Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

It seems like everything is working out.
    The PLM flights are all in the air now, with PLM6001 being my target flight, just passed Amsterdam. The very first, A321 Iberia, is arriving VA at 13:00 local time.
    PLM6001 has got an earlier arrival time, which makes it all easier for me.
    New time is now 14:06, so I'd better log off and start driving
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Just back and finished editing pictures from Trondheim airport-Værnes, where I got two of the three B-747s and the A321 from Iberia.
      These images are posted in the aviation departement.

After photographing airplanes, it was too tempting to stop and take pictures of the old Værnes church in Stjørdal. It is marked year 1794 on an old not working clock on the east wall of the tower.

The church north side

A door at the north wall

Seen from the south-west

Detail on the south wall

Tower, seen from the south-east, and a small part of the main entrance roof

Comment

Nice captions of details on the church. I particularly like the lines in the last picture, that's a good composition.

Comment

Thanks, Tommi...!!!
          I don't know why, but I find it very interesting to take pictures of churches. Something in their architecture appeal to me.
          Thinking about it, I got a few 'under my belt'..., and I hope there will be more to come.
          (The churches I got so far: Frei, Nordlandet, Kirklandet, Gjemnes, Øksendal, Værnes, Stiklestad, Røros, Sunndal, Grøa, Eisteinkirka, Dombås, Sakshaug, Nidarosdomen, Borgund, Edøy).
          In my area, I plan to get Straumsnes, Tingvoll and both the old Kvernes stavkirke and the newer Kvernes church.

Cecilia:
          If Tom McNikon was in town, I hope he covered the "Empress" visit...??
          (As I didn't drive all the way into town, naturally)
          And where is our captain J-O in all this action????
          Last edited by Sterkoder; May 28th, 2012, 12:29.

Comment

Much more than just “bonus photos” following your airport visit, Sterkoder . I like your churches of Norway “collection” very much. Perhaps the idea of “collecting” appeals to me…I started thinking of Norwegian churches in that context after you’d mentioned that interesting website link. Similarly in a ship context I remember how, after seeing a list of the names and numbers of Redningsselskpet vessels on CVF, I started to look out for them and take my own photos with particular enthusiasm.

I see a connection between these and your ship photography in that you take a good general view (sometimes requiring some ingenuity in finding appropriate “spotterplaces” from which to do so), and then delight us with your eye for detail. Photographically I shared Tommi’s choice, but perhaps the shapes of the penultimate photo even more so.

As for your questions about Empress, well I was just presuming that Tom will have covered the in-town views, though when I picked up about his visit he was mentioning the airport flights.

And as for our Captain, I was just presuming that he might have seen and photographed Empress from Korsfjord. I’m keeping a look out on trondheimsfjorden.net as well as here, as an “online newspaper” needs to be as quickly topical as possible and I imagine he’ll post there first when he comes off duty. How clever of you to have your airport photos already appearing there as a comment.

Comment

How clever of you to have your airport photos already appearing there as a comment.
              That's what TF.net is for...., report of "action" around the fjord.
              I'm not sure though, that I posted my images the correct way, as I would've preferred to have them shown as visitors scroll instead of having them as links...., if you see what I mean.
              Maybe it's because I used my Photobucket links and not the +image-button at TF.net...., I don't know.
              I have TF.net in the back of my head in case there is something happening related to such a great site.

Comment

Beautiful images from an area I have been to many times, but to be honest, I haven't seen a fraction of the sceneries you have been able to spot... well done!

I might have driven past them all.... need to learn to stop the car more often, much more often....

Wish you had come by Korsfjord on your tour of Trøndelag... .... I'm there.... most of the time, like a second home. Tom came by one night I was on nightwatch.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Wish you had come by Korsfjord on your tour of Trøndelag
                  Belive it or not, that's my plan...., one day.
                  I beg you to understand that it will be much, MUCH easier for me when on a photodrive by myself, than when the car is filled with better half, daughter, dog and what not...., on our way home.

(And when I go for such a drive by my lonesome, I will not tell. I might just stand there, on your ferry ).
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; May 24th, 2012, 00:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    Belive it or not, that's my plan...., one day.
                    I beg you to understand that it will be much, MUCH easier for me when on a photodrive by myself, than when the car is filled with better half, daughter, dog and what not...., on our way home.

(And when I go for such a drive by my lonesome, I will not tell. I might just stand there, on your ferry ).
                    You are heartily welcome on board, but by showing up un-announced, I might not have been able to fix my hair, brush my teeth and put on my Fjord1-tie....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I don't care. I like people living their lives as is...., so to speak.
                      (But as a capt. on board a public vessel, I understand that you have to have a certain appearance)

Now, some might have seen the images I took at the Atlantic Road in its designated thread. Then you'll know I went to Averøy to mow a lawn at my in-laws summer house.
                      After doing that, I took my camera into the woods to see if I could find something interesting to picture.

I'll let you be the judges:

Then, out of the woods again...

The white M on the blue sign there means MØTEPLASS (Meeting space). The road is so narrow it can only take one car.
                      If you meet an approaching car, bus or whatever, you stop at one of those Ms, or back up to one if needed. That way the other car can pass. (Norway, 2012.)
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; May 25th, 2012, 07:02.

Comment

arrrrrrrr...........no spider-alert for a person with the most total arachnophobia?

By kind to my heart, S...

Comment

Hahahahaha....., sorry! I would not normally laugh at peoples fobias, but honestly..., I din't see the spiders as anything than a normal fly or something. Just saw the web and all as a nice motif

Comment

Halten & Sula in Froan is a part of Norway that few people visits, or even know about. I found this photo series of 54 pictures from there by shear accident:
                            http://www.geophoto.no/froan2009/e4305597#h73ecb8f

In our modern time it is almost unbelievable that these bare "rocks" in the middle of nowhere could have been seen as a place to set up houses and make a living.
                            The attraction was the closeness to the ocean and the rich fishing grounds.

The area is now a Nature Reserve, but still with a permanent population of 63 (2001) according to Wikipedia.
                            The Main settlement at Halten is no longer populated during the winter months, but being maintained and used as recreation area during the summer.

PS> A cluster of small islands is named "Helvetet" (Hell). I wonder why??
                            Last edited by ombugge; June 22nd, 2012, 11:10.

Comment

Down from Ørskogfjellet 1. July. I think this is Ystind at 1162 meters

Tresfjord

About to start the steep drive up Vistdalsheia. 10% steepness on the road.

The road tops at 500 meters, and on my way down, I took a picture of a mountain I don't know the name of. It's 1337 meters.

Just some green grass in the area

Comment

And returning home, there was the familiar 994 meters high Reinsfjell

Comment

Working...
                                X