Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Well, had a few more minutes looking.

I'm thinking Czech Republic, Poland or Germany. They drive on the right, and you sometimes fly over them on the way from Europe to Singapore (if not taking the northerly routes). The German roundabouts tend (I seem to remember) to have nice white lines or blocks around them - like the ones you can see in the picture.
    Last edited by PoloUK; February 6th, 2012, 21:50.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Is there a clue with the colour of the fields, not very green. are they orange/red because of the heat , what crops did they grow ? I did fly over land similar in colour but cant think where it was.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Well, had a few more minutes looking.

I'm thinking Czech Republic, Poland or Germany. They drive on the right, and you sometimes fly over them on the way from Europe to Singapore (if not taking the northerly routes). The German roundabouts tend (I seem to remember) to have nice white lines or blocks around them - like the ones you can see in the picture.
        You are eating away on Europe I see. No, it is none of those.

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
          Is there a clue with the colour of the fields, not very green. are they orange/red because of the heat, what crops did they grow ? I did fly over land similar in colour but cant think where it was.
          There may be some clues in the colour of fields, but more to the time of year than actual place.
          The type and shape of fields and relations to buildings may be a better clue.

PS> As you all can see I'm back on line for the moment, but that may be infrequent.

Comment

Re Kiki's question, I note that there are some sheep in one of the little fields bottom left - that limits the geographic spread a little I think.

Are we even in the right continent? Is this Europe?
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Wherever it is, I think it is probably post corn-harvest, which could account for the tawny colour of some fields (stubble) while others are brown indicating bare soil either ready or already sown for the next crop. The green areas could be recreational or fallow farmland. Top left could be open country as it seems to be criss-crossed by rough paths.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Re Kiki's question, I note that there are some sheep in one of the little fields bottom left - that limits the geographic spread a little I think.

Are we even in the right continent? Is this Europe?
                It is indeed on the European continent. (UK excl.)

Comment

Hmm - I wonder. Sheep. Small fields. Non-electrified railway line (I think). Silos in town. Roundabouts.

France?
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Are we in Northern Europe ? i am thinking somewhere like Amsterdam, could be fields for growing the Tulips ? I am really trying. lol

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                      Are we in Northern Europe ? i am thinking somewhere like Amsterdam, could be fields for growing the Tulips ? I am really trying. lol
                      Not near Amsterdam and unlikely to be growing Tulips on an industrial scale here.
                      (One more down Mark)

Comment

Hmm - I wonder. Sheep. Small fields. Non-electrified railway line (I think). Silos in town. Roundabouts.
                        France?
                        No, not France either. (You are eliminating European countries one by one are you Mark?)

As for the railway, I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if not electrified.
                        Last edited by ombugge; February 8th, 2012, 11:05.

Comment

I have to admit that I'm thinking about where we know you've been lately. That may be a complete waste of time, because it may not be a recent photograph!

If however that wasn't a daft idea, I was thinking about air routes from Norway to Spain.

Norway - nah.
                          Denmark - nah.
                          Germany - you told us that it wasn't. (I was taking the southerly route to Singapore too, hence Germany, Poland, Czech Republic)
                          Holland - don't think so - not enough water, too many little hills

Belgium - could be - especially the right hand side of it

France - you said not
                          Then we'll have arrived in Spain

So Belgium?
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Not Belgium either. How many to go?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              Not Belgium either. How many to go?
                              Someone else's turn to grill Ombugge!!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

my next thought is Romania and Budapest area. The land is so flat there and mostly fields of corn, if not I give up or need more clues !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X