Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....Just some green grass in the area....
    JUST????!!!!??! …. It’s going in my imaginary “green room” along with a recent image from our SaintsFCFan

Comment

Just some green grass in the area
      "Just", he says. But what a delight. And, much as I enjoy all your photos, those first three at #70 are perfect, with the delicacy of the web beautifully caught while the light on the leaf is like a lamp lit from within - I'm glad you went into the woods to see what you could find, Svein!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I think there might be other threads which could be be the correct place to post this, but on the other hand I wouldn’t want those not so into photo technique or video stuff to miss it.
        This is for ALL of you who love Norway and virtual travel!
        Our Captain on his holiday has made some road trip videos, with a car mounted camera.

“Aurland to Stegastein viewpoint.”
        https://vimeo.com/45314749

“11point7 kilometers to Oppdal”
        https://vimeo.com/45296738

“The Amazing Trollstigen”
        https://vimeo.com/45359970
        …and the one you’ve all heard about as it can be done on a bus on a Hurtigruten excursion…when the weather is such that it's summer and the road is open!!!!…I first did it that way around Midsummer-time 2003, and vividly remember how surprising to see quite so much snow around at the top (the place you reach first coming from the ship at Geiranger), as seen here on the opening shots –rather more this year after the long winter. Then it’s downhill…hope you fastened your seatbelt for what follows!… Phew!!!! …you get a welcome rest at the waterfall viewpoint to recover!

Comment

A great thank to you Seagull for these wonderful links.And bravo to our captain for the films.Trollstigen one remind me my young years when in 1976 I did this road chiefly by walk.Fantastic scenery and experience...
          Yves

Comment

You walked downhill I hope Yves! Happy memories!

There’s another movie appeared earlier this afternoon…and then the last just as I was writing this!:-

“Over the Urdelie mountain”
            https://vimeo.com/45387081
            It goes at quite a pace, every bump and turn fitting brilliantly with the shifts of the music – "One for the Road" by Vialka (who I believe are French)

“From Eikesdalen to Sunndalsøra”
            https://vimeo.com/45398100
            Moody…tunnels…a gated road…off the beaten track and up into the wilds…and then a descent so crazy that the first reaction is to check the camera’s still there!

Comment

[QUOTE=Seagull;90978]You walked downhill I hope Yves! Happy memories!

Down AND up,Cecilia.
              In these years I was proud as a pea**** and had iron calfs.Nowadays I would do this trip,confortably sat in Jan-Olaf's car.
              Last edited by yvneac; July 9th, 2012, 10:14.

Comment

Great videos that our Captain is posting! That Trollstigen run is really amazing!

Comment

Another place in Norway that would be worth visiting;Haugsholmen

This used to be a thriving "trading post" and fish processing place as late as in the 1950s but has been bypassed by time.
                  It was also the last safe haven before Stadt for boats and ships coming from the north.

This week end it will be opened for visitors to see some of the amazing things that have been "left behind", literally and by modern technology.
                  Here is an article on smp.no about the event: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article482838.ece

Here is a series of pictures from smp.no: http://www.smp.no/bildeserier/articl...dex=17#pageTop
                  Unfortunately the text is in Nynorsk.(I don't know if Google translator can handle that??)

Has anybody been there??

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    “From Eikesdalen to Sunndalsøra”

https://vimeo.com/45398100

Moody…tunnels…a gated road…off the beaten track and up into the wilds…and then a descent so crazy that the first reaction is to check the camera’s still there!
                    It was indeed a crazy ride... it was supposed to be the scariest uphill ride, but it didn't really show well in the film.

There are no road barriers, there are big holes in the road, and over the side it's a fairly long fall to the bottom of the valley.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thanks for the road movie, but most of all your description. You know, I came down Visdalsheia 1. July and saw a roadsign pointing in the direction of Mardølsfossen, but had no time then. I decided to bring my family in our Ford Focus st.wagon that way to Eikesdal up the hill and down to Sunndal again.
                      As the Focus and Volvo V50 are identical, in undercarriage anyway, I'm not sure anymore.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        Thanks for the road movie, but most of all your description. You know, I came down Visdalsheia 1. July and saw a roadsign pointing in the direction of Mardølsfossen, but had no time then. I decided to bring my family in our Ford Focus st.wagon that way to Eikesdal up the hill and down to Sunndal again.
                        As the Focus and Volvo V50 are identical, in undercarriage anyway, I'm not sure anymore.
                        The road was hard, but off course, it all depends on how the car is driven too....

I had a Toyota Hilux for that ride, a car that is also heightened nearly 80 mm for additional clearance, and with 18" tires too.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I kind of got stuck listening to this young scientist telling about a project where the sand bottom of the Norwegian coast is investigated:

Comment

The small place Grong east of Namsos lives largely on salmon fishery in the river Namsen

Trones church from 1910. Trones is between Grong and Namskogan along the main road E6

A bit further north, Trøndelag ends and Nordland county takes over.

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 16th, 2012, 08:33.

Comment

I don't find a thread about Mosjøen in here, and since I don't have a load of images, I'll post'em here.
                              This is some from Sjøgata and the old part of town today

Mass produced sculpture, since I also found it in Sandnessjøen later today

Comment

An old restored Shell fuel station

Helgelandsbrua, voted as Norways most beautiful bridge, over to Sandnessjøen Sunday

Comment

Working...
                                X