What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Thanks, Steve. You've given us quite a few clues, but for me, at least, it is still wide open. Will keep trying, though I'm a bit pressed for time over the next 2/3 days. Any minute now Ralf or Ombugge are going to come up with it, I bet!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I believe this is the ruins of the Social Hall on Alcatraz Island, which was destroyed by fire during the Native American Occupation in 1969.
      Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_Island

Comment

Your not quite right Ombugge, but you are close enough! We are actually looking at the ruins of the Warden's house, it too was destroyed by fire during the native American protests. It was once a stunning 17 bed property, originally built for the Military commander of the island - much more of the islands history can be found on this site - The History of Alcatraz Island.

Though one thing i disagree with is how the island came to be named, i keep reading that Alcatraz is the Spanish for Pelican, but every translator i have used says that Alcatraz is the Spanish for 'Gannet'.

Well done for discovering we were on Alcatraz, the picture i chose was about the only one i could find that was not detected by the google search facility, probably because of the mist in the background.

Well, back over to you Ombugge!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Very interesting, this name business. Wiki gives the following very erudite explanation:
          The first Spaniard to document the island was Juan Manuel de Ayala in 1775, who charted San Francisco Bay and named the island "La Isla de los Alcatraces," which translates as "The Island of the Pelicans,"[4][5][6][7][8][9] from the archaic Spanish alcatraz, "pelican", a word which was borrowed originally from Arabic: القطرس al-qaṭrās, meaning sea eagle.
          I have a 1964 edition very large, comprehensive Spanish dictionary which gives alcatraz as pelican, then checking from the English it gave pelican = pelicano. Looking up gannet it gave bubia. And, yes, trying to check back from bubia there was no entry.
          How on earth do Spanish ornithologists know what they are talking about?

What we find out about things is as much fun as trying to ID the photo in the first place.
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            I had to laugh at your long list of glossy magazines who lap up all the royal news from everywhere. Surely you have more in Germany than we have here! I would never have thought that there was such an audience for it in Deutchsland. If I want to know how many corgis the Queen has at the moment, I'll ask you, Ralf.
            The first Royal corgi was bought in 1933 by King George VI. Soon there were more. The Queen grew up with these dogs and learned to love them. As a present to her 18th birthday she received a female corgi named Susan. The Quees has today corgies in 10th generation, all descending from Susan. The actual corgies are named Phoenix, Kelpie and Swift, the newest is Emma.

Beside these she is raising a mixture of corgies and basset hounds, at the moment she has four of them: Harris, Brandy, Cider und Berry.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf, you're great. (But I already knew that!). Many thanks for that invaluable Royal Corgi history. I'll make a note of it - it may come up in a quiz one day!
              Ivy

Comment

WHERE IN THE WIDE WORLD IS THIS:

And who is honoured by this monument?
                Last edited by ombugge; September 13th, 2011, 00:02.

Comment

>> Paa Slinningen ved Aalesund staar der en støtte med følgende inskription: “Klaus Nilsen, handelsmand paa Slinningen, som i aaret 1685 indførte i Norge bruken av torskegarn”. <<

...this is what i found. But i found no picture. So for me it is not possible to nail the very exact place. But the person should be Klaus Nilsen and he was from Slinningen and there is the monument. Is that correct so far??

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    >> Paa Slinningen ved Aalesund staar der en støtte med følgende inskription: “Klaus Nilsen, handelsmand paa Slinningen, som i aaret 1685 indførte i Norge bruken av torskegarn”. <<

...this is what i found. But i found no picture. So for me it is not possible to nail the very exact place. But the person should be Klaus Nilsen and he was from Slinningen and there is the monument. Is that correct so far??
                    So far so good, but where is Slinningen??

Comment

Slinningen is South of Alesund:

6006 Slinningen, Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal, Norge

On Google Earth you can imagine to have some nice views from there to the city.

Comment

Slinningen is South of Alesund:

6006 Slinningen, Ålesund, Møre og Romsdal, Norge

On Google Earth you can imagine to have some nice views from there to the city.
                        And the other way around. This is Slinningen, or more specifically, Slinningsodden as seen from town:

The monument is next to the small house just behind the large building at the very tip, which has been featured by Sterkoder earlier.
                        Here is another view of the monument:

The large building is probably beyond salvation:

Sorry, OT again.
                        Last edited by ombugge; September 13th, 2011, 19:02.

Comment

That is not OT. It is so interesting to see the background and surrounding of a puzzle.

Here is one i took by myself. Where is it and which landscape do we see in the background? Please name a town, a river or a mountain...

Comment

no idea Ralf, i think it would be easier to guess the name of the swimmer

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

...haha that's worth a try!! I will give you some bonus points!

Comment

...haha that's worth a try!! I will give you some bonus points!
                                A wild wild guess He could be German, and i had a penpal from Stuttgart named Hans !!!!!!! so thats the only German name i know probably wrong

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Working...
                                X