What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Yes, Ralf, it is inside a cathedral in an English speaking country. OK so far.

PS After posting the above, I noticed that my photo was not displaying apart from a very narrow strip at the top. Tried re-posting the same URl, no good, so have re-uploaded it. I used Picturepush for this, hope it stays put.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; August 19th, 2011, 19:47.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This is the new Coventry Cathedral, with the ruins of the old cathedral (bombed during WWII) showing through the window wall.

Glass etchings were the clue, but NOT solved by using the new Google technique, only the good old Google Search slog.

Edith: This should be proof positive:
      Last edited by ombugge; August 20th, 2011, 06:04.

Comment

Here is the next puzzle.

Where is this areal photo taken:

Which town and Marina?

Comment

I have not a clue where to start on this one. Just when I think I can see which way the cars are driving, one or two seem to be going backwards.
          But let's agree to avoid the new Google picture matching service and keep to our old way, for it was really taxing (infuriatingly so at times) but at the same time interesting and a great challenge.
          Leading question - is it left-hand drive country?
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            I have not a clue where to start on this one. Just when I think I can see which way the cars are driving, one or two seem to be going backwards.
            But let's agree to avoid the new Google picture matching service and keep to our old way, for it was really taxing (infuriatingly so at times) but at the same time interesting and a great challenge.
            Leading question - is it left-hand drive country?
            They do drive on the Left side of the road (steering wheel on the right) in general, at least in the towns and on good roads.
            But it has never been a British Colony, although the Queen was once their "Head of State". (Indirectly)

Comment

How new is the place? I have a certain guess, but the Google Earth picture of that area is dated 2007. Can i see it on Google Earth?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                How new is the place? I have a certain guess, but the Google Earth picture of that area is dated 2007. Can i see it on Google Earth?
                Yes you can, at least on the version of GE that I have.

Comment

Pity, i thought it might be in Brunei, Darussalam.. Hmmm, let's proceed.
                  Is there anything typical in the picture which might lead to the solution? I can't find anything special.
                  Last edited by Ralf__; August 23rd, 2011, 16:39.

Comment

Pity, i thought it might be in Brunei, Darussalam.. Hmmm, let's proceed.
                    Is there anything typical in the picture which might lead to the solution? I can't find anything special.
                    Well, maybe not too many features on the picture, but your reasoning that lead you to think of Brunei Darussalam and the clues I have given in text should lead you there. There is even a German connection.
                    Last edited by ombugge; August 25th, 2011, 16:38.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but is the island of Nauru a possibility, or any other islands administered by Australia in some form at some time?
                      Ivy

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but is the island of Nauru a possibility, or any other islands administered by Australia in some form at some time?
                        Not Nauru, but you are right on the rest.

Comment

So we have an English, an Australian and even a German connection.
                          Therefore i checked North-East New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, but i couldn't find the place. Am i still in the wrong area??

Comment

So we have an English, an Australian and even a German connection.
                            Therefore i checked North-East New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, but i couldn't find the place. Am i still in the wrong area??
                            You are getting closer. Which Town and which Marina???

Comment

I discounted the Solomon Islands as Ombugge said that our Queen was "once head of state", whereas although they gained independance in 1971 according to Wiki, they retained the monarchy. So where do we go now? I've been through the various islands which were once administered by Australia in one way or another which gave me the British Queen connection and found islands which had a German connection, but nothing seemed quite to fit.
                              Eee-ee, this is a good one!
                              Ivy

Comment

I discounted the Solomon Islands as Ombugge said that our Queen was "once head of state", whereas although they gained independance in 1971 according to Wiki, they retained the monarchy. So where do we go now? I've been through the various islands which were once administered by Australia in one way or another which gave me the British Queen connection and found islands which had a German connection, but nothing seemed quite to fit.
                                Eee-ee, this is a good one!
                                The solution is closer than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X