What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Go on, Mark, looks like you've got it. Take the plunge (mind the whale - it's a man-eater, that one.)
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Do you think it could be this one?

http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/models-an...ges/splashyng/
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Oh - and that whale - think it's splashyng about in there.
        Well i guess you are spot on Mark! Not only have you given us some very good clues to the location of this place, you have managed to name the precise part of this location!

Without a doubt you have got this one nailed very accurately indeed. This is indeed 'Splashyng', an area that is to be found within the fantastic Bekonscot Model Village and Railway, Beaconsfield in Buckinghamshire, between London and Oxford.

Take a trip around the village on one of the trains.

Solved in fantastic fashion Mark, well done, and how nice to have someone other than 'which place' regulars solving one of the puzzles. Over to you Sir!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Aahh - yes, should have realised that knowing the answer would have an unfortunate consequence.

So ... don't think this one is too difficult - in fact, I think it's pretty easy!!

Where is it? What is it? And ... what fictional role does the building play from time to time?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Without doubt this is a (former) railway station. The roof windows and the sattelite bowl are telling me, that it is used at least partly by private people nowadays. The anchor shows that it is situated in a port town. The size means, that we will have about 15.000 - 25.000 inhabitants in this town. The fictional role?? Movie or TV-series... ...so far. Anyone with more details?
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              Without doubt this is a (former) railway station. The roof windows and the sattelite bowl are telling me, that it is used at least partly by private people nowadays. The anchor shows that it is situated in a port town. The size means, that we will have about 15.000 - 25.000 inhabitants in this town. The fictional role?? Movie or TV-series... ...so far. Anyone with more details?
              The angle of the "Wok" indicate that it is quite far North (or South)

Comment

Hmmm - so far so good. The spirit of Sherlock Holmes is alive and well!!

Will give you a clue in a couple of days time, but reckon you'll get there first.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I had some ideas connecting the location to some well known movies but had no result so far. Is this movie/TV series international known? If not, i definetely need a clue.

Comment

I had some ideas connecting the location to some well known movies but had no result so far. Is this movie/TV series international known? If not, i definetely need a clue.
                    Hi - TV series. Sold across Europe and beyond. Related to extremely popular series of books.

Try a slidely wider angle view.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Eeeekkkk I knew I shouldn't have been tempted to log on here...99% sure I know the answer, but I'm going off on my travels ...I know, I'll pm Mark with my answer, and leave the puzzle open for the rest of you

Comment

Yep - Seagull knows exactly where it is!! Think it should be easier with the new picture in #1764.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I had decided on either an old customs house but quickly moved to a railway station. I now know the country and have found an old station with similar architecture but it's not the one in Mark's photo.
                          Press on.
                          Ivy

Comment

This is the Stationen Guest House, Ystad, Sweden. See http://www.bedandbreakfast.eu/bed-an...st-house/46381
                            Ivy

Comment

Aaaah O.K. and then it is "Inspector Wallander" which makes the place famous. Should have watched it from time to time, but didn't...

Well done, Ivy, in think PoloUK can confirm it and you are the next to post a puzzle...

Comment

Aaaah O.K. and then it is "Inspector Wallander" which makes the place famous. Should have watched it from time to time, but didn't...

Well done, Ivy, in think PoloUK can confirm it and you are the next to post a puzzle...
                                Yep - that's the one.

It is indeed a Bed and Breakfast, but it is still Ystad's station too - directly opposite the docks, with some nice big ferries coming in and out on their way to and from Poland.

In both the English (OK) and some of the Swedish (really good - in my opinion) series of Wallander, this was the 'body double' for the Police Station.

I rather like Ystad, but absolutely adore the villages on the Skåne coast - and the food, especially the fish, well .....

Well done Cecilia and Ivy - and fantastic detective work from Ralf and Ombugge too!

http://www.wallander.ystad.se/en/foo...en-the-station

I look forward to Ivy's puzzle - (oh, and is it the third grain of sand along, near the tideline, Lowestoft?)
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X