Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    I take it that this relates to your latest offering, Ivy? Simple she says! Well i am well over the 5 minutes already, i am thinking maybe France, could this place be on the coast of Brittany somewhere?
    5 min.??? Call back after you spent 5 Hours searching for this one!!!

Comment

Te-he! No, not France, I'm afraid, Steve.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        5 min.??? Call back after you spent 5 Hours searching for this one!!!
        Ah, you miss understood what i wrote, i had spent more than 5 minutes searching, over an hour actually. I spent all of that time looking in France and not getting anywhere, hence i asked the question to save wasting further time in France if i was wrong. And thankfully i was wrong because if it was in France i was really struggling!

So thank you Ivy, i am rather relieved it was not France after all. i have another couple of areas in mind, so i will trot off and do some searching.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I spent 5 hours and are no further!!!!

Comment

O.K. Let's have a closer look. Sheeps and stone walls show a landscape further North (or South). The buildings look quite new to me, also the wall is fixed with concrete. To me that does not look like Scotland or Ireland. Are we in New Zealand??
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Are we in New Zealand??
              I'm afraid not, Ralf.
              Ivy

Comment

Well, to join the long queue of the perplexed - the cars appear to be driving on the left - which bears out earlier theories - helped by your clue that it's not New Zealand.

I reckon we're in mainland UK. Confirmation of that would at least bring us down to 700 odd miles and three countries.

Can you comment on that broad hypothesis Ivy?
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Just a thought Ivy.

Are we 'connected' to the UK mainland rather than on it?

Lindisfarne / Holy Island? The Priory?

Blimey but I'm going to look daft if that's wrong - but the little hump next to it seems to clinch it.
                  Last edited by PoloUK; December 7th, 2011, 21:35.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, well done, you're on Lindisfarne, or Holy Island, but not at the famous Priory. What is it in the distance, your little hump?
                    Ivy

Comment

Apologies - getting my monuments mixed up.

On the hump is the National Trust's Lindisfarne Castle, http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...disfarnecastle, not to be confused (as I did) with English Heritage's Lindisfarne Priory.

We used to travel that way more often, then someone kindly closed down the Newcastle - Stavanger - Haugesund - Bergen and Newcastle - Kristiansand - Gothenburg ferries.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Very well done, Mark. I had hoped, by the reaction of Steve and Ombugge, that this would last a little longer as there was so little to go on in the photo, which was why I desceribed it as "simple". But your personal knowledge won the day! Yes, I travelled on the Newcastle-Bergen ferry, and also on the Norfolk Line from Gt. Yarmouth to Scheveningen, but sadly both closed down.
                        So, your turn now.
                        Ivy

Comment

OK, so something a little different, inspired by Ivy's shots of the Mummers on the 366 thread.

This is UK again - don't think that's a massive clue though!!

Where are we, and what on earth is going on?

(And for a bonus point, name the owners of all the legs - no maybe not!).

I admit to some minor Photoshopping to remove the clues that would have made this too easy.

The info is out there to be found - I don't think that the Brits have any particular advantage with this, and the non-Brits should have a fantastic opportunity to marvel at how odd we are!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

First question: Where? Is this Oxfordshire, Burford High Street??

Second question: Is this the festival of the Golden Dragon??
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              First question: Where? Is this Oxfordshire, Burford High Street??

Second question: Is this the festival of the Golden Dragon??
                              Too easy!! Yes Ralf, spot on - and very quick. How did you find it?

Basically the Dragon Procession is held at Mid-summer every year to celebrate the Saxon vs Mercians away match of AD752.

The head is built on a steel frame with wheels, and the tail is fabric stretched over hoops. Morris dancers and various other exciting things join the procession as it snakes its way down the hill.

This photo is taken in the late 80s / early 90s - for many years I was either part of the tail, or for a couple of years the chief Dragon driver. Happy days. Mad English folk!!

Burford is a place of many ghosts and legends - the dragon is one of many!!

Well done Ralf - over to you.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ye gods and little fishes, and I never even got round to looking at this. You need to be careful of that Ralf chap, he knows too much. Why isn't he hard at work, anyway, loafing about solving puzzles?
                                I am ashamed, I never knew about the Golden Dragon, though we have a Dragon in Norwich and a fortnight's Dragon Festival took place early this year.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; December 8th, 2011, 17:40.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X