Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    started a topic Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk.

Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk.

This thread continues the story of my travels in Thailand in the threads:-

Travels in Thailand #1: Bangkok
    Travels in Thailand #2: The provinces of Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi and Nakhon Pathom
    Travels in Thailand#3 : Kanchanaburi
    Last edited by Seagull; December 15th, 2012, 18:19.

• Seagull
    replied
    Re: Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Thank you very much Dearest Lady C for bringing these great memories back to me....
    Well then, it’s time to move on in search of more memories for you dearest pakarang :-

On the road to Lopburi

My photos and memories of Lopburi will appear in an already existing thread of pakarang’s, so please, all of you that have been following me, don’t go searching in vain for a “Travels in Thailand #5”!

Likewise the continuation of this whole journey will emerge somewhat haphazardly, place by place, in existing threads and in new ones as appropriate. For, as I explained some posts ago, my original intentions of recounting these Travels in Thailand sequentially in a series of threads was overtaken by events …and most especially by a second visit to this country that has found a special place in my heart.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Re: Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi, Sam Chuk and Lopburi

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

Thank you very much Dearest Lady C for bringing these great memories back to me....

And look, "Talad Roi Pii" (meaning "market 100 years")... I've been there too!

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    replied

Such a wonderful apmoshere in those photos.
    And what a rich variety of food you found!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Emerging back on the street, I make my way back to the square where I am to meet my guide. I was very happy how we’d hit on the perfect balance of “guiding” and “me doing my own thing”. He was clearly especially glad about the latter on this occasion, for he had been able to do some shopping of his own in the market, and arrived back at the car clutching bags full of purchases!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I take a way through to look at the back of the houses.

There is an attractive walkway promenade along the riverside…

…with those wonderfully ornate typical old lamp posts.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Leaving Suphanburi for the drive to Lop Buri where lunch had been arranged, I was delighted to have the opportunity to stop in Sam Chuk and visit the market. Established over a century ago, it consists of a number of small lanes with wooden shophouses in traditional Thai style. Behind the lanes is the Tha Chin River, which is the reason for the establishment of Sam Chuk as a trading post.

In more recent times the river was no longer the chief means of transport and threatened also with the influence of modern trends and effects of government policy, the market fell into decline. It might so nearly have been completely demolished for redevelopment but for the local community. They have been the driving force in a conservation initiative and the market has received a Cultural Heritage Conservation award by UNESCO.

As well as in the wider context of cultural tourism, the market is popular with Thai tourists from Bangkok and elsewhere (who particularly appreciate the food and local delicacies) whilst also having ordinary goods for local people.

The lanes lead off this street, between it and the river.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

A beautiful treat retuning to find these new images added to the thread!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X