What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Two days and nobody have even asked a question yet.
    Looks very English, or maybe more Welsh, but I don't see any obvious clues here, except that the picture must have been taken from a tall structure. Maybe a Church Bell Tower or something?

For lack of anything better; could this be the famous Midsummer Village, the murder capital of the world??

Comment

Two days and nobody have even asked a question yet.
      Not even you.

Maybe no questions, oh impatient one, but that does not mean no thinking so as to narow down the area. I think the little cupola is maybe on a Town Hall type building. I'm also thinking Susse.x, with that broad alluvial plain which is probably at the mouth of a river. But not Cuckmere Haven.
      However, it's probably somewhere far removed from Susse.x.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This is Rye, Susse.x. Found a poor pic. of the same view but will search for a better one.
        Found a Flickr one - somewhat on the slosh! See http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosphere/4959313535/
        Last edited by wherrygirl; November 2nd, 2011, 14:01.
        Ivy

Comment

Very well done oh cleaver one!! Now let's see what you can offer in return.

Comment

I hope Steve is alright, I don't like posting the next puzzle without his "official permission", but I will put this one on. What is it and where is it?

Ivy

Comment

Sorry for not confirming you were correct with the last puzzle, Ivy. I went on an unexpected trip to see family. Thankfully i got back here yesterday long before that terrible accident on the motorway.

Well done on finding Rye, very nicely narrowed down to Susse,x to start with! I am not sure what the large building is in the centre of the first photo, have not been able to confirm that, but the photo you found was obviously taken from the same spot, a church tower i think.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

No, don't apologise, Steve, I just wondered if you were having a "down" time. Glad you were off gallivanting!
                Ivy

Comment

Could this be the ruins of the Athena temple at the Acropolis on Lidos:

Ruins are ruins and look the same at times, but those mountains in the background looks the same and is unchangeable.

Comment

Absolutly spot on, Ombugge. Yes, ruins are ruins, so I had hoped these would keep you all roaming about for a bit - bewildered. But for a man born amongst mountains, I should have known better! Well done, and quickly. Over to you now.
                    Ivy

Comment

My turn again.

Where in the world is this place and what is these buildings housing???

Comment

Some sort of holiday village complex? It sems to have two possibly private beaches and a central communal building. Nudist holidays - seems pretty isolated!
                        Ivy

Comment

This is the Empire Hotel and Country Club, Jerudong, Brunei Darussalam. Spa and golf. Presumably where Ombugge is hiding up? .
                          See http://www.theempirehotel.com/ and http://www.holidaycity.com/empire-co...awan/index.htm
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; November 9th, 2011, 01:37.
                          Ivy

Comment

Well done, Ivy, i was getting nowhere fast with this one. For some reason i had Burma in mind.
                            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                              This is the Empire Hotel and Country Club, Jerudong, Brunei Darussalam. Spa and golf. Presumably where Ombugge is hiding up? .
                              See http://www.theempirehotel.com/ and http://www.holidaycity.com/empire-co...awan/index.htm
                              You have done it again Ivy.
                              Yes it is a shot of Empire Hotel & Resort, taken from the plane window as we came in to land yesterday. And NO. I'm not staying there.

Back to you again.

Comment

Well, it was a long shot that paid off. It was either in Ombugge's neck of the woods or the Amazon jungle! I didn't think that Ombugge would choose it, but knowing that he was on his way or actually in Brunei Darussalam I thought - give it a try. So I just Googled the place, looked through some of the photos in the results and the hotel building was hidden amongst them. I couldn't believe my luck, because failing that I hadn't a clue.
                                Right, now my puzzle is to find the next one, my recent efforts have been too easy. What say I take a trip to Lowestoft and produce a blow-up of a grain of sand?
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; November 9th, 2011, 11:30.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X