Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Umm-mm, I was about to move on to Belgian cider, I knew that building had to do with booze of some kind. But now I'm thrown. Local to whom????
    PS Oh, is it Pilsner?
    Can I repair my English: "and in fact in a town that gives its name to a popular local brand of drink" - not quite what I said earlier! Apologies.

No, it's not Pilsen.

The town has a local light beer named after it, but that's not what the building is for (at least not today, don't know what the former use was).

You are getting geographically much warmer!!
    Last edited by PoloUK; December 10th, 2011, 00:37.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

a town that gives its name to a popular local brand of drink
      No better. Local brand where?????????? Chippenham? (Like trying to get blood out of a stone).
      Going to bed now, so you've got a few hours to improve your English.

Bet that building was a malthouse, brewery or something similar in the past.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; December 10th, 2011, 00:50.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I'll venture a guess again; Zatec, Czech Republic???

They brew a light beer with the same name in town and it is a centre of hops production.

Couldn't find anything that looked like that monument there, but it is a railway hub.

Comment

OK then, let's look at the evidence so far.

Firstly, no, not Czech Republic, but I can see why you're thinking that.

Not France or Switzerland - although in the right geographic area - and Ivy was starting to think Belgian things - well, this isn't Belgium, but you're getting very close. It's not the UK.

Don't get caught up on the brewing theme, although as I confirmed there is a brewery here - and as you gathered from the photo there are some military barracks too.

We're in an area that is probably one of the most underrated tourist areas of Western Europe, a lovely place to visit with a huge variety of countryside and towns in a very small area.

I must admit to having not a clue what the symbolism of this particular sculpture is, I just know that it's pretty - and looking on the web, I'm not the only one to have taken photos of it.

Carry on!!
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Since we have eliminated just about any major country in Northern Europe and it is close to Belgium, it could only be Luxembourg.

Beer brand and railways station names within Luxembourg coincided at a place called Diekirch and there I found this monument:

That took some time and a few false steps, but I sure learnt that there are a lot of places with beer brands named after them in the Czech Republic, in Poland and other places in Europe.

Now I'll go and have a REAL Singapore Beer, ANCHOR. Cheers!!!

Comment

Well done Ombugge!! Brilliant detective work.

Yes, Diekirch is one of the larger towns in the north of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The north is largely Ardennes woodland, with fairy tale castles (including Vianden and Clervaux), whilst the south is a little more industrial until you get to the vineyards on the banks of the Moselle in the area around Grevenmacher and Remich.

One of the great things is that the main north south railway line cuts through the beautiful north in such a way that there are dozens of walks which become circular through using the train to return to the starting point.

Diekirch is a pretty town - more famous than this sculpture is the Donkey Sculpture, since the mascot of the town is the Donkey! The railway is a spur from the main Luxembourg - Troisvierges (and on to Gouvy in Belgium) line, but this is well used for the various schools and industrial activities in the town. All of the towns are immaculately kept, and there is a lot of interest in and around them - not to mention rather wonderful 'salons de the' and cream cakes.

Nice place!

Look forward to the next Ombugge special - and well done Ivy, Ralf and Steve B for their logical deductions too!
              Last edited by PoloUK; December 10th, 2011, 14:50.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Just a quickie, Mark: has that apple tree - which led me astray - any special significance, or is it probably just to provide a pleasant backdrop to the train? What a lovely place it seems to be. Great puzzle, this one.
                Ivy

Comment

I honestly don't know Ivy. I need to write a Christmas email to friends in the next town to Diekirch, and will try to find out then!!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ivy - my source tells me that the monument is in recognition of one of the anniversaries of the opening of the railway line - think it was pretty new when the photo was taken in 2005. The apple tree is a reference to the orchards in this area of the country.

And humble apologies - the building behind is the back wall of the brewery! Entirely my confusion!! We're planning a short break there in 2012, for the first time in several years - and I promise to re-familiarise myself with the area, just in case!!
                    Last edited by PoloUK; December 10th, 2011, 17:05.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Mark.
                      The next one will definitively be outside the UK and Europe. We have been all too long in that region lately, especially considering the weather there at this time of the year.

Give me some time to find something challenging though. Slamat Malam!!
                      Last edited by ombugge; December 10th, 2011, 17:33.

Comment

Many thanks for the info., Mark - that was quick! And so we can look forward to more pics. from that area next year, I hope?
                        Now to await "Ombugge's revenge" . What about a Himalayan pass??? I've been watching Ice Road Truckers on TV, sitting on the edge of my chair as they squeeze along the ledge that passes for a road, with the mountain wall on one side and a sheer drop on the other, wheels literally inches from the edge and sometimes the outer one half over. And when they meet something coming the other way - oh boy!
                        Ivy

Comment

OK, here is a puzzle picture to warm your heart in the cold winter:

Where in the world is this?????

Comment

Hmmm - looks rather good. Guessing that we're either in Indonesia or Malaysia, leaning towards Malaysia at the moment - thought I was onto something until I realised that there are scores of waterfalls on the waterfallsofmalaysia site!!
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                              Hmmm - looks rather good. Guessing that we're either in Indonesia or Malaysia, leaning towards Malaysia at the moment - thought I was onto something until I realised that there are scores of waterfalls on the waterfallsofmalaysia site!!
                              You are obviously in the right part of the world there Mark.
                              Besides the waterfall there is another prominent clue here that will help narrow it down a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                You are obviously in the right part of the world there Mark.
                                Besides the waterfall there is another prominent clue here that will help narrow it down a bit.
                                Well, it does look like the water is warm - judging by the steam pouring off it.
                                Last edited by PoloUK; December 11th, 2011, 12:53.
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X