• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I think, i found it: Royal Yacht Club, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royal-p...in/photostream

Please confirm...
    Last edited by Ralf__; August 30th, 2011, 15:30.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Very well done, Ralf, you've got it.

May I raise a tiny protest, though? Ombugge, you said our Queen was once head of state, as I mentioned above. But see the following:
      a) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea last para. of the opening section. "It remains a Commonwealth realm of Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen of Papua New Guinea."
      and: from the Politics section, first sentence. "As a Commonwealth realm, Papua New Guinea's head of state is Queen Elizabeth II."

b) see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...es/1246074.stm under Leaders. "Head of state: Queen Elizabeth II, represented by a Governor-General."

Mind you, perhaps things have changed since 8 August 2011

So again, I discounted it. But good for Ralf, who forged ahead regardless.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; August 30th, 2011, 17:28.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well i was not so much regarding the complicated details of the British Commonwealth, for me as a German Royals are just the employers of the yellow press. I was more interested in the combination of British, Australian AND German influences, so that was the right clue.

Well, try the next one... i checked it by Google picture search and i also tried to erase the date the picture was taken, so who has the first idea:

Comment

Oooops!!! I stand corrected and very sorry if that put you off looking at PNG.
          My lead was really towards the fact that I had posted quite extensively from the Royal Papua Yacht Club on a few weeks ago, with pictures of the Club House, Marina and the surroundings.

I was of the impression that Michael Somares had been the President all these years, but he was the Prime Minister. (Until 2010)
          Usually the Queen will be on the paper money or coins in countries for which she is the Head of State, but not so for PNG, at least not on the present Kina and Toea coins. Somares is on the 50K bills, however.

Comment

Eiffel Tower in Paris???

Comment

UUUHHH!! I had the feeling that this could be very easy.... at least the colour is very special and unique....

It is not easy to find pictures which can't be found via Google picture search. My choice then is very limited...

Of course you are right!! Over to you again.

Comment

We posted together on this one. When I submitted my reply you had already posted your next puzzle 3 minute before. I replied immediately and without hesitation.

I defer to Wherrygirl on this as I wrong footed her on the last one.

Besides, I will be travelling the next two weeks and may not be able to answer any queries, or give any hints. I don't know the quality of Internet connection in the country I'm going to. Some of these "backward countries" may not be wired properly. (Reverting when known)

PS> Keep it going for a week two and I may be able to participate.
                Last edited by ombugge; August 31st, 2011, 17:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  for me as a German Royals are just the employers of the yellow press.
                  Uncalled for. ...................
                  Ivy

Comment

Yep. Maybe it is the wrong forum, as most of you have Royals as their..... how do you call it? Representant, Head of State....??
                    What is a Queen or a King? Like a president, a leader, the head of the army or marine?
                    Do you want to go a little bit OT, since Ombugge is travelling?

Comment

I will answer, my friend, but right now I am in a rush - nothing unusual! Also, remember that our Steve will probably be more interested in waiting for my next puzzle picture (as Ombugge has kindly handed the baton to me). While I'm here, though, referring back to that last one - my reason for paying great attention to whether or not the British Queen was still head of state was, I would have thought, obvious.
                      I picked up on the fact that Ombugge said that it had never been a British Colony but that the Queen had once been the head of state indirectly, because that helped to narrow the field as it sounded unusual. I immediately thought of Australia having had a connection which would confirm the British Queen's "indirectly" factor. Ombugge confirmed that. There was a German connection of various kinds applicable to so many places that, while bearing that in mind, I felt that this business of the Queen no longer being head was my vital clue. So I was looking for somewhere German, Australian, and British once but no longer.
                      There, I said I was in a rush. Even more so now.
                      Signing off, back later. But I do not intend to go OT on a pro/anti Royalist discussion - merely to answer this very strange assertion, unsupported by evidence, that the Queen employs the yellow press.
                      Ivy

Comment

Wow, i am surprised that i hit such a sensitive point. That was not my intention.

I did some research for the word yellow press and found out that there is a difference in the english definition of the word and the German origin "Regenbogenpresse". This shall be translated into "yellow press", if you look at the dictionaries. So i also learned it at school.

"Regenbogenpresse" means in Germany especially these colourful magazines, mostly seen in hairdresser saloons, which are reporting about the dinner of the Spanish Princess, the dogs of the Queen and similar important, world moving happenings. These magazines would be in fact lost, if all Royals would be dismissed by their citizens.

But "Yellow press" in English inculdes also sensational newspapers like "Sun", "Daily Mirror" and so on, where they declare total war each time when England has a football match versus Germany... I did not intend to draw the Royals in that mud, I am sorry!

So in Germany we are smiling about the breaking news, because we don't really know much about the duties and assignments of the Royals in Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Norway, Sweden etc. All these newspapers are reporting about their new clothes, which disco they visited and where they will spend winter vacation, but no one is reporting about their work. There is quite a lot of them like:
                        Avanti, Bild der Frau, Das Goldene Blatt, Das Neue, Das Neue Blatt, Die Aktuelle, Die Neue Frau, Echo der Frau, Frau aktuell, Frau im Spiegel, Frau mit Herz, Freizeit Revue, Freizeit Woche, Gala, Glückspost, Glücks-Revue,
                        Heim & Welt, InTouch, mach mal Pause, Mini, Neue Post, Neue Welt, Neue Woche, Schöne Woche, Schweizer Illustrierte, Viel Spaß, Welt der Frau, Woche der Frau

Maybe i am ignorant and a complete idiot, but why do we have such a newspaper variety which could not exist without Royalty "news"???

And why do we know so less about their WORK??

Comment

No, you didn't hit a particularly sensitive spot, Ralf. Rather, it is that it gets my goat when someone makes one sweeping statement damning something out of sheer prejudice and having no basis in fact, which is what you seemed to be doing. I had never heard the expression "yellow press", but like you, did some research and found that it appears to be an American description of what in England we call the gutter press, for the obvious reason that all they are interested in is scraping around for dirt and scandal - good for the circulation figures!
                          So when you remarked that the Royals are employers of the yellow press, I thought you were probably saying that it is their antics that keep the press in circulation. You asked what is a Queen or King. Of the possible comparisons you gave, the one big difference is that of how they get to their position and the length of tenure. The Royals are not elected, nor do they rise through the ranks to reach the top and it is this that gets under the skin of many anti-Royalists, and there are many in this country. So they bleat on about the Royals living off the fat of the land, of having everything, and what good are they, etc. etc.
                          I can speak only of our Queen, but she is no mere figurehead. I remember her coronation, when as an idealistic young girl, she pledged herself to serve her country. I'm six years younger than she is, but even then I remember thinking to myself "May God help you!" And she has done her damnest to carry out that pledge ever since. She has lived through the "reign" of many Prime Ministers and it is well known they have learnt to respect her shrewd understanding of politics and government as well as her impressive knowledge of matters relating not only to this country but also much of the rest of the world. Her "comments" during the weekly audiences have proved invaluable, according to many accounts of PM's long after they relinquished their post. This, surely, is a most valuable asset for any country to have recourse to. What price the swift rise and fall of Presidents, Prime Ministers, captains of this and that?
                          Another one whose work we hear practically nothing of is Princess Anne, the Queen's daughter. I admire her. She cares nothing for the press, swears at them when they get in her way, is very much her own woman and doesn't care two hoots for anything or anybody. But do you hear about her charitable work, particularly the Save the Children Fund? Very, very rarely.
                          But the gutter press want none of this. They are after the scandal, the broken marriages, the affairs, anything that they can make a splash with.
                          I had to laugh at your long list of glossy magazines who lap up all the royal news from everywhere. Surely you have more in Germany than we have here! I would never have thought that there was such an audience for it in Deutchsland. If I want to know how many corgis the Queen has at the moment, I'll ask you, Ralf.
                          As to why you and I rarely read anything about any Royal's work, well, that dull stuff never sells, does it? And I don't buy glossy mags., so maybe I'm missing out!
                          Now, I'm going to scan in an old photo and post it for the next puzzle. Let's hope it is not too obscure in what it shows.
                          By the way, I've torn up my reminder to beat you up next summer.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; September 2nd, 2011, 23:15.
                          Ivy

Comment

Where is this and what is being made. i.e. what is its trade name?

Ivy

Comment

About time i had a go at this lark!

Ok Ivy, i think i could answer this one straight away, but in doing so i would be giving you the simple answer - that's if my guess is correct of course. But i feel this puzzle warrants more than just a straight forward place name and trade name of the product. I say this for a couple of reasons, the first, i believe there are two main companies producing this product - both in the same part of the country. (Though i also believe there may be several smaller companies that also produce this product in the same general area). I think we need to say which company is shown in your photo. I also think we should also try and identify the premises in your photo, because if your photo shows one of the two main companies, then i have a feeling it must have been one of their earlier premises, maybe this building was knocked down to make way for the newer premises, or maybe the company concerned moved to a new site.

So for those reasons i will not say anything yet, but going on what i have said, do you feel i am in the right area?
                              Last edited by Steve.B; September 3rd, 2011, 02:03.
                              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve, I began to wonder if all was well with you, glad to see you back here.
                                Yes, you're obviously more or less there, but I'm now a little worried about it. Obviously I know where it is as it is my photo, and I'll say this - it was in a most unexpected place and I was puzzled as to why it seemed to be just a little back street workshop. After I'd posted it last night I did a quick Google and was left feeling a bit guilty as I wasn't sure about what clue to give if needed. To be honest, I hadn't realised that there was more than one company involved. It was one of those things that you imagine you've always known, where you think "Oh yes, the ......... company, they make ....... " and you think that is it. There is a massive clue which would pinpoint the exact location, and I need to do more research to try and establish the whereabouts of the others, so as to formulate clue wording.

This is now turning out to be a puzzle for me as well as anyone else! Eek!
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X