• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    somewhere where they drive on the correct side of the road,
    there is one word missing Mark.
    you ment ofcourse INcorrect side of the road.
    or where you aming for the laugh of the day?
    jolly good one

when you will be back for more laughs
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
      there is one word missing Mark.
      you ment ofcourse INcorrect side of the road.
      or where you aming for the laugh of the day?
      jolly good one

when you will be back for more laughs
      Woman calls husband on his mobile phone: "Darling - are you on the motorway now?"

Husband: "Yes, why?"

Wife: "Well do be careful. I've just been listening to the radio, and they say that there's an idiot driving down the motorway the wrong way!!"

Husband: "One? No, they're all doing it!!"

I'll get my coat.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        OK, so one more direct question, then I'm off air for a while ...

Are they indeed driving on the left hand side of the road?
        That is the first question in the puzzle and a major clue.
        What is the opinion of others. Looking at that major junction, left or right hand drive???

I'm off air for a while as well.
        (Out for dinner. No coat required)

Comment

Woman calls husband on his mobile phone: "Darling - are you on the motorway now?"

Husband: "Yes, why?"

Wife: "Well do be careful. I've just been listening to the radio, and they say that there's an idiot driving down the motorway the wrong way!!"

Husband: "One? No, they're all doing it!!"
          Last edited by wherrygirl; February 5th, 2012, 14:01.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            That is the first question in the puzzle and a major clue.
            What is the opinion of others. Looking at that major junction, left or right hand drive???
            Umm-mm-mm, refusing to answer a direct question, eh???? Come on boys, lynching party at the ready.
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              Umm-mm-mm, refusing to answer a direct question, eh???? Come on boys, lynching party at the ready.
              Ohh come off it. Frying pan treatment maybe, but lynching is a bit over the top. Besides, how would you know if you has the right answer then??

If I reviled that so early it would take abt. 1/4 or 3/4 of the world out. More clues to follow as and when required.

I'm also curios to see how CVF members determine the direction of traffic flow in a junction like this. As far as I remember the Swedes decided that they had to make up their mind about which side of the road to drive BEFORE building major junction like this, just because it would be difficult to change after.
              There must thus be a logical explanation somewhere, otherwise the Swedes would never have made up their mind to join the rest of Europe, (excl. UK) on the right side of the road. (Ahh, the intricacy of the English language; what the hell does he mean, right side or the right side??)

Comment

Well, how would Ombugge solve this? He'd probably make a list of things that he can see ...

Dual carriageway road. Roundabouts. Grain - or something - silos. Railway with a station. Interestingly the roads seem to go under the station - whereas in the UK we usually end up with completely inconvenient level crossings.

Industrial Estates on the right hand side. Lots of yellow lorries in a depot also at bottom right - DHL or someone like that - they can only have a few hundred depots worldwide.

Left hand side may be a clue. Square enclosure - that otherwise looks like a racecourse. Horses don't do 90 degree bends though, so would love to work that one out. Could that be a prison or something like that?

Finally Ombugge would dig out information about the Puzzle-setter - he went as far as looking up the Company I work for for one of mine - so where's Ombugge been lately? It may be an older photo, but it may also be somewhere on his recent trip home - can't work out if the trees are deciduous and in leaf, or all coniferous. That could bring in the low countries.

I reckon we need two things to start - a continent and a decision as to which side of the road they're driving on!!

I'm going for Europe and right hand drive, but I doubt Ombugge will answer either of those.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Besides, how would you know if you has the right answer then??
                  Mark asked:
                  Are they indeed driving on the left hand side of the road?
                  Seems straightforward to me. Mark said left side. Whether you say yes or no, Ombugge, then the correct way forward would be a bit clearer.
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; February 5th, 2012, 17:29.
                  Ivy

Comment

I've "driven" all round that intersection going from and to each direction, both left hand and right hand drive and it all seems quite possible. I thought that may be a service station in the small area below the road and about a third of the way in from the left, with possibly another one on the other side of the road. One or the other seemed reachable for left and right hand drive.
                    That rectangular area could be a sports complex of some kind, there's a swimming pool there. Where are your silos, Mark?
                    Ivy

Comment

Ivy - From the bottom, over the two roundabouts, then over the dual carriageway - first right. Looks like four or five interconnected tall buildings - which immediately made me think silos.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yep, I'm with you. Thanks.
                        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                          Mark asked:
                          Seems straightforward to me. Mark said left side. Whether you say yes or no, Ombugge, then the correct way forward would be a bit clearer.
                          OK, OK. I better answer that question before the lynching party and the marines get sent out. They drive on the RIGHT hand side of the road in this country, at least most of the time. (I was hoping that our truck driving fraternity would weigh in here with their opinion)

That took out Japan, Thailand and the "British Empire" with one easy stroke.

PS> With Scotland, Wales, Wess8x and the Republic of Northhumbria breaking away, Northern Ireland returning to the Republic, York, Isle of Man and Shetlands back to Norway, that only leave greater London, Channel Islands, Gibraltar and the Falklands left to govern for the boys at Westminster.

Comment

Hey, hey, hey, doesn't East Anglia exist on your map, Ombugge? I'd better send you a map of England with a huge arrow pointing to it! And I side with Wesse.x anyway, although born and bred a Londoner the majority of my genes hail from down west. But E. Anglia always was a land of its own - they "du different" here.
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; February 6th, 2012, 23:42.
                            Ivy

Comment

Painted with a wide brush for effect. "Greater London" meant to cover what is left of England after the various parts mentioned declare independence.
                              (We don't want to end up with "John and Jane Republic", do we)

But back on subject!!
                              I am soon incommunicado again, at least for a few hours. I will be heading to Nagasaki, Japan tonight for another load-out.
                              Hope to have internet access when there, but no guarantees as I may be outside coverage most of the time.

Good luck with solving this puzzle. I'll be looking in whenever possible.

Comment

LOVED the effect ombugge!….it was definitely my giggle of the day!
                                Safe travels.

Comment

Working...
                                X