What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

This one is not an easy puzzle to solve.
    What do we know?? We are "overseas" somewhere. Seen from the UK that could be just about anywhere, incl. Europe.
    We are somewhere North of Malta. In other words, North of 36 degr, North Latitude.
    There is a fairly large tidal difference, which excludes the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. The rest of North West Europe coast is possible, but the vegitation indicate that it is not in the southern parts, nor in the far north. Somewhere between Lisboa and Brittany appears most likely.
    I was looking at the Azores, but the typical Eucalyptus and Pine trees appears to be missing in the picture.

It could be anywhere along US East Coast Chesapeake to Main, or the West coast from San Francisco and north.

That narrows it down a bit. Any hints available Mark???

Comment

Hiya - I love the way you work these out. It's so logical, and shows so much knowledge of so much of the world! Great stuff.

OK, we're in Western Europe, and on a (pretty big) Island. We're not in the UK though.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

sardinie????????????
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
          sardinie????????????
          Nope. Not normally as warm as Sardinia - although this particular day it was lovely.

We're at a sea port, but not the Mediterranean sea.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

shit yes, Ombugge said excluding the med.stupid
            best regards Thijs

Comment

I think this is Howth Lighthouse, Co. Dublin. See http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAg&dur=1529
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Fantastic Ivy, well done.

Lovely place, Howth - very close to Dublin, but very pretty and a lovely place to visit. Ombugge was well on the way there when he picked up the high tidal range - and I totally understand why Thijs was looking where he was - it was very un-Irish weather on that visit.

Back for another Ivy special then!!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well, before I had seen other members' thoughts I had started off in the Channel Isles, moved to northern France, had a quick look round Denmark, then, after your large island hint, tried the Isle of Man. Finally, in despair, thought OK - Eire it must be.
                  But the life history of the chap who built that lighthouse, John Rennie 1761-1821, shows him to be an incredible engineer. The URL I gave in my previous post goes to the page showing the Howth lighthouse, but this URL: http://gerald-massey.org.uk/smiles/c_smeaton_4.htm goes to the first page of many about this brilliant man's achievements. If you have the time, well worth reading.
                  Ivy

Comment

Interesting stuff. Must admit that I hadn't really read up on Howth either, but the Wikipedia entry is quite interesting too. I greatly regret having missed a trip to the 'Bog of the Frogs'!!

I see also that Howth has a 'Trent' class lifeboat - easy to forget that the RNLI covers all of the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Now to start the New Puzzle Year, what are you looking at here, and where is it? Bonus if anyone can also identify the name of the area where the photographer was standing.

Photograph: Paul Richter
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; January 5th, 2012, 13:39. Reason: Attributed photograph
                      Ivy

Comment

Hmmm. The colour of the stone, the shape of the window, and the funny little hoops acting as fences - combined with the fact that Thijs mentioned it for the previous puzzle - make me think Malta. But in a 20 minute tour of Malta and Gozo I haven't found this one yet.

I'm at least guessing Med if not Malta.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Then I should give up the Malta/Gozo tour, Mark. And get out of the Med. while you're at it!
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            Then I should give up the Malta/Gozo tour, Mark. And get out of the Med. while you're at it!
                            Shame - I was very happy there. It was warm. Oh well - off somewhere else then!
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I have looked at more clock towers than you can shake a stick at, but none that match the one in the puzzle picture. So it is time to have a look at what we know, which is not very much;

This is not one of Ivy's own pictures so it is no use to look at where she has been lately.
                              It could be anywhere, except in the Med according to her own statement. Can we then assume that "the Med" includes the Aegean as well???

What can we assume??

The Clock Tower has a cross on top and is thus most likely a Church or a Convent, but I have not been able to locate a match.

Although there is a distinct Iberian feel to the scene, that doesn't necessarily put us there, since the Spaniards and Portuguese took their architecture and lifestyle with them to their colonies in the Americas, Africa and Asia, which cover a large part of the world.

The palm tree narrows it down to warmer climes, but it doesn't look Tropical so it is likely to be in the temperate belt, or at high altitude.

The cars looks European but small cars are also common in South and Central America.

If we are in Europe, my gut feeling is that we are most likely in SW or Central Spain, or in Portugal, based on the architecture with Gothic arches and Rose window etc., yet with a Moorish feel to it.

But what say you Ivy?? Any comments to my assumptions so far??
                              Last edited by ombugge; January 3rd, 2012, 13:39.

Comment

Yep - I'm with you Ombugge! I've spent 20 odd minutes touring Portuguese and Spanish (non-seaside) bell towers - you know when you've seen a dozen you've seen them all. I also had a brief trip to South America - even briefly to Macau - but I soon came back from there. I also had the Aegean / Adriatic idea - but got nowhere.

Help Ivy!!
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X