What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I don't think this is correct, but might it be in the area of Deer Cave, Mulu?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      I don't think this is correct, but might it be in the area of Deer Cave, Mulu?
      No it is not Deer Cave, Mulu National Park. Wrong island.

But Mulu National Park is a VERY interesting place for those who doesn't crave too much comfort, safety and security.
      I have never been that far up river, but it is supposed to be one of the more spectacular sights to behold.

PS> Link to the web site for Mulu National Park: http://www.mulupark.com/htm/cave_activities/index.htm
      Last edited by ombugge; December 11th, 2011, 13:40.

Comment

Are we on Borneo? (As it were - I'm actually sitting in a hotel room in Southampton, watching the rain stream down the window, thinking that South East Asia may be slightly less wintery!).
        Last edited by PoloUK; December 11th, 2011, 19:33.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          Are we on Borneo? (As it were - I'm actually sitting in a hotel room in Southampton, watching the rain stream down the window, thinking that South East Asia may be slightly less wintery!).
          No not on Borneo, but Mulu Park is.

We have our daily afternoon showers, but at least they stop and is warm.

Comment

Hmm - you said 'wrong island' when Ivy suggested Mulu, and you confirmed that when I showed my ignorance by not realising Sarawak was part of Borneo.

That implies that it's not the mainland either!

I assume therefore that we need to work our way through the islands - I only know Tioman and Langkawi.

Hmmm - will think again later - by which time one of the others will have found it. A new building has appeared outside the hotel overnight - black, white and has 'Cunard' plastered all over it. Some old Queen. Better go and have a look at her - before IKEA and the other shops!!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Time for a little additional info here???
              Maybe this got some hints as to the location:

Comment

Are we even in the right country? Perhaps we're in Indonesia rather than Malaysia? Java would then be the 'other island'.

Ciater Hot Springs / Sari Ater?

Have looked at a few hot springs since this challenge appeared, they're starting to all look the same! What's confusing me enormously is that if I go to http://www.sariater-hotel.com/index....pose&Itemid=85 facilities, thermal pool (at the bottom) and look at the fifth picture, everything looks identical, apart from the fact that the little shed has a pitched roof, not a flat one like in your photo!! That's what's sowing doubt in my mind!
                Last edited by PoloUK; December 15th, 2011, 00:07.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Diekirch is a pretty town - more famous than this sculpture is the Donkey Sculpture, since the mascot of the town is the Donkey! The railway is a spur from the main Luxembourg - Troisvierges (and on to Gouvy in Belgium) line, but this is well used for the various schools and industrial activities in the town. All of the towns are immaculately kept, and there is a lot of interest in and around them - not to mention rather wonderful 'salons de the' and cream cakes.

- and well done Ivy, Ralf and Steve B for their logical deductions too!
                  Such a pity that i was away and could not take part at the further search. But i did not have Luxemburg in my mind. And i also was searching for a locomotive with that nose and window layout. Now i know it is a motor coach! See here: http://www.bahnphoto.net/photos/lu/lu2000.html

So running along two wrong paths it would have been a hard task for me!

They have a remarkable railroad system, German steam enthusiasts from time to time are organizing steam trips there - i saw several TV reports.

Interesting story also about the brewery: the owner Anheuser-Busch (InBev) wants to to close it and move the production to Belgium. The people from Diekirch then went to the European Court to ensure that Diekirch beer must be brewed in Diekirch and not at another place (“Appellation d'Origine”). I think they are fighting until today. But your friends will know more about it. That was a great puzzle!
                  Last edited by Ralf__; December 15th, 2011, 15:21.
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    They have a remarkable railroad system, German steam enthusiasts from time to time are organizing steam trips there - i saw several TV reports.
                    Hi Ralf - yes, the railway is definitely very special. The steam specials look great - this was a few years ago now, but one of them starting from idyllic Kautenbach station, seen from the Hochslay side.

Thanks for the info on Diekirch beer - I'd missed all that, and look forward to finding out more. Personally I don't like beer, but I don't mind a cold glass of Moselle white, so hopefully the Luxembourg white wine production is still OK!

Apologies for the off-thread post, but Ralf's comments were too good an opportunity to miss for a gratuitous steam train photo!! I look forward to Ombugge's update on our current puzzle - and feedback on post #1867,
                    Last edited by PoloUK; December 15th, 2011, 16:00.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Are we even in the right country? Perhaps we're in Indonesia rather than Malaysia? Java would then be the 'other island'.

Ciater Hot Springs / Sari Ater?

Have looked at a few hot springs since this challenge appeared, they're starting to all look the same! What's confusing me enormously is that if I go to http://www.sariater-hotel.com/index....pose&Itemid=85 facilities, thermal pool (at the bottom) and look at the fifth picture, everything looks identical, apart from the fact that the little shed has a pitched roof, not a flat one like in your photo!! That's what's sowing doubt in my mind!
                      Yes it is Ciater, near Lembang, West Java. Sari Ater Resort is also correct, although there are several smaller establishment around the hot springs.

These pictures are from a few years back, when visiting Bandung and Lembang in search of my youth. I visited here back in 1968, when serving on a Djakarta Lloyd ship. Being a National shipping company they had taken over some of the former Dutch holiday bungalows there, which were available for our use during weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        Yes it is Ciater, near Lembang, West Java. Sari Ater Resort is also correct, although there are several smaller establishment around the hot springs.

These pictures are from a few years back, when visiting Bandung and Lembang in search of my youth. I visited here back in 1968, when serving on a Djakarta Lloyd ship. Being a National shipping company they had taken over some of the former Dutch holiday bungalows there, which were available for our use during weekends.
                        Well that was a tough one! Very enjoyable - would have never got there without the second photo.

Will try to find a new puzzle to live up to that one later.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

OK then - how about this one? Let's see if it lasts longer than an afternoon!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

My goodness, you did well finding that one of Ombugge's, Mark. I had no time yesterday, but I had already more or less given up on it.

As to your puzzle - are we in Italy here? I see two little clues but cannot relate them to a particular building yet - if ever!
                            Ivy

Comment

Morning Ivy.

Not Italy. Wrong continent -but very logical question.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Wrong continent! Now that makes it really interesting. At least, I assume you include the British Isles in that? I never quite know when people speak or think of Europe whether they also include us, it depends so much on the context.
                                So is it the USA?
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; December 16th, 2011, 13:49.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X