Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Atvidaberg. See:

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4cb3ee...olar-cannon/en
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The puzzle is solved!!!!! .CONGRATULATIONS to wherrygirl!!!!!!

Well, this has been so enjoyable that I will put Åtvidaberg on the to do list for a little compilation of photos for the Sweden thread when I have a spare moment…inside the tower, a trip on the lake etc.
      By the way, do you remember Facit calculating machines? (I would have mentioned this as a further clue to the town if you had failed to find it)

Comment

No, Cecilia, I'm afraid I've not heard of the Facit calculators, even if the first 10 digit one was born the same year as me!
        But that was a very interesting quest. Thank you.

Now, try this one. What place is this window in?

Ivy

Comment

This is the memorial window for Bomber Command at Ely Cathedral:

In memory of those who served and died in the second world war.

Comment

I thought this one wouldn't last long! Well done, Ombugge.
            Ivy

Comment

Time for the next puzzle.

Where in the world may this be???

We are obviously in a warm part of the world, but which of the numerous Atolls in the world are we looking at in this GE capture?
              Last edited by ombugge; October 25th, 2011, 08:49. Reason: Replace better pics.

Comment

Are we somewhere at or near the French Polynesian islands?
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Are we somewhere at or near the French Polynesian islands?
                  Yes in that general area and ocean, but not French territory.

Comment

Is North to the top of the picture Ombugge?
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      Yes in that general area and ocean, but not French territory.
                      No, not French territory, New Zealand territory!

We are looking at a South Pacific island called Fakaofo. Formerly known as Bowditch island. Up until 1979 the USA claimed sovereignty over it. They then conceded that sovereignty rightfully belonged to New Zealand. Lots more information about this small island can be found on the Wiki page here.

Ombugge, you had me chasing all over the South pacific Ocean with that one. Starting at Tahiti i used the path tool on Google Earth to mark all my hop, skips and jumps from island to island. (the only way i could keep track of which islands i had already viewed). When i finally found this little island my path measured over 13.000 miles! That was a lot of island hopping i can tell you. But i found it in the end!
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Well done Steve. I hope you had an enjoyable trip visiting islands in the South Pacific.

I picked this one because of an anecdote about a celebrity of some sort who wanted to visit, but was told "to fakaofo".

Back to you Steve.

Comment

What an achievement, Steve, well done. I'd more or less given up.
                          Ivy

Comment

I actually quite enjoyed my little trip around the South Pacific, found lot's of little places that i have only really read about in books. The Pitcairn islands for example, i spotted them and thought back to when i learnt about them in school. The Bounty - Fletcher Christian, Capt Bligh and all that. i spotted a few little islands that rang distant bells in my mind. I certainly found it interesting, and i never realised just how many small islands are dotted around the Pacific, hundreds of them.

Ok, i will go and see what i can find this time.
                            Last edited by Steve.B; October 30th, 2011, 02:07.

Comment

That's whatr I find so fascinating about this thread, Steve. Because we are presented with something out of the blue we just have to start exploring, instead of keeping to places where we may have a specific interest. If only I can remember them I have learnt so many interesting things about places completely unknown to me.
                              Ivy

Comment

So i wonder where we will be going next? Let's try these. I shall give you two views of the same place, just to help you out a little.

Which place is this?

Photo credit - naturenet.net.

Photo credit - naturenet.net.
                                Last edited by Steve.B; November 5th, 2011, 14:15. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

Working...
                                X