Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    It is not Jakarta and not the place where you take the ferry to Langkawi.
    It is in Malaysia though.

I may be incommunicado for a while. Good luck.
    No result after 4 days???
    I'm in communication again for while. I'll see if I can come up with a bit more info.

Comment

No result after 4 days???
      I'm in communication again for while. I'll see if I can come up with a bit more info.
      Well, progress has been a little slow! According to the web, there aren't that many places in Malaysia that have skyscrapers and aren't KL or Melaka!! Have been flirting with Ipoh, but not a huge amount of success.

Had a bit of time looking at both Kuching and JB. Don't think JB has got hills like that, but couldn't make the buildings tie up in Kuching.

A clue would be helpful!
      Last edited by PoloUK; January 11th, 2012, 21:03.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Hills??? What hills???
        There are many places in Malaysia with tall houses, not necessarily sky scrapers.
        FIY; all the red neon signs you see is hotels and the picture is taken from another hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          Thanks for a trip to somewhere different Ivy! Can we have more clues in the next one though!
          A clue would be helpful!
          Always demanding clues, this chap Ombugge has already said
          Here is the next puzzle, with plenty of clues.
          Mind you, I can't find them, either.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

More clues????
            The place have been mentioned in one of the replies.

Comment

Is it Johor Bahru Ombugge? The left hand building could conceivably be the City Plaza building with its 'Prudential' sign. (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/24826751.jpg) New York Hotel pretty much in the middle. MAA building one in from the right, Grand Paragon extreme right.

Can't work out which hotel you're in though. Century, Holiday Plaza?
              Last edited by PoloUK; January 12th, 2012, 20:18.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Is it Johor Bahru Ombugge? The left hand building could conceivably be the City Plaza building with its 'Prudential' sign. (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/24826751.jpg) New York Hotel pretty much in the middle. MAA building one in from the right, Grand Paragon extreme right.

Can't work out which hotel you're in though. Century, Holiday Plaza?
                You got it!!! As far as I can remember it was taken from Holiday Plaza.

Well done and back to you Mark. Looking forward to all the clues you are going to offer.

Comment

That was a very clever one Ombugge. When I first saw it I thought it looked like Singapore a few years ago, the hill leading up from the top of Orchard Road into Orange Grove Road, and the few taller buildings around Tanglin Road. Then I realised that it wasn't, and got confused. If only I'd realised how close I was!!

My memories of JB are of the complete difference between Singapore and Johor Bahru. We used to have to go across the causeway to leave Singapore in order to get our visas renewed when we were there for a longer time. I remember driving over the causeway and being struck by how much more manic it was - more of the young gents on their motorbikes with their jackets on backwards, loads of proton cars, vehicles in all directions pointing in all directions!! That was in the early 1990s, I doubt it's like that any more!! We used to have lunch and then come back to the island, having had a pleasant Friday lunch 'abroad'.

Anyway ... possibly too many clues in this one, but what a stunning place. What place is this?

Last edited by PoloUK; January 13th, 2012, 00:29.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Best guess; Lake Constance???

Comment

Best guess; Lake Constance???
                      Good guess. No - but in the right general part of the world.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Just a quick try.

Italy, Lago di Garda, view from the town Toscolano-Maderno over the lake, the steamer "Zanardelli" is approaching.

This is a "could-be", i have no according pictures to proove that...
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                          Just a quick try.

Italy, Lago di Garda, view from the town Toscolano-Maderno over the lake, the steamer "Zanardelli" is approaching.

This is a "could-be", i have no according pictures to proove that...
                          Hi Ralf!

No, 'fraid not. You and Ombugge are both in the right sort of area though - to within a few hundred km.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Lake Geneva?????.....................

Comment

Lake Geneva?????.....................
                              Very good. That's narrowed it down to around 70km from end to end! Can you tell me which country we're in, and which village? There are loads of photos of it on the web.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Very good. That's narrowed it down to around 70km from end to end! Can you tell me which country we're in, and which village? There are loads of photos of it on the web.
                                Do we get a bonus point for naming the steamer?

(Not that i know it, nor would i jump in whilst Ombugge is so close to solving this one)
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X