What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Well that was really quick, it catched me a few minutes before leaving to lunch. I saw the pub sign and gave it a try by searching some pictures with the keywords "mermaid pub sign". Comparing a few, putting one and one together and there was Burford High Street. The rest was wikipedia...

So it was just a little relaxation inbetween my "hard work"...

Try this one, there are some clues also on the signs, we will see how far they will help you:

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf - think I've got it. I'll PM to you rather than ruining the fun for the others though - and also to prevent acute embarrassment if I've got it wrong!!
      Last edited by PoloUK; December 8th, 2011, 22:49.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Don't be so coy Mark. We learn from mistakes, not hiding them.

No being afraid to be wrong, I'll venture a guess; The Medieval Market Festival at Meersburg am Bodensee???

Comment

Ombugge, i was pushing you in this direction, because of the advertisement banner at the wall of the riding arena. But this is too obvious, so my plan worked out. But not with the other guy.

Mark, spot on! Post your solution, you've got it precise and perfectly. A good fast break to my solution!

And please: Tell us also the way to your immediate solution!

Comment

Well I don't really want to hog the thread! I enjoy this one because there are several of us on it, and anyone of us may strike lucky - there's been too much from me lately!!

But OK, it's

Hengstparade 2011 at Marbach, Germany

www.gestuet-marbach.de

https://www.landwirtschaft-bw.info/s...437/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZS0-x9xXFk

I got there by googling ESSA and "pferd" - and then looking for events in Germany (Bodensee helped) in 2011 ('Pferd Bodensee' was being advertised for Feb 2012).

I quickly got to a list of the different countries and the ESSA studs within them, and the rest fell into place.

Will post a new one later - and then keep my head down for a while!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Great. I didn't even think about the meaning of ESSA before!
              So we learn more and more with each puzzle.

Don't keep your head down, it is a thrilling contest. We had several times the case, that a few seconds decided, who solved a puzzle first, ask Steve!
              Last edited by Ralf__; December 9th, 2011, 14:57.

Comment

So well done, Mark.
                But as Ombugge says, we learn by our mistakes. We're all pals here, sometimes we hazard a guess out of the blue, sometimes we think we have seen something but then find it has lead us in a completely wrong direction. But by posting our guess, if it turns out to be wrong, at least that turns everyone away from wasting time in exploring that area. I have many times got there because of other people's guesses, right or wrong. And in Ralf's fun park, Ombugge tried out a place, and although it was wrong it helped to pinpoint the area in which to search, then I just happened to be first on the scene after Ralf more or less gave us the answer.
                It's all part of the fun, and becomes a sort of communal effort sometimes, the puzzle setter against the rest!
                You are not allowed to keep your head down, by the way.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Ralf and Ivy. My fear was more of hogging the thread than of failure!

Will post a new puzzle soon.

Head half down!!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So - where's this?

One or two clues removed - in the unlikely event that this lasts more than a day, I'll add them back in - I very much doubt that will be necessary with the super sleuths on this thread!!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Lots of action taking place here i see!

I have been busy getting ready for family coming down for a week, so not had much chance to participate here, so will leave you all to play happily!

This new one from Mark looks interesting, i have a feeling the red train that is sticking it's nose out from behind the buildings will be a big help in narrowing this one's location down. I have a feeling Ralf will be on this one like a shot!
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Seems you are all guessing wrong. I tried several possibilities combining words with "monument", searched around locomotive pictures to find that typical nose... without any effort! I must wait for the right idea and come back later. Not so easy this one!!! At least for me....

P.S my first guess goes for a place in Switzerland or France...it looks so warm there and there are the soldiers, the building... just a feeling.
                        Last edited by Ralf__; December 9th, 2011, 16:58.

Comment

The apple tree on the model puzzles me. Believe it or not there is a model train site called the Apple Tree Railway, purporting to be in Devon with mythical stations. But the model trains look good! However, I can't find any connection.
                          Ivy

Comment

Are we looking at a distillery, perhaps?
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                              Are we looking at a distillery, perhaps?
                              Not a distillery, not France, not Switzerland. Europe certainly - and in fact in a town that gives its name to a popular brand of local drink.
                              Last edited by PoloUK; December 10th, 2011, 00:08.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Umm-mm, I was about to move on to Belgian cider, I knew that building had to do with booze of some kind. But now I'm thrown. Local to whom????
                                PS Oh, is it Pilsner?
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; December 10th, 2011, 00:22.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X