X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Try this one. What and where is this?

Photograph by Steve Evans
    Last edited by wherrygirl; January 17th, 2012, 19:57. Reason: Attributed photograph
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Are we in Bhutan?

I searched for Buddhist emblems that matched the one in the photo, and the closest i could find to the golden one shown in the photo was this one. Similar.

I would not have stuck with the Bhutan theory, but i thought i would try and cross reference the flag that we see in the photo. So i searched for the Bhutan flag.

The colours certainly seem to match, but that is all i can tell from the photo. But putting these two together i think we could well be in, or near Bhutan.

But i have spent an hour so far searching for temples in that area with no success.
      Last edited by Steve.B; January 17th, 2012, 16:34.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

You've got to be right with Bhutan Steve - I found this:

It's labelled 'National Emblem of Bhutan'.

Only thing I couldn't find is where it is - which I guess would solve the puzzle!!
        Last edited by PoloUK; January 17th, 2012, 16:42.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

This is frustrating. I've now found this ...

BUT still no mention of where it is - just 'Festival in Bhutan'!!
          Last edited by PoloUK; January 17th, 2012, 17:32.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Steve, you're a wonder in finding the correct country so quickly, I really thought this would not be too easy as Bhutan is not exactly headline news in the dailies.
            However, nowhere can I find that the emblem pictured is the national emblem. I researched that well before posting the pic., including the Bhutan Government's own tourism site. It is not unlike it, as is that on the coin Steve found, but the symbols of the national emblem are different.
            Yes, it was a special festival, but where, and what is the building????

Sorry, I called it a coin, but it may just be a medal of some sort.
            Last edited by wherrygirl; January 17th, 2012, 18:52.
            Ivy

Comment

Ivy, if i had not found that coin i would not have had a clue where to look. And poor old Mark, he's found two photos of the actual building, and still none the wiser!
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Te-he-he. (Rubs hands together, chortling to herself.) But my glee won't last long, I know. Heigh-ho.....
                Ivy

Comment

That's enough of your chortling, Ivy!

Could this be Changlimithang Stadium, Thimpu?

A google of Bhutan celebrations led me to this.......

http://www.mountainkingdoms.com/blog...-national-day/
                  Last edited by Steve.B; January 17th, 2012, 19:32.

Comment

Oh %^&*($%&^*&!!!!!
                    Yep, you're there Steve. That's really well done, and so quickly.
                    I traced Mark's picture back to Flickr and left a comment there referring to the Bhutanese Govt.'s tourism site showing the national symbol. See http://www.tourism.gov.bt/bhutan/abo...bols-of-bhutan The Flickr chappie had copied the info. describing the emblem, but a quick read showed that it bore little resemblance to his symbol! As I said in my comment, there seem to be several Buddhist symbols in use, of which that was one.
                    OK, all yours now.
                    Ivy

Comment

That one's been fun. Loads of temples to look at - life in Bhutan seems to centre around Festivals!!

Well done Steve.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Something a little different for you all now, sorry it's not a larger picture.

Which place is this?

Comment

I have a hunch -are we in Portsmouth?
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            I have a hunch -are we in Portsmouth?
                            No, we are many many miles away from Portsmouth, Ivy.

Comment

Hmmm. Looks worth a visit, we just need to work out where in the world to go!

I was also thinking UK 'cos it looks like UK museums do!

What's throwing me is the spark catcher on the little loco. That doesn't rule the UK out, but it's more unusual. Can't help thinking that the key is the big collection of interconnected wood-clad tanks on the mezzanine. Distillery? Brewery? Flirted with Australia, but I think a tin clad building like that would be an oven!!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Your right Mark, a spark catcher like that is certainly something you would not expect to find on a loco in the UK. And yes, working out what all that equipment was used for will certainly help you bring this puzzle to a quick end.

Comment

Working...
                                X