Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    Oh, a Buddha and temple thread....
    This has just got to be the most predictable post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just you hang on in there Ralf, I have still to spend time outside in the temple precincts, but then I will take you to the market town of Sam Chuk. . . . promise!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      That is one beautiful image of Phra Phutta Chinnarat...
      Pakarang, what a truly special guide and teacher you are, a single phrase leading me on to learn and discover more.
      Only now am I noticing that in this beautiful style from the Sukhothai era, the fingers are of equal length.
      (I have just repositioned our logo on this image into a more appropriate place so as not in any way to obscure this exquisite hand gesture.)

Comment

It has been a long time since I last posted this thread!!!! Well, perhaps I don't need that embarrassed smiley because I can see exactly how that happened …I’d gone to Norway to see a ferry called Fosen the following week, then a Thai Teddy and a 365 project totally took me over …by which time there was another ferry to go and photograph!!!! …and another year of many travels.

Little did I know when I posted that last image of Phra Phutta Chinnarat that by the time I was able to pick up this thread again I would have returned to Thailand and a made a pilgrimage to Phitsanulok.

But now join me once again as I continue wandering around the temple precincts of Wat Pa Lelai at Suphanburi.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Re: Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi, Sam Chuk and Lopburi

A beautiful treat retuning to find these new images added to the thread!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Leaving Suphanburi for the drive to Lop Buri where lunch had been arranged, I was delighted to have the opportunity to stop in Sam Chuk and visit the market. Established over a century ago, it consists of a number of small lanes with wooden shophouses in traditional Thai style. Behind the lanes is the Tha Chin River, which is the reason for the establishment of Sam Chuk as a trading post.

In more recent times the river was no longer the chief means of transport and threatened also with the influence of modern trends and effects of government policy, the market fell into decline. It might so nearly have been completely demolished for redevelopment but for the local community. They have been the driving force in a conservation initiative and the market has received a Cultural Heritage Conservation award by UNESCO.

As well as in the wider context of cultural tourism, the market is popular with Thai tourists from Bangkok and elsewhere (who particularly appreciate the food and local delicacies) whilst also having ordinary goods for local people.

The lanes lead off this street, between it and the river.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I take a way through to look at the back of the houses.

There is an attractive walkway promenade along the riverside…

…with those wonderfully ornate typical old lamp posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X