MAX VON SYDOW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAX VON SYDOW

The great swedish (and a bit French, that I didn't know) actor Max Von Sydow is dead.
    He had a brilliant international carreer but for me he will allways be the actor of Ingmar Bergman's movies,I discovered in the60's and 70's. Before watching them, I didn't know that cinema could be so powerful.

Here is an article and a video.
    https://www.france24.com/en/20200309...eal-dies-at-90

I first knew about von Sydow back in 1970-71, when he and our Norwegian Liv Ullmann starred in the great movies Utvandrerne and Nybyggerne, about people leaving Sweden to get a new start in America back in the 1800's.
    I was only 8 years when I first saw these two 3,5 hours long movies, and the content had burned into my mind and memory.
    Of course I was too young to watch, as the movies had a 15+ years age limit, but anyway.

Then, our tv distributor Get here in Norway lost the rights to send a few channels we use to watch for a periode, due to contract negotiations and such, and as a service we got their C More channels opened for a few days.
    There, on what they call the SF (Swedish Film) channel, they sent Utvandrerne and Nybyggerne again. That was the night before Max von Sydow died.
    Strange..., I haven't seen the two movies since 1970, then they pop up on my tv and then Max die.
    Rest in Piece, good man.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Yes two great films by Ian Troell. If I remember well they had an Oscar.

Comment

• Sterkoder
        Sterkoder commented
        Editing a comment
        Both films got each one Golden Globe, but was nominated for 5 Oscars. From Google, it seems like they did not get one though.
    Working...
    X