What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Thank you for that wonderful puzzle. This made my day...
    Take your time with the next one... probably i won't step in here again before Monday... but anyhow, imagine what place this could be:

Last edited by Ralf__; July 15th, 2011, 17:03.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I was getting nowhere with the previous puzzle, though I didn't spend much time on it, must admit. But isn't this new one a simply beautiful picture, wherever it may be. I feel I want to print it out and hang it on the wall!
      What a mix, where can it be?????
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        What a mix, where can it be?????
        I am certain i know where, but pin pointing the exact location is proving to be hard. So let's see, what do we have? It's one of Ralf's puzzles, so i am guessing we are in Germany. Musical instruments, a maritime theme and a couple of footballs chucked in. Put that mix of things together and we must be in Hamburg. Yes, i think Hamburg, somewhere down by the docks. But what exact place i have yet to discover. Could be somesort of museum that's made some wonderful display depicting some of the things Hamburg is famous for. Or maybe it's a display in some interesting bar/restaurant.

I am stumped at the moment, i am sticking with Hamburg - probably near the waterfront. I shall attempt to find the exact location over the weekend.

P.S. Oh ok, i am not that clever to have worked that one out by putting together those clues - no chance. I will admit i had a further clue that helped somewhat.

Ralf's photo had the time and date information embedded. 10.38am, 17th April. So a look through Ralf's posts for that period led me to his stay aboard the MS Cap San Diego. And further detective work revealed that two hours after taking the puzzle photo, he was back aboard the MS Cap San Diego taking photos of the cabin! But sadly, after looking at all of the photos that Ralf posted in various threads relating to his weekend in Hamburg, i could not find any that were taken within a two hour period of the puzzle photo. So the trail runs cold there.

Oh well, back to Google i go!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve, you're a marvel! Staring at the photo I registered musical instruments, footballs and maritime connections and was quite sure that was deliberate. But it did not point me to anywhere in particular and certainly not Hamburg. You've obviously more or less got it, though if I have time I'll do a bit of Googling just for fun. Good luck.
          Ivy

Comment

Steve, wonderful detective work up to here. Yes, it is Hamburg, and yes it is related to the sea. And yes, i did not mention this place in my reports about Hamburg, because it is more well known to German people for a certain reason. But it would turn out too easy, if i give more clues right now. So i think it is enough to confirm all these conclusions. And i am sure that it is possible to solve the puzzle with all this information...

Comment

Reeperbhanen???????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                Reeperbhanen???????????????????
                This was one of the areas i was looking through last night. It was this areas connection with the Beatles that made me realise Hamburg's connection with music.

Obviously a very diverse area of the city, lots going on, but i am still unable to pinpoint Ralf's photo location. But having just reread the Wiki page concerning the Reeperbhanen, i have just noticed the part that mentions the history of rope making in the area. So that does tie in nicely with Ralf's photo.

Yes, i think you have narrowed the search even further Ombugge. But can the location be narrowed even further? I will look again this evening if it's not been found by then.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Dear friends. It is not at the Reeperbahn. Don't search there too much. There are other places with more relation to the seamen. I will help tomorrow with a second picture, if your are not successful until then.

Comment

Huh! Not that I've been able to give much time to this puzzle. Heigh-ho.....
                    Ivy

Comment

O.K. Here is the second picture. Just lower down the camera from the same place and you will see this:

Now it is clear what kind of place we are visiting... can you name it now?

Comment

I had assumed it was a pub of somesort and spent a few hours yesterday trying to find it, but no luck. This latest photo does seem to confirm it is a pub, but i am still no nearer to solving this one yet. I am thinking back to what Ralf said about this place being well known to local people for a specific reason, umm, i am thinking that is the key to solving this one.

I am still stumped at the moment, i have spent a lot of time looking through websites that list and describe various pubs and bars around Hamburg - most of the more trendy modern bars i can rule out just by reading a brief description. This must be a more traditional pub. The sort of place i think Ralf would enjoy visiting.

A question, is this on the main river front - the Elbe, or could it be situated around the canal areas?

Comment

It is a very traditional pub, the last of it's kind in Hamburg, they say about themselves. And it is on the main river front, however they erected some new buidings even closer to the waterline during the last years... i am convinced you will not need a third picture, which would make it then quite easy for German members...

I try very hard not visiting places, which i do not enjoy...

Comment

Well i have run out of time on this one, i shall be away for a few days now, so hopefully someone will be able to solve it whilst i am away.

I have looked through loads of Hamburg pub guides, i have even done a pub search on google maps, but i have not been able to find this one. For me it is being very elusive.

May other people have better luck!

Comment

Willis Bierstube in Hotel Hafen?

Photo by Harald Genuin
                              Last edited by ombugge; July 19th, 2011, 04:49. Reason: Add Photo

Comment

Sorry Steve, i checked yesterday the English keywords and it is really tough. Ombugge, you are on the right track, but at the wrong place. Concentrate your search to Hamburg Altona. I will add one more picture to give some more hints. Maybe some Germans know it now???

Comment

Working...
                                X