What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Since I'm stuck and getting bored in an Airport with internet connection I'll try my luck here.

They appears to be blowing glass, but in a very small scale. My wild guess is that they make "glass eyes".
    Where in UK? I have no idea.

Joke aside, I think we are looking at revived production of Bristol Blue Glass:
    "Today, there are two Bristol Blue Glass companies in the Bristol area: Bristol Blue Glass (SW) in Bedminster and Bristol Blue Glass in Brislington"

How is that?

PS> Is Glass Eyes actually made of glass today???
    Last edited by ombugge; September 3rd, 2011, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      Steve, I began to wonder if all was well with you, glad to see you back here.
      Yes, you're obviously more or less there, but I'm now a little worried about it. Obviously I know where it is as it is my photo, and I'll say this - it was in a most unexpected place and I was puzzled as to why it seemed to be just a little back street workshop. After I'd posted it last night I did a quick Google and was left feeling a bit guilty as I wasn't sure about what clue to give if needed. To be honest, I hadn't realised that there was more than one company involved. It was one of those things that you imagine you've always known, where you think "Oh yes, the ......... company, they make ....... " and you think that is it. There is a massive clue which would pinpoint the exact location, and I need to do more research to try and establish the whereabouts of the others, so as to formulate clue wording.

This is now turning out to be a puzzle for me as well as anyone else! Eek!
      Yes, there is more to this puzzle than you first thought, Ivy. I learned very quickly what was being made in the photo - Bristol blue glass, though i will admit i had not heard of that before, but a quick search of 'famous blue glass' soon told me. I was about to post an answer - Bristol blue glass, being made in Bristol, but i thought i would narrow it down to where exactly in Bristol. That's where it soon became obvious that this was not going to be the quick 'open and shut' case like i first thought. I soon realised there were two big players, plus maybe a few other small companies. So not so easy after all, a bit like trying to identify a Cornish Pasty maker in Cornwall! Though thankfully the area is not so big, and much fewer bakers to choose from.

I have looked at the 'History' pages on both of the main players websites, sadly they make no mention about any early premises they may have occupied. But i did learn that one started to reproduce the glass in the late eighties, and the other a little later in the nineties.

Now i am presuming that the writing on the blue shirts that are being worn in your photo says 'Bristol blue glass'? Very hard to tell because of the creases. But i think i can safely say that the writing does not end with 'SW', so that swung me towards this company being the one based in Brislington, rather than the Bedminster one which finishes with SW. But, maybe even that is not so simple. Looking on their websites i see that Bristol Blue Glass (SW) is the company that started in the 1980's, whereas Bristol Blue Glass started later in the 1990's. So why on earth does the earlier company have the (SW) after it's name? One would have thought that the second company on the scene would have been the one forced to add something else to the name. So i am wondering if they both simply started out calling themselves Bristol Blue Glass, and then at a later date it became necessary for legal reasons to make a distinction between the two?

Anyway, at this moment in time i have not managed to work out which company your photo shows, and thus i cannot yet say what the exact location is. Like i say, going by what i think is written on the clothing, my first guess would be the Brislington company, but for reasons stated above i cannot say that with certainty. But then of course, it may not be one of the big two companies at all, it could be one of the smaller players in the glass game in the Bristol area. I shall have to delve deeper!

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Joke aside, I think we are looking at revived production of Bristol Blue Glass:
      "Today, there are two Bristol Blue Glass companies in the Bristol area: Bristol Blue Glass (SW) in Bedminster and Bristol Blue Glass in Brislington"

How is that?
      These were my first thoughts last night Ombugge, but i soon realised it's not going to be so simple. And i have a feeling Ivy's realised she may have opened a rather big can of worms!

Steve, I began to wonder if all was well with you, glad to see you back here.
      Don't you worry, Ivy, I have been here lurking in the shadows! Watching with amusement whilst Ralf unintentionally dropped himself in it! I have looked at previous puzzles, but have had no luck at all. My condition does tend to vary a lot, and with the up's and downs i have to adjust my medication. The more i have to take the less well i can concentrate, thus you do not hear too much from me sometimes. But sometimes a good puzzle is just what the doctor ordered to cut through the drug induced fuzz!
      Last edited by Steve.B; September 3rd, 2011, 13:47.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Well, I've just finished another hunt and can find no information on the site where the above photo was taken. Obviously it either belonged to one of the two present companies who later moved it elsewhere, or else it was a very small outfit that eventually closed down. What you see in the photograph is more or less the extent of the workshop area, though there was no doubt a small office, rest room etc opening off it.
        What I can say now is that the surprise at finding the workshop was because it was adjacent to the SS Great Britain. I had taken the Bung. Society there to see the ship and afterwards one of the group said there was the Blue Glass place a few yards away. So we all trooped down there and were treated to a grandstand view of the blowing. If I remember there were just three young people working there. The photo was taken in Oct. 1999
        Steve, you obviously found that it was Blue Glass and in Bristol, so although you didn't actually mention it by name I'm sure Ombugge will agree that you were first on the ball there. So if you're feeling like it, the next puzzle is yours.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Something playing up! Duplicate post deleted.

But I can use this spot to say that I'm glad you are up to lurking sometimes Steve, those wretched times when you are low. It's good to know that you're probably around here somewhere.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; September 3rd, 2011, 23:17.
          Ivy

Comment

Ok, I can now confirm which of the two companies this puzzle involves. It is the one now based in Brislington - Bristol blue Glass. But i do not think that Brislington was the location of Ivy's photo, that must have been taken at one of the companies earlier premises, possibly in the Colston Yard area of Bristol town centre.

So i have confirmed the exact company, and i can confirm the writing on the blue shirts does indeed say 'Bristol blue Glass'. This one was solved by looking through some videos on YouTube. A quick search on there soon led me to discover a short 3 part documentary that covers both a brief history of glass and Bristols connection with it, and the birth of the company in question.

The first video mainly relates to the history of Bristols glass connections, but towards the end of the video you learn how the present company came to be. The following two videos concentrate on how the company grew. At about 7 minutes into the second video you get a section of video that clearly shows the location featured in Ivy's puzzle.

Bristol blue Glass - videos 1-3.

Cannot embed the videos because they are linked, play the first one and the rest will automatically play after.

Does this satisfactorily solve your puzzle, Ivy?
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Sorry Ivy, you posted whilst i was writing mine. But from what you say about being near the S.S Great Britain, then it is obvious that your photos location was not Colston Yard like i thought earlier. Colston Yard is at least 1/2 a mile from the S.S Great Britain, and on the other side of the river. So they must have moved from Colston yard to the place where you found them. I did not find any mention of that particular location.

EDIT: With your information regarding location, Ivy, i have just read this on an old website regarding a visit to the S.S Great Britain.

The S.S Great Britain Maritime Heritage Centre has information about Bristol shipbuilding and Bristol docks from the last 200 years. Brunel's ss Great Britain is based here and was built in Britain by the famous engineer Isambard Brunel. She worked for nearly 100 years, travelled over a million miles and had a huge impact on world travel, engineering and shipbuilding. There is also a nautical gift shop and a coffee shop, and you can watch Bristol Blue Glass being blown and hand made in the workshop on the dockside.
              An old review i think. And if you look at the area on google street maps (street view), you will see that the whole of the dockyard area seems to be undergoing a major redevelopment, so the building in your photo may no longer be there.

But i also just have to add that i found the videos very interesting, such fantastic skill. Wonderful to see the delicate work taking place. I bet watching the later part of the second video brought back memories of your visit Ivy? I should imagine that the guys you watched feature in the video. Again, fascinating where this thread leads us sometimes!
              Last edited by Steve.B; September 4th, 2011, 00:12.

Comment

Just one last thing to add concerning this puzzle. Here is an artist impression of what the new development of the dockyard surrounding the S.S Great Britain will look like when finished. Could one of these buildings be the location of the glass studio you visited i wonder?

Comment

Steve, this has turned out to be fascinating. I watched bits of some of the videos before your later posts, but did not persevere as you have done. I have now watched that second one and, yes, at 7.05 mins. it does show the actual workshop in my photo. The view is from a slightly different angle, of course, but by examining top left of the video at that point it is clearly the same, even down to the old bit of corrugated iron! The only difference is the chimney on the main heating chamber. The video was excellent, wasn't it, showing the close-ups of the whole procedure. How lucky that you found that old website, too.
                  I was not expecting a specific location when I first posted, Bristol would have been sufficient, and was holding back the ship as a clue when people had wearied of searching the country!
                  Interesting to see the artist's impression, too. Yes, the old workshop was certainly down there, but was a decrepit old shed even from the outside. Which was what puzzled me when I was there.
                  Steve, I know we've praised this thread many times before, but it really is a winner. If only the memory banks can retain it all, I've learnt so much. Thank you.
                  Ivy

Comment

This thread being so interesting is not down to me, it's down to all the fantastic puzzles that you have all posted over the last year or two. I for one certainly never expected for this thread to take off like it did, i have just looked at the figures for this thread and i was surprised to see that so far there's been 1.612 replies, and over 43.000 views! I guess we are doing something right here.

Anyway, just spent an hour or two looking for something suitable, how about this one?, not much to go on, so i will be happy to chuck in a clue or two. For starters i can tell you that you should look for an island location for this one, and no, forget the Isle of Wight - this island is somewhat smaller than the IOW.

Which Place is This?

Credit for this image belongs to Fenners1984 from Flickr
                    Last edited by Steve.B; September 8th, 2011, 01:30.

Comment

Aye the Royals with their blue blood and destined to rule: Like religion, they were invented thousands of years ago and have out-lived their uselfulness.
                      Put them in a museum, or put them to work: Modern folks elect their leaders and fire them if useless.

I know, nobody asked my opinion, but it popped up anyway...:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                        Anyway, just spent an hour or two looking for something suitable, how about this one?, not much to go on, so i will be happy to chuck in a clue or two. For starters i can tell you that you should look for an island location for this one, and no, forget the Isle of Wight - this island is somewhat smaller than the IOW.
                        In the British Isles? Over 6,000 of them,according to Wiki! Oh heck!
                        Ivy

Comment

No, we are not in the British Isles with this one Ivy. Look on the bright side, that's over 6,000 islands less to look at!

Comment

Perhaps a historic site at an ancient island port - European? The building seems to have remains of so-called Dutch gables left, part of it has fallen down the cliff and more looks likely to follow!
                            Ivy

Comment

Perhaps a historic site at an ancient island port - European? The building seems to have remains of so-called Dutch gables left, part of it has fallen down the cliff and more looks likely to follow!
                              This is certainly an historic site, but not an ancient island port. The island is not in Europe, but was named by a European explorer. The name came from a certain type of wildlife, presumably found to be on the island by the explorer.

EDIT: I see no harm in letting you know that the explorer was a Spaniard. (But not one of the most famous ones).
                              Last edited by Steve.B; September 5th, 2011, 13:32. Reason: Adding nationality of the explorer.

Comment

A little more information for you all.

I have tried my hardest to find a photo of this building in it's original condition, but have not found any at all. In this case that is rather understandable. By all accounts this was once a rather grand residence. A military commander once lived here. And in later years another person in a position of authority on the island resided there. A major fire and large storms are responsible for the condition of the building today.

Comment

Working...
                                X