Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Coming back from my visit to Røros and Funäsdalen, Sweden (as you might have seen in other threads), I drove home via Tynset, Alvdal, Folldal and Hjerkinn down to Dombås for dinner at Frich's.
    Being at Dombås I decided to drive up to the trainstation, and it being a hub for Dovrebanen and Raumabanen, I expected to experience some degree of life and action.
    Totally disapointing! I mean, there's more action at Åndalsnes station...
    Also went inside the main building. Sad.
    It's not a happy feeling being a train traveller anymore, as everything is automatic, the curtains are drawn and doors are closed to where emloyees of the railway company would work before. Not even a kiosk for beverages, magazines and newspapers.
    Be yourself, do things yourself and manage without anyone interfer seems to be the tone.
    Dombås station, a just as cold place as the rest of the society.

After Dombås it was time to set course home via Dovrefjell and road E6 to Oppdal.
    Between Hjerkinn and Oppdal, in Drivdalen valley, I stopped at a place called Vårstigen..., or more correct; a parking spot where you can leave your car to walk the Vårstigen trail.
    The spottermobile pictured from down by the river Driva up against the mountains in Drivdalen

Even if we have July, it was no summer breeze blowing up there. It was blowing like it does in the autumn, and the left waterfall there is blown right out from the mountain side

Large stoneblocks from an old slide
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Without my tripod, and in the strong wind, it is not easy to show you an illution of the river stream, as I wanted the rocks on the river bed to be in focus. Anyway....

Upstream towards Hjerkinn

And there were quiet spots showing the clear mountain water of river Driva

Finally, driveing home via Oppdal, Sunndalsøra and Tingvoll..., this is the view that met me at Treekrem on road Riksvei 70.
      You shoud have seen Batenfjord, Bergsøy (barely visible), the floating bridge in Krifast and more

And coming home to Frei..., it was just as bad s when I left. Nice horse though...
      Last edited by Sterkoder; July 18th, 2013, 15:11.

Comment

I did not step in here for a while, so just just with some delay let me say thank you for this wonderful report. I enjoyed it very much and agree so much to your sentiments at Dombas station. It was the same, when we used the train during our Mosel trip. It is just the driver left and even there they are thinking about an automatic system. Scary!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

For all you Photographers in here and for those who just enjoy pictures from summer Norway: http://www.smp.no/bildeserier/article7973255.ece
          In my opinion there are too many pictures that has been photo shopped to where they don't look natural, but some like it that way.
          Is it 'ARTISTIC' or just un-natural???

Comment

Is it 'ARTISTIC' or just un-natural???
            The 'artistic' or un-naturality you see in the majority of the pictures (there might be more but I'm sure of 17 of the 29) is due to them being Instagram images, taken by a mobile phone, where one have all sorts of possibilities to make the images look like anything, with or without any frame...

Comment

I'd like to have a look at the thread which Ombugge gave, but will do that later.
              At the moment I must comment on Svein's photos which I peeped at the other day. First, the rich jade colour of the water in #162.6 and #163.1 is so beautiful, as is the light in the forest which you mentioned, Svein. The trees give shade and yet it is so clear. And maybe the lack of ground cover emphasises it, too. The oven for melting copper was a great find. A wonderful relic and well cared for. You said you went there on the way to Røros and there is copper there. Has Norway plentiful sources of this metal or is it just more or less in this area?
              I have to mention that spark. It's huge, who on earth uses it? Trolls?
              I enjoyed all your pics. of this journey, Svein, but I will just say that in #167 that water is perfect, even if you were disappointed in the stones. This fashion of depicting water as a blur takes all the character out of it. However, it's just a fashion and will pass one day, hopefully. Meanwhile, as shown on your photo, it is alive and wet!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Has Norway plentiful sources of this metal or is it just more or less in this area?
                There were copper mines all over Norway all the way from the 1500s up until today.

Examples are Gullnes Kobberverk in Telemark, Ytterøy Kobberverk near Trondheim, Kvikne Kobberverk, Røros Mines, Løkken Mine, Folldal Mine, and we even had a copper mine near Kristiansund..., up in Gustad on Averøy.
                Last edited by Sterkoder; July 23rd, 2013, 21:14.

Comment

Last time I tried my way (and managed) up mountain Reinsfjellet was back in my days of being a tobacco adict in 1995.
                  Then we decided to try again last Saturday, but had to turn around just a few meters from the top due to an inferno of lightning and thunderstorm.
                  So, yesterday, Friday 2. August we went up for the third time, and this time we reached the top, no problem.
                  I guess we walked about 5 km one way, started at 148 meters above sea level and ended up at 994. It was VERY steep!

Reinsfjellet (a picture of mine from page 4)

Just a bit over half way up and we see the bad weather close in from south

Later we learned that in Åndalsnes (in between the mountains in the picture center), 5 persons on a mountain were hit by lightning and had to be rescued by a Sea King from 330 sqn.
                  It's nothing to joke about to be at a mountain in a thunderstorm

The communication and tv masts on the top

We hope the fog/cloud would clear off (but we now know it got worse)

The steep path up is marked with high markers, due to the deep snow which is usually there during the winter.
                  A sign at the start down in the valley say that the markers are on the left side going up, subsequently on the right side going down...

Comment

A few more from last Saturday

Then we tried for the top yesterday, and reached it after a 2 hours steep walk...
                    On our way we met this guy...., a 5 cm long larva. Anyone know what type?

Half way up again, this is how the view should be to the south

Comment

Closing in on the top, at the spot where we turned around last week-end, we see the small community Torvikbugt below, we also see Gjemnessundet suspention bridge

On the top, the radio amateurs have a small house for their equipment. The smaller mountain in the background is 629 meters high Freikollen in Kristiansund (actually at Frei)

Bergsøysundet floating bridge, Bergsøy and Freikollen, Kristiansund in the far distance

Bergsøy

In a panoramic looking picture we see outer Nordmøre county, with Kristiansund in the center

Comment

What a beautiful place. I had to look up Bergsøysundet floating bridge - fascinating.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

To the north east we see Tustna in the distance with Straumsnes and Aspøy in front.

On the mountain top is the old communication antenna mast

Old and new mast

From the east part of the top

This concludes my Reinsfjell pictures...

Comment

Between Ålvundeid/Ålvundfossen and Sunndalsøra is a power station called Rennset. The water comes pouring down to the power station from Rennesvannet via this huge tube

The waterline is running underneath road RV-70 to Kristiansund

And I was tempted to try b/w when I was there

Comment

What a series of pictures, Svein! The group showing Reinsfjellet in different moods somehow drew me straight into the scene. That first one at #173.1 was a charming image of an infinite variety of pastel shades, both sky and land, while after several moody pictures there was #174 with the storm approaching (or departing). The composition in the two following photos was great, especially with the mist curling round the base of the masts.
                              Not so attractive for me was that larva! It looks like a strip of raw meat, doesn't it? I wonder what it develops into - something stunningly beautiful, I hope, to compensate! Then back to the masts, that last one is a fine view, makes them appear to be perched precariously right on the edge of the outcrop.
                              As to the Rennset power station, I was impressed by the scenes of that pipe. Purely as a picture and apart from its factual interest, I loved #178.4 as seen from beneath - the colours are stunning. As to the B/W, I don't know about you, but I think I prefer the second one, Svein, perhaps because it is a close-up of detail, with good contrast.
                              In all, great photos. Thank you.
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you for making comments!
                                Yes, the storm was approaching, and I must admit to putting my camera away when it dropped down on us and we were in a scene from a Hollywood-like catastrophy movie.
                                I regret that now, but I'll tell you..., it was completely impossible to take pictures.
                                We were just waiting for the next lightning to come down either in our heads or at least very close. Not a good feeling at all...

As weather does in all mountain areas (so please be aware if you ever visit a mountain area), weather changed in the blink of an eye.
                                It went from near unlimited view to not seeing anything beyond 30 meters in 10 seconds.

The one reason it was ok to have experienced it, was that it showed what Mother Earth is capable of, so that one can have respect for the nature.

Comment

Working...
                                X