Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    The third tree from the left looks familiar. Are we somewhere in the UK???
    Darn, i knew that the third tree from the left might be too much of a give away!

But seriously, nope, not the UK with this one.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Not a drystone wall expert (despite having lived in the Cotswolds all my life) - but think there may be a clue in the fact that the capping stones are laid horizontally rather than vertically.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Not a drystone wall expert (despite having lived in the Cotswolds all my life) - but think there may be a clue in the fact that the capping stones are laid horizontally rather than vertically.
        I know even less about drystone walls than Mark and nothing about how to lay the capstones.
        What I know is that Steve is so crafty these days that it is no use to assume UK when he post a puzzle.

I therefore think this may be far away from Cornwall, or Isle of Wight.
        My guess is on the other side of the world; Otago, New Zealand???
        Last edited by ombugge; January 31st, 2012, 12:42.

Comment

This is a thrilling puzzle i must say. I am however thinking about the funny line of the wall, like struggling neigbours found no other way to divide their properties, therefore the wall had to go round these oaks. It looks quite European to me, maybe also North America. More interesting to me is to find the reason for that narrow curved wall, than to narrow it down geographically...

But each one should try his own way.
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

If you were thinking along the lines of this type of wall capping being particular to a certain area, then i do not think that will help you with this one.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            I know even less about drystone walls than Mark and nothing about how to lay the capstones.
            What I know is that Steve is so crafty these days that it is no use to assume UK when he post a puzzle.

I therefore think this may be far away from Cornwall, or Isle of Wight.
            My guess is on the other side of the world; Otago, New Zealand???
            No, we not in New Zealand. But i can tell you that there is a strong British connection with this one.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            This is a thrilling puzzle i must say. I am however thinking about the funny line of the wall, like struggling neigbours found no other way to divide their properties, therefore the wall had to go round these oaks. It looks quite European to me, maybe also North America. More interesting to me is to find the reason for that narrow curved wall, than to narrow it down geographically...

But each one should try his own way.
            Now you could be onto something Ralf, why on earth would someone build the wall around the tree's? Does not seem to make practical sense. Working out that part of the puzzle will help you solve this one.
            Last edited by Steve.B; January 31st, 2012, 13:46.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Now, Andy Goldsworthy is a British Sculptor working in dry stone.

Does a lot of work in America.

His Storm King Wall looks a lot like this.

http://billbarr.files.wordpress.com/...6/img_1213.jpg

I believe that that's in Mountainville, New York.

Not sure if that's the right one though - can't convince myself.
              Last edited by PoloUK; January 31st, 2012, 14:03.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Wow, that was quick! It would have taken me a while to get a connection to an artist.
                I bet you're right. I found two videos. I think you can find the place at about 2.10 minutes in the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txSC...eature=related

The second one gives a better overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLaY...eature=related

But let's wait for Steve's confirmation.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Now, Andy Goldsworthy is a British Sculptor working in dry stone.

Does a lot of work in America.

His Storm King Wall looks a lot like this.

http://billbarr.files.wordpress.com/...6/img_1213.jpg

I believe that that's in Mountainville, New York.

Not sure if that's the right one though - can't convince myself.
                  You have got it mark, spot on with that guess, Andy Goldsmiths wall at the Storm King Art Center in Mountainville, New York.

http://www.explore-hudson-valley.com...rt-center.html

Very well done in getting that one so quickly, i thought that it might have lasted a bit longer - no chance! I thought Ralf would be the first to the post with this one, i think he guessed there was more to this wall than just a boundary between properties.

So, it's back to you once again Mark, lets see what you can find for us.

Comment

Darn, I threw in the first that came to mind, before going out for dinner, expecting this one to last a while.
                    I got home and found it had been solved by Mark.

I was wondering why anybody in their right mind would make a crocked "fence" like that, but thought it would be some neighbour quarrel, or a couple of jokers making this thing.
                    Artistic license? I'll be damned if I would even have considered that option.

Well done Mark. Now, let's see what you can come up with.

Comment

Steve's clue gave it away - not functional. Searching for Drystone wall sculptures made it easier.

OK - my turn (Silly Polo!) - a bit easier this time.

What place is this?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

looks a lot like the harbour in Helsinki, where we walked on a shore visit. ??????

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                          looks a lot like the harbour in Helsinki, where we walked on a shore visit. ??????
                          Yep - too easy wasn't it! Lovely place Helsinki, nice people - and rather different to the other cities in the area, really like it.

So ... over to you Kiki!! Somewhere in Australia, or a pilot's eye view from an A380?
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yep - too easy wasn't it! Lovely place Helsinki, nice people - and rather different to the other cities in the area, really like it.

So ... over to you Kiki!! Somewhere in Australia, or a pilot's eye view from an A380?
                            Gosh cant believe got it right, its only easy if you have been there, it made me laugh because further along i got stuck in the automatic loos they have, had to wait till my mother came looking for me to put money in to get me out, lol will have a good think about a place.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

it is not Australia or Jersey !

Comment

Blimey, that was quick Kiki, i did not even get to see Marks offering before you had it nailed! Let's see if i stand more of a chance with this one. Off to google i go!

Comment

Working...
                                X