Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    Do we get a bonus point for naming the steamer?
    You would if I had a clue which steamer it was!!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      You would if I had a clue which steamer it was!!
      Ah, yes, i must admit that would help. Well, i am sure someone will fill in that minor detail before long. I have a feeling one or two of the regulars will already be working on that one. I can even feel the urge coming on to look into it myself.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ah, yes, i must admit that would help. Well, i am sure someone will fill in that minor detail before long. I have a feeling one or two of the regulars will already be working on that one. I can even feel the urge coming on to look into it myself.
        You just go ahead Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          You just go ahead Steve.
          I think i may pass that offer Ombugge - owing to the fact i have just looked at this page on the internet.(dunno)(dunno)

http://www.swissitalianpaddlesteamer.../psdetail.html

Take your pick, she could be anyone of at least half a dozen. No bonus points for me.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Reckon when you find the village, narrowing down the steamer won't be as hard!

Ombugge is well on the way - you're just looking for a village on the banks of Lake Geneva, which is served by a steamer and has a pretty church.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I'm sure I have found this place, but will not spoil Ombugge's chance as after having a first look and then starting off in completely the wrong direction I had no time to explore further. I then returned to find you'd all narrowed it down, with Ombugge naming the lake. So all I had to do was choose a suitable phrase for Google to think about on Lake Geneva and Bingo! Without all this I honestly would never have got there.
              It's easy, Ombugge.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; January 15th, 2012, 12:26.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Don't be so kind. If anybody know the answer post it, that is what make it an interesting "competition". Don't expect the same kindness from me.

I have been away with only sporadic internet access and little time to "puzzle". I only noticed that there were low rolling hills, not high mountains with snow on the tops, that narrowed it down a bit. No time to look at Churches, Monasteries and Paddler Steamers.

Comment

Oh, I'm not being kind. Just matter of fact. I don't like coming in just when everyone else has done the donkey work.
                  But OK then, and maybe I'm wrong anyway . But on the strength of that church tower alone I think it's Yvoire, in France. See http://village.ht-savoie.com/Yvoire/index.html and http://www.yvoiretourism.com/chapitre10_en_2.html Whether I'm right or wrong, Yvoire looks a charming place.
                  Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    Oh, I'm not being kind. Just matter of fact. I don't like coming in just when everyone else has done the donkey work.
                    But OK then, and maybe I'm wrong anyway . But on the strength of that church tower alone I think it's Yvoire, in France. See http://village.ht-savoie.com/Yvoire/index.html and http://www.yvoiretourism.com/chapitre10_en_2.html Whether I'm right or wrong, Yvoire looks a charming place.
                    Picture No 4 on your second link seems to be conclusive, Ivy! And i know what you mean about coming in at the last moment when others have done the hard work, i have had a few instances in the past where i have joined the puzzle late and found a nice trail leading me to the answer, in such cases i will hang back and see if the others nail the final position, if not i will speak up. I always like to give you all a fair chance!

Comment

Yes, spot on.

Yvoire is a beautiful village - ancient, pretty buildings, good food, two excellent hotels, and steamer connections to Geneva and Lausanne.

The towns on the south side of the lake are in France - Yvoire, Thonon, Evian - all stunning, but all quite a lot cheaper than the Swiss northern side. Glorious food, especially the local 'perch and chips'!!

Well done Ivy. Where are we going next?
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

And i know what you mean about coming in at the last moment when others have done the hard work, i have had a few instances in the past where i have joined the puzzle late and found a nice trail leading me to the answer, in such cases i will hang back and see if the others nail the final position, if not i will speak up. I always like to give you all a fair chance!
                        I agree, Steve. I posted my solution because Ombugge indicated that beyond using the general geographical details to narrow it down he had had no further thoughts, probably being busy with this "something" called "work"! I hope you hadn't also found the place, because then I'd feel even guiltier at jumping in.
                        Mind you, although there's certainly a lovely, friendly, competitive element to this thread, which I do enjoy so much, what I always feel is that it is more a matter of the puzzle setter against "the rest." How quickly can we work towards scotching the setter's secret hope that this time he/she has really stumped them? That is such great fun.

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                        Yes, spot on.
                        Where are we going next?
                        Now I must find somewhere to have that secret hope about! Eek.....
                        Ivy

Comment

May i throw in that it is not possible to identify the paddle steamer. There are at least in minumum five possible alternatives, they all are steaming to Yvoire, partly daily, partly from time to time:
                          DS Savoie, DS Montreux, DS Rhône, DS La Suisse and DS Simplon...
                          With this size of the ship on the picture it is not possible to identify any differences.
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

To add to the confusion, I found a Grebe somewhere, approaching Yvoire! It's obviously a poipular place.
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              May i throw in that it is not possible to identify the paddle steamer. There are at least in minumum five possible alternatives, they all are steaming to Yvoire, partly daily, partly from time to time:
                              DS Savoie, DS Montreux, DS Rhône, DS La Suisse and DS Simplon...
                              With this size of the ship on the picture it is not possible to identify any differences.
                              That was also my conclusion in an earlier post i made. My first search had me thinking it was going to be easy after i spotted the 'Simplon', but then i realised there were several all very similar in design. I knew then that it would not be possible to solve that little mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                I agree, Steve. I posted my solution because Ombugge indicated that beyond using the general geographical details to narrow it down he had had no further thoughts, probably being busy with this "something" called "work"! I hope you hadn't also found the place, because then I'd feel even guiltier at jumping in.
                                Mind you, although there's certainly a lovely, friendly, competitive element to this thread, which I do enjoy so much, what I always feel is that it is more a matter of the puzzle setter against "the rest." How quickly can we work towards scotching the setter's secret hope that this time he/she has really stumped them? That is such great fun.
                                Yes it is a challenge from the puzzle setters to everyone, but it is also a competition between the puzzle solvers to be first to find the answer by just about any means.

If you think you know the answer, post it.
                                If you are wrong, try again. Nobody will "criticize" you for being wrong.
                                If you get a hint from somebody else's post which lead you in the right direction, use it to solve the puzzle.
                                If it takes several wrong steps to eventually get to the right answer, so much the better for the puzzle setter and the eventual solver.
                                Competition and co-operation in one easy packet for your enjoyment.
                                That is my opinion anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                                X