What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

[QUOTE=ombugge;78307It could be anywhere, except in the Med according to her own statement. Can we then assume that "the Med" includes the Aegean as well???[/QUOTE]
    You may assume so.

What can we assume??

The Clock Tower has a cross on top and is thus most likely a Church or a Convent, but I have not been able to locate a match.
    Yes, the building does come within the first category, though strictly speaking it is no mere church.

Although there is a distinct Iberian feel to the scene, that doesn't necessarily put us there, since the Spaniards and Portuguese took their architecture and lifestyle with them to their colonies in the Americas, Africa and Asia, which cover a large part of the world.
    Now you're making sense.

The palm tree narrows it down to warmer climes, but it doesn't look Tropical so it is likely to be in the temperate belt, or at high altitude.
    The cars looks European but small cars are also common in South and Central America.
    Yep.

If we are in Europe, my gut feeling is that we are most likely in SW or Central Spain, or in Portugal, based on the architecture with Gothic arches and Rose window etc., yet with a Moorish feel to it.
    Forget it.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      Yep - I'm with you Ombugge! I've spent 20 odd minutes touring Portuguese and Spanish (non-seaside) bell towers - you know when you've seen a dozen you've seen them all. I also had a brief trip to South America - even briefly to Macau - but I soon came back from there. I also had the Aegean / Adriatic idea - but got nowhere.

Help Ivy!!
      Mark, ole chap, you mustn't cut short your trips like that!
      Ivy

Comment

After a "million" clock towers I finally found a match:

The Cathedral in Cochabamba, Bolivia.

A good match to the puzzle picture:

This magnificent Cathedral was built as early as 1571.
        Ivy will probably have more info.

Comment

Congratulations Ombugge!! That was a difficult one - like you say, after a while you get 'bell-tower blindness'!

Thanks for a trip to somewhere different Ivy! Can we have more clues in the next one though!
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Although Ivy hasn't confirmed it yet I feel confident that I eventually managed to find the solution. A long and hard slog though.

Here is the next puzzle, with plenty of clues.

Where in the wide world are we here??

Comment

Very well done, Ombugge. But you two - hard slog???? no clues???? Well, well, well, it took only 3 days to narrow the field after Ombugge had studied several clues which he spelt out for everyone, and as to hard slog, well, look back at many puzzles we have had even since I joined the thread and which have taken us ages to solve because of the lack of obvious clues. All the more fun therefore.
              Ah, you're getting soft.
              My puzzle is old history now and I won't get in the way of the new puzzle by giving more info. - there is plenty of it on the web including Cochabamba's connectiions to the world conferences on climate change. By the way, I notice that no-one took up the bonus point.
              Now the new one! Clues??? Taken from the window of a room presumably where Ombugge was, a view of a night time scene therefore difficult to pick out details, we have five tower blocks - one with a possible clock tower????, trees and minute details of a few buildings. Illuminated signs dazzle but maybe can help.
              So, Mark, what clues do you unearth here?
              Ivy

Comment

"Going soft"? Yes, probably.

I'm leaning to Asia / Australia. That's based on the high-rises, the trees and the architectural style of the houses.

Seems to be on the side of a hill, with mountains behind. Looks rather nice.

Unfortunately this week I've got the issue of work interfering with my travels around the world with Google!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I wonder, and this is a pretty wild guess, though I feel a drag towards it, are we somewhere in Malaysia?
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    I wonder, and this is a pretty wild guess, though I feel a drag towards it, are we somewhere in Malaysia?
                    You are leaning in the right direction.

Comment

If we are in Malaysia, I would like to say somewhere in Malacca, but.... I think we actually might be in Kuala Lumpur...?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        If we are in Malaysia, I would like to say somewhere in Malacca, but.... I think we actually might be in Kuala Lumpur...?
                        None of the above, but a good try.

Comment

Yes, I tried out KL but it's packed tight with skyscrapers.
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                            None of the above, but a good try.
                            Not Malacca, and not KL.... could we be near the place where we take the ferry to Langkawi?

Comment

Might it be Jakarta? I'm looking at http://wikitravel.org/en/Image:Popul...in_jakarta.jpg
                              Ivy

Comment

It is not Jakarta and not the place where you take the ferry to Langkawi.
                                It is in Malaysia though.

I may be incommunicado for a while. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X