Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevlunghavn in Vestfold outside of Larvik

Nevlugnhavn - Larvik by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        No, I'm not sure it's abandoned, but we've been driving past this building to and from visits in Verdal for over 20 years now and I have never seen people, cars or any sign of life around it.

Yes, NSB (the national railroad company) usually sell off such buildings, but I know nothing about this station.
        And I agree with you; it really looks like it's in a certain shape and some sort of maintenance has been done over the years.
        I searched a bit and found out that it is protected as National Historic Building since 2002. It seems that it is still used as occasional station by Nordlandsbanen.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Re: This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Thanks, Ralf..., for your investigation!!

And thanks also Tom, for all those summer images reminding me of better times...., as in summer of 2010

Drove to Sunndalsøra today to take some pictures of veteran cars (own thread), but instead of driving via Tingvoll and Ålvundeid, I used the road via Batenfjord, Angvik and Øksendal (you all better get your atlases out).
          Not far from the suspention bridge in the Krifast connection, there is an old car ferry dock. I have been thinking about stoping there for years, and finally, today was the day...

This is the old Høgset dock at Gjemnes, used before the ferry dock put down for Krifast in 1992.

A Tjeld (Oyster-something) had a nest out there

And for some reason, they let the remains of an old dock once connected to a work shop stay...., in the middle of "nowhere"
          Last edited by Sterkoder; May 22nd, 2011, 00:56.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Just before this old ferry dock, coming from Kristiansund driving towards Batenfjord, is Gjemnes church.

And from that church, the suspention bridge looks like this

There are colonies of thousands of 'Krykkjer' (don't know their english name. It's a type of seagull though) on the suspention bridge...., under both sides of the driveway.
            This is bad for the concrete, but it is impossible to keep the birds away. They even made a slope of almost 40 degrees when they made the concrete form...., without any help.

Then, passed Batenfjord, and passed Torvik on road 666 (nope, this is not the highway to a warm place), was this beautiful motif below the road. Had to stop there to answer a phone. Then I discovered this old rusty grill and wild growing dandelion

Comment

And going home from Sunndalsøra, on the other side of the fjord than I came, I eventually come to the brigde over the river at Ålvundfjord. The river though is in use for power, so it is "tubed" and sent into a turbine

Looking over the Ålvundeid and out Ålvundfjord

Comment

Oh, why does this happen to me... I write a long reply, and it all goes away.... ARRGHHH....

Well, what I was trying to say is that there is so many new images to this thread, brilliant images.

I'm so glad that you actually stopped at Langstein and made those pictures of the train station. Of all the hundreds of times I have driven by, I have never made an effort to stop... just rush right by. I'm so thrilled that you actually took some time to explore this old building.

The bridge at the dam above Ålvundfjord gives me a lot of memories from my childhood: I have played in this area so many times during my summer vacations to this area. In addition to the beautiful beach down by the fjord. Good summer memories.

It's also a peculiar sight to see all those "krykkje" birds making a nest under that bridge. Not good for the concrete I agree, but to keep them away, only barb wires help. I guess it is lack of other suitable places have forced them to this location.

And Tom, your images from Nevlunghavn is beautiful. There is so much atmosphere and so much feeling of the perfect summers day in them. Those images really makes me want to visit this place, walk the dockside in the sun, and eat ice cream. This looks like a perfect place to spend some quality summer time. May I ask, when you shot these images, did you use a tripod?
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hadselfjorden

Comment

I like those clouds at Hadselfjorden!

Comment

Sterkoder - those birds on the bridge….Kittiwakes
                      And while I’m catching up further back in the thread, thank you for the great images of Langstein station. Such a great combination of stone and wood isn’t it.

As I scrolled and reached the picture #21/2 I thought for a moment it was one of pakarangs…something about the scene and the colour…and then of course I realised it was yours –but then to discover it was a place of special memories for him!

Comment

I thought for a moment it was one of pakarangs…something about the scene and the colour…
                        You know, the pupil eventually copy his/her mentor. I've attended a good school....

Honestly, thank you so much for highly appreciated comments!!!
                        And as for naming those "bridge-birds", thank you very much! Learned something new there, as I tend to live under the impression that everything looking like that are Seagulls
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; June 1st, 2011, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          ....as I tend to live under the impression that everything looking like that are Seagulls
                          They ALL count from a “something to please Lady C” point of view!!!!!

Comment

From Skrolsvik on Senja. Seen from HSC "Stjernøy"

Comment

Before the Atlantic Road was a reality, one had to use a car ferry to get from Averøy to Vevang, Farstad and Bud.
                              At the opposite side of Averøy was Ørjavik, and as this ferry stretch opened in 1955, it ended with the ferry "Vista" at the 7th July 1989 when the Atlantic Road opened.
                              Here's what's left of Ørjavik today (the ferry was not that slim as the first image can lead you to belive, as the car ramp is missing here)

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 31st, 2011, 17:40.

Comment

As my family including dog and I was away on Averøy, we drove over the Atlantic Road towards Bud.
                                About midway between AR and Bud is Farstad and Farstadstrand (which you can see in my last picture in post #13 of Doris' thread http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...oint-of-Norway

From the Farstadstrand beach there are walkways far out to the lighthouse, and that gave huge photo opportunities.
                                So here we go, Farstadstrand the northernmost beach of this type in Europe, at Friday 29th July

Comment

Working...
                                X