Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Oh, well done, Steve. Really well done. The Potato-Eaters was painted while he was living with his parents here in Nuenen, and his father was the pastor at this little church.
    OK, what will you come up with for us now???
    Thank you, Ivy. I enjoyed solving that one.

This time around i have had the time to find a puzzle for you all - not an easy task these days when you do not have a lot of your own photos to call on. Finding one that is allowed to be used, plus one that google cannot find is a mission in itself! But i have found one that fits the bill.

Which Place is This?

All credit for this photo belongs to Fenners1984, from flickr. With a special guest appearance by Seagull.
    Last edited by Steve.B; August 13th, 2011, 12:45. Reason: Adding photo credit.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Presumably it's one of the red dots on this map, but which.

Map from the websides of "Shipwrecked Mariners' Society"
      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Well i never realised there was a map of the red collection mines! And of course Oistein, it is on the map. Shall see how long it takes to track it down!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Ombugge, yupela no save nam bilong pikpik? Alasayu.
          Mipela no hap intanet long Lihir. Nau Ela Beach, POM. Kambak Singapore tumaro. Tok Pisin bihain.

Comment

I think we are in Plymouth, Devon, UK.??

Comment

No, sorry Ombugge, we are not in Plymouth, neither are we in Devon.

Comment

Seagull surveys the situation.

I think i will have to ban one of our members from guessing this puzzle, it would seem that she's been spying on us!

All credit for this photo belongs to Fenners1984, from flickr. With a special guest appearance by Seagull.
                Last edited by Steve.B; August 13th, 2011, 12:46. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

Re: Seagull surveys the situation.

I think we are at the Town Quay in Fowey, Cornwall.
                  Link:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uk_-_47111.jpg

It took some time before I realized that the Church Tower in the background was not a clue. They are a "dime a dozen" if I may put it a bit crudely.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                    I think i will have to ban one of our members from guessing this puzzle, it would seem that she's been spying on us!
                    Well spotted Steve!!!! LOVE IT!!! First thing I saw this morning, and what a great laugh to start the day!

In actual fact though, that Seagull probably came to apologise to you guys for not participating very much in this thread lately (or the Hurtigruten one either)…Just so much to do, even within CVF itself. Especially with our Captain’s current work schedule I do try to comment on peoples posts as he would, and then there’s that daily photo to do…and it is unbelievable how much time that takes up one way or another…so the result is I’ve left you hanging around in Greenland, Thailand, aboard Discovery and various hurtigrutes, along the Kiel canal, in Kristiansund and Trondheim, and other unfinished threads…

The first casualties to the slow process of catching up are the time-consuming quiz threads, much as I enjoy them…

Well, in a way I’ve just achieved some catching up right here this morning, as I’ve been meaning to apologise for a while!…now that’s PROGRESS!!!!!!!

Oh, and Congratulations Ombugge!

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      I think we are at the Town Quay in Fowey, Cornwall.
                      Link:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uk_-_47111.jpg

It took some time before I realized that the Church Tower in the background was not a clue. They are a "dime a dozen" if I may put it a bit crudely.
                      Well done Ombugge, Fowey it is, one of the many lovely places to be found tucked away on the southern Cornish coast. That design of church tower is indeed popular, especially in the West Country, so no surprise that it did not help you. Fowey is another harbour that i spent time in whilst working, lovely to wake up in the morning in such surroundings, jumping in the rescue boat to go and get the morning paper to read over breakfast. Again i only wish i had taken my camera on more of my trips.

Anyway, once again it's back to you Ombugge!

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      Well spotted Steve!!!! LOVE IT!!! First thing I saw this morning, and what a great laugh to start the day!

In actual fact though, that Seagull probably came to apologise to you guys for not participating very much in this thread lately (or the Hurtigruten one either)…Just so much to do, even within CVF itself. Especially with our Captain’s current work schedule I do try to comment on peoples posts as he would, and then there’s that daily photo to do…and it is unbelievable how much time that takes up one way or another…so the result is I’ve left you hanging around in Greenland, Thailand, aboard Discovery and various hurtigrutes, along the Kiel canal, in Kristiansund and Trondheim, and other unfinished threads…

The first casualties to the slow process of catching up are the time-consuming quiz threads, much as I enjoy them…

Well, in a way I’ve just achieved some catching up right here this morning, as I’ve been meaning to apologise for a while!…now that’s PROGRESS!!!!!!!

Oh, and Congratulations Ombugge!
                      I only spotted you perched up there last night Cecilia, i reckon you were checking the place out to see if it would be a suitable candidate for a puzzle in this thread!

No need to apologise for your absence, this thread can be time consuming sometimes, and you have certainly had your hands full elsewhere. I am also guilty to of not participating has much as i would like to recently on the forum in general. But with autumn approaching at an alarming rate i am sure that will soon change.

Comment

Thanks Steve.
                        Here is the next puzzle.
                        Where in the world are we now???

This should not take too long, especially if the new found Google technique should be able to pick some of the more well known features of this town.

Comment

This is the view from Penang Hill, Malaysia. See http://adrianhoe.com/adrianhoe/image.../IMG_3171s.JPG
                          But there is no fun in doing it this way. I had much rather puzzle over the picture trying to extract clues as to what part of the world it may be, then narrowing it down, etc.....
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; August 13th, 2011, 16:25.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

You are too right. I didn't check if Google would catch this one, which I assume it did??

Well, in any case now it is all yours. I will be incommunicado for a few days as I will have to leave my laptop, camera and even handphone at home for my next assignment. All very James Bond.

Comment

I'm so sorry I've been an age posting this next puzzle. I've not tried Googling it but here goes:

Last edited by wherrygirl; August 19th, 2011, 19:44.
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I will not use the picture search on Google earth, but each one feel free to do so. We are inside a cathedral (or at least in the lobby or something similar). And it is an an English spoken country. I will try to find out, if the figures in the windors are spcial for a catholic place...

I will pop in again on Monday...
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X