What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Well, that was lucky. I confess my complete ignorance of both Henning Mankell and his 'tec. Kurt Wallender. As soon as Mark posted the second picture that pointed me to a hotel or some-such, though the Swedish flag did not necessarily mean Sweden as the locality for it could have just indicated a Swede in residence. Still, I plumped for the country, then somehow came across Wallender, but did not connect him with Ystad. And Seagull's entry into the fray confirmed Sweden anyway!
    Right, as Steve said, the more puzzling puzzle is trying to find the next one to post.
    Pity about that grain of sand, it was a real beauty.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Have a try at this one:

Ivy

Comment

looks like holland.
        Den Bosch?
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Ah Thijs, spot on, well done. I banked on neither you nor Ralf knowing Den Bosch - apart from the well-travelled route to a certain hotel . I'd love to know what made you say it looks like Holland. I considered that point before I posted, knowing that you would be lurking around, but couldn't see anything particularly Dutch.
          Now, can you identify the structure?
          Ivy

Comment

Well - it had gone quiet for a while, so I thought I'd have a look.

According to Google Earth it's a 'Bridge Decoration' - possibly at the junction of Stationsweg, Van der Does de Willeboissingel, Visstraat judging by the flowers in front and houses behind.

Has something fallen off though? On GE there are little crown-y type things on the top where the little wirey poles are sticking up. Can't post the picture without violating GE's copyright I think!

Can't help thinking there's something more significant than that though by the way you're asking the question.

What are we missing Ivy?
            Last edited by PoloUK; November 23rd, 2011, 13:07.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think you are spot on there Mark. And i see what you mean about something being missing. I wonder where the decorations from the top have gone?

I have no problems with using images from a giant search company that have no regards whatsoever when it comes to other peoples privacy. Do they ask permission when they send their camera vans down our streets taking photos of our houses and cars?, or when they place tracking cookies on our computers? Or how about their image search facility that will happily show thousands of copyrighted images in it's results? Nope, i have no problems at all about using their images. None whatsoever!
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Right, you two. Before Steve had posted the last photo I eventually found one on Google Earth which showed the matching pillar on the other side of the road and which had the crowns that Mark referred to. Steve's pic. is of the one I photographed, that was last May, so I don't know what has happened to the crowns, maybe taken away for repair/repaint?
                This is at the Stationweg end of the Wilhelminabrug over the river Dommel, and the carvings are by Frans van der Burgt showing scenes from the history of den Bosch, or 's-Hertogenbosch, to give it its full name. I deleted small parts of the carvings because they showed dates and wording may have given too much of a clue! Here's the original photo:

But, hey, isn't that the strangest thing!!! I just went to my Dutch photos folder to upload and there was one of the structure taken 24 May, complete with crowns. I flicked through and found the one I had posted here, taken 1 June, without crowns. The den Bosch photos are still awaiting sorting ready for their thread on CVF, being in date order at the moment, and I'd taken the second one because there were no people at that spot as in the other.
                So, here is the crowned one:

Thijs located the town, but then went off to choose all his favourite pops, and at the moment he's driving presumably so won't have much chance to take the puzzle further.
                So, Mark, your turn, indeed.
                Last edited by wherrygirl; November 23rd, 2011, 15:00.
                Ivy

Comment

Yep - I was thinking that Thijs had won the booby prize of setting the next one too!!

Oh well - here's a simple one to tide us over. Of course these are all simple when you know where they are - but I think that this one is an unusual view of a internationally fairly well known one.

To make it even easier, I'll give you a clue - we're still in Europe.

Last edited by PoloUK; November 23rd, 2011, 21:08.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I have family that live just down the road from this place, that's if i am correct with thinking we are just a few miles from Devizes in Wiltshire. I think this is the famous Caen Hill locks on the Kennet and Avon canal? A flight of 29 locks that take raise the canal 237 feet in just under 2 miles.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Otherwise it would have been the highest waterfall in Wiltshire!
                      Ivy

Comment

Too easy!!

Yep - the magnificent Caen Hill, some 10 miles away from where I'm sitting at the centre of the PoloUK empire(!!??!). Remarkable to consider that this was more or less derelict before the huge movement to rebuild the canals in the UK during the 60s and 70s. Still takes some 3 to 4 hours to ascend or descend by narrowboat, and somewhat like Piccadilly Circus on August Bank Holiday Monday - great fun watching the hire boats trying to squeeze through the very narrow locks.

Some stunning views from the top - and a very, very good coffee shop too!!

Recommended as a very pleasant and gentle walk (or couple of walks) from Devizes along the K&A Canal footbath to the River Avon at Bath, passing through beautiful Bradford on Avon and over the Avoncliff viaduct before the gentle descent to the glories of Regency Bath.

Makes a nice change to be doing the tourist information bit for my bit of the world rather than Finnmark.

So - reckon that means it's Steve's go!!
                        Last edited by PoloUK; November 24th, 2011, 00:17.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I only guessed it so quickly because my daughter lived in West Lavington, and i remember someone mentioning something about a famous staircase of locks that were just up the road. A quick google of canals and locks in the Devizes area soon made me realise that it was the row of locks you featured. Even though my daughter now lives in Devizes i have never visited the locks, though looking on the map i realise i have unknowingly driven past them a few times. I will make a point of going to see them next year.

So, the burden of finding something suitable is back on me, lets have a go with this one.

Which place is this? And a bonus point for giving the name of the vessel the photo was taken from!

Photo credit: Eifion on Flickr. Creative commons licence.
                          Last edited by Steve.B; November 24th, 2011, 19:36.

Comment

Not Garth Pier, Bangor, Wales, is it? Doesn't quite fit, though.
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; November 24th, 2011, 18:16.
                            Ivy

Comment

Llandudno? The Balmoral?

I hope I'm wrong, I'm running out of pictures that I could use!!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, you're right, Mark, it's Llandudno, see http://www.engineering-timelines.com...tem.asp?id=384
                                And is the ferry boat The Lady of Mann?
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; November 24th, 2011, 19:03.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X