What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Sorry, Ombugge, i am unhappy about these clues.
    I would appreciate if you at least confirm or negotiate the suggest for a certain continent: Asia or not Asia?
    Does the term "vehicle" in your usage include planes or helicopters or not?
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I'm sorry that you are sorry, but to eliminate half the world or more take some of the edge off the challenge.

Compromise; It is not Asia and not from a plane or helicopter.

I'm on the road and may not be able to answer any questions "instantly" the next day or so.

Comment

If you're within hailing distance, Ombugge, I've been exploring S.America for some days. Am I wasting my time?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          If you're within hailing distance, Ombugge, I've been exploring S.America for some days. Am I wasting my time?
          No, not S. Amerika either. That took another chunk of the world out of the equation. (Very neatly asked I may say)
          You were closer before.

PS> I'm home now and should be on line for the nearest few days, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            No, not S. Amerika either. That took another chunk of the world out of the equation. (Very neatly asked I may say)
            You were closer before.

PS> I'm home now and should be on line for the nearest few days, at least.
            OK, so let me summarise what we think we know.

It's not Asia, it's not South America.

Ivy was 'closer before' - which I think takes us to Europe?

Picture is of a 'well known mountain range' which is not the Pyrenees, and is taken from a road.

So, trying a direct question Ombugge - 'I believe that we're in Europe, but not in France' - there are two statements there - how many are right?

(Remember to answer carefully Ombugge - otherwise our dear friend Ralf may complain )
            Last edited by PoloUK; January 29th, 2012, 11:46.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Picture is of a 'well known mountain range' which is not the Pyrenees, and is taken from a road.
              No, not necessarily, Mr. PoloUK. I'm inclined to a cable car.
              I'm so sorry about S. America - I was really enjoying myself. And hey - I know something you-all don't know, tra-la-la. That mountain icon used by Paramount Pictures is Pico Artesonraju in the Cordilerra Blanc, Peru, where I was roaming up the Andes. Fascinating stuff.

(Very neatly asked I may say)
              Oh, I'm usually very neat, Ombugge, though I do look a bit of a mess sometimes.

PS, I know where I'm going next but I ain't sayin' nuffin yet.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; January 29th, 2012, 12:34.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                No, not necessarily, Mr. PoloUK. I'm inclined to a cable car.
                Note to self. The grammar is there for a reason. "It is not Asia and it is not from a plane or a helicopter. I am on the road .........", at which point my brain turned off and thought - aahh, the picture's taken from a road. However, if I'd got to the end of the sentence, I'd have realised that wasn't what it meant at all!

Back to Cable Car (you and I obviously were thinking the same - my post 2019) - or an elevated road then!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So, trying a direct question Ombugge - 'I believe that we're in Europe, but not in France' - there are two statements there - how many are right?
                  Correct on both counts.

PS> Sometime the choice of words can hold a cryptic message in an otherwise unrelated sentence.

Comment

at which point my brain turned off and thought - aahh, the picture's taken from a road. However, if I'd got to the end of the sentence, I'd have realised that wasn't what it meant at all!
                    You mean you weren't concentrating - again, Mark? Hmm-mm, did you ever get to the end of that Railway Control Centre document?
                    Ivy

Comment

Correct on both counts.
                      Fantastic - that's narrowed it down - at least to a continent!! Should be easy now!

did you ever get to the end of that Railway Control Centre document?
                      Yep - got to the end of that one, done about 20 more since then. Sitting in the middle of a freezing cold office staring at my screen, thinking that there are better things to do on a Sunday than editing, reviewing and fettling tenders!! Watching CVF to keep me sane (which for me isn't enormously sane). Wearing my 'Hurtigruten' woolly jumper though!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Now where did I put that violin?
                        Ivy

Comment

Well, going on what's already been discovered, plus the knowledge that ombugge was in Malaga this winter, i think we may well be looking at a part of the Sierra Nevada mountain range?

This view looks very similar to ombugge's, but maybe from a different angle.

That picture can be found here.

If i am correct in my guess of the Sierra Nevada range, i presume Mr Ombugge would like the location narrowed down a bit further?
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Congratulation Steve!!! Sierra Nevada it is and the excact location is not required as I shot this through the car window as we were driving along highway A92 from Alicante to Granada.

I'm not sure exactly where that picture was taken, but this is the Sierra Nevadas as seen from the Al Ahambra in Granada:

We did not go up to the mountains as we were not chasing snow, but it is a surprisingly active skiing area, being so far South in Europe:
                            http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sierra-Nevada

Now for your challenge Steve.
                            Last edited by ombugge; January 30th, 2012, 05:31.

Comment

I must admit that if it were not for the help that the others gave i would not have found that location so quickly. When i first started to search European mountain ranges i was drawn to the ranges to the very north of Spain, they looked similar, plus there were similar trees. But i could not find any views that matched. After that i more of less gave up with Spain, it did not occur to me that there were ranges much further south that would still be snow covered. I did spot the Sierra Nevada range a couple of times, but my lack of geographical knowledge steered me away from them because i had always thought that the Sierra Nevada's were in the U.S.A! It was not until i looked into a few of the google results that i realised otherwise. Once i realised they were in Southern Spain i knew i could be onto something - mainly because of ombugge's posting of Malaga airport in another thread. Because of that i knew he had been in Southern Spain recently.

Ok, well let's see how long this one takes you all to solve.
                              Which place is this?

This image can be found on Little Zoe's Blog
                              Last edited by Steve.B; January 31st, 2012, 15:37. Reason: Adding photo credit.
                              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The third tree from the left looks familiar. Are we somewhere in the UK???

Comment

Working...
                                X