Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: What place is this?

    Is it the Haifische Bar, Altona-Altstadt?

    Later, no it's not, it's the Schellfisch Posten. See photo here
    Last edited by wherrygirl; July 19th, 2011, 23:36.
    Ivy

    "To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

    Comment


      Re: What place is this?

      Well done, Ivy!

      The puzzle photo shows the instruments under the ceiling of the pub. The pub has only three tables (plus a higher one at the bar) and the middle table is removed, when a band plays music there. There is also a piano. Each instrument is fixed with a rope and can be lowered, if needed for a jam session.

      The location was in former days the waiting room for a tramway, which took the harbour workers back to the town. Later on they offered drinks and food there and so it became a pub for harbour workers and seamen. It is now the oldest seamen pub of Hamburg. The walls are full of souvenirs and ship pictures brought in by the guests. You can see more pictures of the pub on the homepage, check out the "Galerie" and have a look at the high-water pictures!

      http://www.schellfischposten.de/Home/home.html

      The place has become very famous, because it is the location of my favourite, award-winning, great music- and talk show in the German TV, "Ina's Nacht". It is absolutely stunning, how they are producing a crowded TV show in such a small room, which is actually much smaller than it looks in TV. We had a breakfast there, to see this place in real. Here are some Youtube clips:

      Tina Dico performing:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMat6dqM298

      I saw them live in Stuttgart, great fun: The Popolskis
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYl4FmrCi5E

      "Making of" with many impressions.:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SabnB-VpLFM

      So over to you Ivy!!
      Last edited by Ralf__; July 20th, 2011, 10:32.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

      Comment


        Re: What place is this?

        Well Ralf, Ombugge and Steve had already fastened on Hamburg and then you practically led us by the nose to this one! All I did was Google Altona-Altstadt, Hamburg bars and work through a few pics. until I suddenly recognised the picture of Oz on the wall above the bar in your last photo. In fact, I feel guilty at getting through on the backs of the other two.
        But it has shown an interesting little part of the city which I'm glad to learn about.
        Right, try this one. A poor photo with flare at the bottom, but where is this doorway?

        Ivy

        "To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

        Comment


          Re: What place is this?

          Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Well Ralf, Ombugge and Steve had already fastened on Hamburg and then you practically led us by the nose to this one! All I did was Google Altona-Altstadt, Hamburg bars and work through a few pics. until I suddenly recognised the picture of Oz on the wall above the bar in your last photo. In fact, I feel guilty at getting through on the backs of the other two.
          But it has shown an interesting little part of the city which I'm glad to learn about.
          Right, try this one. A poor photo with flare at the bottom, but where is this doorway?

          We are obviously at No. 9, which must be next to No. 10.
          Could it be where they intend to place offending newspaper editors and others who has fallen out of favour????

          Comment


            Re: What place is this?

            This was also my first thought. "Next to" means normally the opposite side of the street and face to face to Downing Street No. 10 should be then Downing Street No. 9: Westminster Abbey!! Could it be a side door? I checked that, but this is not correct here, because No. 9-12 are in a row. Unfortunately, the door looks different.

            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

            Comment


              Re: What place is this?

              Why is the door so low, since bell(s), number, knocker, door knob are all in a normal height?
              It is Gothik style and because of the ornaments it must have something to do with a church or a Royal Castle.
              I believe, this is British style and we are on the Islands again. Is it the entrance to a monastery??
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

              Comment


                Re: What place is this?

                Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                This was also my first thought. "Next to" means normally the opposite side of the street and face to face to Downing Street No. 10 should be then Downing Street No. 9: Westminster Abbey!! Could it be a side door? I checked that, but this is not correct here, because No. 9-12 are in a row. Unfortunately, the door looks different.

                I was just trying to make a joke.

                Comment


                  Re: What place is this?

                  Which could have been also Ivy's intention!!!

                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

                  Comment


                    Re: What place is this?

                    Go on, you two, you've got me doubled up with laughter!
                    Ivy

                    "To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

                    Comment


                      Re: What place is this?

                      Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                      Why is the door so low, since bell(s), number, knocker, door knob are all in a normal height?
                      It is Gothik style and because of the ornaments it must have something to do with a church or a Royal Castle.
                      I believe, this is British style and we are on the Islands again. Is it the entrance to a monastery??
                      But there was also a serious suggestion. Could you answer this one, please???
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

                      Comment


                        Re: What place is this?

                        Yes, Ralf, this is in the British Isles, but belongs to neither church, castle nor monastery. I am only asking what hamlet/village/town/city it is in. Don't worry too much about what the building may be. (When it is solved you will see why I say this.)
                        Ivy

                        "To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

                        Comment


                          Re: What place is this?

                          You are funny. The normal way is finding the building belonging to the door and then search for the place the building stands. In your opinion it is possible to find the place by only recognizing this door?

                          We have a lion knocker, a mechanic bell and an electric bell. We have the number 9 and three different doorlocks. Then we have a lion couple in the upper corners, a male and a female. I can also see a swan and typical - i call it Gothic - applications, the construction date of this door should therefore inbetween 1140 and 1550. And it is a small door within a large one. Is it possible to find the place with all these details? Which ones, put together, are making it unique? I know a lot of doors in the meantime, but i doesn't seem to get closer with all these details...

                          Or are you joking, and we must find another theory than "9 is near to 10"?
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

                          Comment


                            Re: What place is this?

                            Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                            You are funny. The normal way is finding the building belonging to the door and then search for the place the building stands. In your opinion it is possible to find the place by only recognizing this door?
                            Hopefully, Ralf, yes.

                            We have a lion knocker, a mechanic bell and an electric bell. We have the number 9 and three different doorlocks. Then we have a lion couple in the upper corners, a male and a female. I can also see a swan and typical - i call it Gothic - applications, the construction date of this door should therefore inbetween 1140 and 1550. And it is a small door within a large one. Is it possible to find the place with all these details? Which ones, put together, are making it unique? I know a lot of doors in the meantime, but i doesn't seem to get closer with all these details...
                            Yes, the door is said to be late 15th century. But you are wrong in one vital detail, and that detail is the only essential clue you need. If you can correct that it should lead you to ID the place.

                            Or are you joking, and we must find another theory than "9 is near to 10"?
                            No, I'm not joking, and the no. 9 is not significant in itself, only as a means of distinguishing that property from others in the area, just as your house no. is.
                            Ivy

                            "To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

                            Comment


                              Re: What place is this?

                              I have family staying at the moment, so have not had the time to try and solve this one, but good to see that Ivy is keeping you all busy! If it's not been solved by the weekend i will be joining the door hunt!
                              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

                              Comment


                                Re: What place is this?

                                Ok, i managed to find a spare 2 minutes........................

                                How about No.9 Nelson Street, King's Lynn, Norfolk, UK?

                                Have a look at the post on this page - about 13 posts down. http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/vi...php?f=3&t=3114

                                I really cannot take credit for this one though, remember the new google image search i mentioned a while ago? Yep, No.9 is top of the list.

                                Has i am busy at the moment i will hand this one over to whoever feels like posting a puzzle.
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X