Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

No danger of a quick end from here!!

What was running through my mind was a trip to Bundaberg many years ago. I remember the narrow gauge railway tracks running through the streets and fields, and the old steam trains had - as I recall - spart arrestors to stop setting light to the sugar cane.

I was therefore putting two and two together with the distillery. Just don't believe that a building like that would be survivable somewhere tropical!!

So ... I'm guessing that we're somewhere that makes a drink, and we're outside Europe.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      ............. and we're outside Europe.
      We are indeed outside of Europe, but just how far outside i am not saying at this point. I don't want to be giving too much away just yet.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I believe we are in a Museum of Industry and Transportation, not a working Distillery, Brewery or whatever.

Some of the exhibits are not VERY old; the barge is welded, not riveted.

I believe we in an English speaking country, since the "name" of the barge contains "No" in the typical English way.

The "industrial plant" also appears to be fairly modern, with colour coded piping and some vessel that is likely used for fermentation of some description, but the end product is more unclear to me.

The "cargo" hanging over the barge is also unclear; is it the end product being loaded, or raw material arriving, or is it totally separate from whatever is produced in the back??

The locomotive looks small. It may be a arrow gauge "internal" means of transport, or a scale model not associated with the rest of the exhibits.

Frankly, I haven't found anything matching this picture anywhere and is running out of ideas.
        Last edited by ombugge; January 19th, 2012, 00:46.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          I believe we in an English speaking country, since the "name" of the barge contains "No" in the typical English way.
          It is only in the Parliament that the official language is English, however, English is generally accepted as the official language of this place.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I started off with transport, then moved to something quite different. However, I was deflected from my train of thought and think maybe my idea was wrong, because when Steve responded to Mark's suggestion at #1981
            I'm guessing that we're somewhere that makes a drink, and we're outside Europe.
            he mentioned only the location aspect. Steve, is it possible to confirm or deny the booze point? Or would that give too much away just now?
            I still don't think that it is anything to do with either drink or transport, but need to have Mark's idea out of the way before wasting time on my idea. This is intriguing.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Ivy, you are correct, i am having to be very careful what questions i answer here through fear of giving the game away. I will explain why when the puzzle is solved.

I can however tell you that the loco you see was once used to transport the finished product from site. Not sure how much help that will be, but at least confirms that it is an actual part of the history of this place, rather than some amusement brought in recently.

Comment

Probably going completely the wrong direction - but what about staying with sugar, but forgetting alcohol.

Sugar refining? Found a picture of very similar loco in Mauritius - but haven't had time to dig further - got some railways to re-signal before going home time!

http://www.travelmauritius.info/sugar_museum.html
                Last edited by PoloUK; January 19th, 2012, 15:19.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Probably going completely the wrong direction - but what about staying with sugar, but forgetting alcohol.

Sugar refining? Found a picture of very similar loco in Mauritius - but haven't had time to dig further - got some railways to re-signal before going home time!

http://www.travelmauritius.info/sugar_museum.html
                  You've got it Mark, it is indeed the sugar museum on Mauritius, L'Aventure du Sucre.

http://www.aventuredusucre.com/index...=content&id=53

I thought you had it when you said this....

What was running through my mind was a trip to Bundaberg many years ago. I remember the narrow gauge railway tracks running through the streets and fields, and the old steam trains had - as I recall - spart arrestors to stop setting light to the sugar cane.
                  Now you can see why i have been very careful with what questions i answered, if i had ruled out alcohol then i think you would have been straight back on the sugar theory, the same when ombugge asked about the produce hanging above the barge, if i had said that it was the finished product being loaded it would have again ruled out alcohol.

Well done Mark, but just my luck that you have visited a sugar farm with a loco that had a spark arrester fitted! I never thought the spark arrester would be such a big clue. I thought this one would keep you all busy for a few days, darn, i think it was solved quicker than it took me to find the photo in the first place!

Back to you then Mark.

Comment

Oh dear - that wasn't supposed to happen. I honestly thought I'd found the type of industry and then Ivy would come in and rescue me!! I only found the loco - which must have moved inside since that photo was taken - and that that was just going to point us in the right direction.

Better have a look at the hard disk to see where we haven't been for a while.

Great puzzle Steve.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Come in and rescue you, what a hope, Markie. I'd have been miles away on a dream trip of my own. You'll never guess - but I was on to silkworms. They were all boiling away in their cocoons inside those vats to kill them off, the sacks being loaded were full of the silk-wound bobbins starting on their journey to wherever the factory was that wove them into glimmering yards of material. The train would take them off the ship to complete the journey and there you were. Learnt a lot about silkworms, anyway. I remember keeping some when I was a kid, the neighbour had a mulberry tree and let me have leaves - mulberry fed worms produce the best silk (try to remember that as it's bound to come in useful some day ). They eventually died, probably of malnutrition, which was just as well because I could never have moved on to the next stage of my silk production!
                      Yes, a really great puzzle, Steve.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I missed the last one. It appeared and was solved before I even noticed. This one I had a go at, but lost out in the end.

Now let's see what type of challenge Mark can come up with. Well done.

Comment

OK - not my photo but somewhere I used to spend rather too much time!

Where in the world is this?

Photo by 'WiNG'
                          Last edited by PoloUK; January 25th, 2012, 10:37.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Blimey, i do not have a clue, i think i might have to go and browse the 'Building architectural thread' to see if i can get some ideas!

Comment

I am struggling with this one, anyone else got any ideas?
                              I have been looking around South East Asia because i can see what like small oriental structures hiding behind the trees to the right of the bridge, but they could well be anything, a marque or something like that. The red tiles on some of the roofs also make me think of somewhere like China, but they can also be found in many other places like the Med.(dunno)

Comment

Awfully quiet around here isn't it Steve!

You're in the right area - it is Asia.

We're somewhere where rapid development is happening, and new build housing and business areas are popping up everywhere. This particular area used to be relatively undeveloped until about 25 years ago when good communications links allowed rapid development.

We're looking for a country, a region and a town.

More clues tomorrow!
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X