What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

A quick look on G/E for a place along the Rhine that had a railway and a ferry........Linz!

Have a look at the picture on this link.

It was the first place i zoomed into, so i must be lucky this week. I must go and buy extra lottery tickets!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

well done Steve.Linz it is.

taken from a broshure from years ago when my parents made a lot of holyday trips.
      one of them was a rhine cruise.
      i believe they made just one rhine cruise and i was with them
      this was the original image.

with the name on the ferry that i painted away,in case it would be a help to solve this one
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post

with the name on the ferry that i painted away,in case it would be a help to solve this one
        I just had a search for "St Johannes", but i could not find anything obvious to link it to Linz, but i am sure some deeper searching would have got us there. I was surprised that Ralf did not beat me to this one, i had not even noticed the railway until he mentioned it. (How i missed it i do not know!).

Ok, not so many clue's in my next puzzle, so if it's not solved instantly i shall have to post some to help you along.

Which place is this?

Photo credit - Fenner1984's photostream on flickr
        Last edited by Steve.B; September 28th, 2011, 12:20. Reason: Adding photo credit.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Willy Lott's Cottage, Dedham Vale, Suffolk.
          It's one of those you either know instantly or haven't a clue, isn't it! Beautiful picture.
          John Constable, the painter, named it when he painted one of his most well-known pictures "The Hay Wain". Wiki gives some interesting information about the painting at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hay_Wain
          Last edited by wherrygirl; September 28th, 2011, 11:10.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            Willy Lott's Cottage, Dedham Vale, Suffolk.
            It's one of those you either know instantly or haven't a clue, isn't it! Beautiful picture.
            John Constable, the painter, named it when he painted one of his most well-known pictures "The Hay Wain". Wiki gives some interesting information about the painting at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hay_Wain
            Yes, i had a feeling this one would be either very easy, or somewhat much more difficult. Being that the photo was taken in your part of the country, Ivy, i knew i was pushing my luck!

When i first chose this photo for a puzzle i did not know how famous the location was, it was not until i done some research before posting the photo that i realised what i was looking at!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
              I just had a search for "St Johannes", but i could not find anything obvious to link it to Linz, but i am sure some deeper searching would have got us there. I was surprised that Ralf did not beat me to this one, i had not even noticed the railway until he mentioned it. (How i missed it i do not know!).
              ...i looked several times at Remagen and Linz, but was sure it wasn't the right place. Maybe because i was there by myself about 1982 and did not remember???
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                ...i looked several times at Remagen and Linz, but was sure it wasn't the right place. Maybe because i was there by myself about 1982 and did not remember???
                Funny how the mind can play tricks on you sometimes! But i guess i must have visited dozens of places in the distant past that i would not recognise in a photo. I guess we fix certain aspects of a place in our minds, and if we do not see those in a photo it is very easy to not recognise a place.

Comment

Wise words. We stopped there during a bicycle tour Stuttgart-Cologne-in-two-days (we:young and crazy) and were totally exhausted. So the most important thing i remember was the first Kölsch (typical beer from Cologne) in a pub near the famous rest of the Remagen bridge from WWII. We continued our tour much slower from then and stopped at each Italian ice-café later on our way to Cologne...

Comment

OK, come back down to earth from those happy reminiscences and try this one.

Ivy

Comment

Well, i think the sign tells us what we need to know.

Photo credit - immo we from the wiki page.

Comment

All right, lady, but is was again fun to go a little OT...

Now this is of course OTC Satellite Earth Station Carnarvon in Western Australia.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tm-tm/2635028032/

Comment

Aaaah you have beaten by by three minutes, Steve.

Now that is fine, up to you to find a new one!!!

Comment

Yes, i just sneaked in there Ralf! Now, like you say, i have to post another puzzle. Darn, 4 minutes later and you would have had to find something! Ok, i will go see what i can find.(dunno)

Comment

Sorry for my delay in posting, i have lots of family down for the weekend, i was going to throw it open for someone else to post a puzzle, but spotted this one and thought it might be worth a go.

Which Place Is This?

Photo credit Tarrant .B
                              Last edited by Steve.B; October 4th, 2011, 19:25. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

Is this All Saints Church, Godshill, IOW?

Later. Yes, I found some pics. on Flickr showing the famous Lily Cross wall painting in the church which that porch plaque shows. I say "famous", but must admit I did not previously know about it. How interesting.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; October 4th, 2011, 19:01.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X