on the right hand side of the Channel Kiki - when Ivy threatened Ombugge with violence, he admitted that they were driving on the right (I think - it was a long time ago).

Help Ombugge - you're causing distress to your British friends - and Ralf hasn't come to rescue us yet!!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Now i am not someone that's done a lot of flying, and what flying i have done was always at night. Because of that i am struggling to get some idea of the height at which this photo was taken. So to all of you seasoned flyers, does this look like it was taken shortly before or after landing or take off? Or could it have been taken at any point on a connecting flight between Northern Europe destinations? To me it looks like the plane is rather low, hence my assumption it was near to take off or landing. What do you all think?

P.S Regarding my earlier assumption that the railway was a four line set up, looking again i am not sure, possibly only two lines.

Comment

Well i think the plane is quite high up, and on route to destination.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

For no particular reason I'm thinking of Finland. Ombugge did say it was in Europe, excluding the UK.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    For no particular reason I'm thinking of Finland. Ombugge did say it was in Europe, excluding the UK.
                    Funny enough I was wondering about a bit further north too - is Denmark as another alternative? If Ombugge was flying into or out of Copenhagen? That could open up southern Sweden too! Not sure about the white bits around the centres of the roundabouts.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Finland did cross my mind, but as Marks last puzzle was Finland i dismissed it. Sorry ,Scotland is out as i forgot he said not the UK .. The houses are all dark colour so can that not give a clue to country

Comment

Any minute now BT will be cutting me off - they say for about 10 mins. They're doing some upgrading at the exchange. They hope to finish by 6p.m., so I hope it won't happen just yet!

Referring to Steve's question about taking off or landing, well, I'm anything but a frequent flyer but I get the impression that it is fairly low and banking to the right on its way down. I tell you what puzzle me - if you look top right just below that puff of cloud there seems to be a lake of some kind. But what is it that stretches out from it towards the bottom left? A long wide stretch of ??????? A bridge traverses it. So is it also water? I tried to make a dam at the lake and a weir further down, but none of that makes sense because the long patch of whatever-it-is ends abruptly.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; February 8th, 2012, 18:38.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                          my next thought is Romania and Budapest area. The land is so flat there and mostly fields of corn, if not I give up or need more clues !!!!
                          Not Romania either. You next clue is that you and others have been closer earlier.

PS> It may not be as flat as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            Now i am not someone that's done a lot of flying, and what flying i have done was always at night. Because of that i am struggling to get some idea of the height at which this photo was taken. So to all of you seasoned flyers, does this look like it was taken shortly before or after landing or take off? Or could it have been taken at any point on a connecting flight between Northern Europe destinations? To me it looks like the plane is rather low, hence my assumption it was near to take off or landing. What do you all think?

P.S Regarding my earlier assumption that the railway was a four line set up, looking again i am not sure, possibly only two lines.
                            With my small camera at cruising height the picture would look far less detailed.
                            So you are right Steve, it is at a low altitude at either landing or take-off. (I can't remember which, but therein lays another clue)

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                              Not Finland either. One more down. You all are circling this in nicely.
                              Last edited by ombugge; February 9th, 2012, 01:44.

Comment

Kløfta...., just north of Oslo
                                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X